Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

As promised for those who asked, here are some images of the underside of board E. Hopefully this makes it clearer how the legs are attached/unattached.

attachicon.gifimage002.jpgattachicon.gifimage003.jpgattachicon.gifimage001.jpg

Hi John,

Thanks for the photographs, a picture paints a thousand words ...... who loves ye baby (I know it's a bread song but I always remember Telly Savalas' version first). anyway once again thanks for the photos.

Ian

Very fetching legs.  What size and wood are they made of?  And the frames/tops, is it 6mm ply?  Inquiring minds wish to know, as I have 14'x18'' of boardyness that needs making and I may have a go at it myself if it's a) simple and B) cheap!

Yes it is 6mm (1/4") ply and the square section timber is 1"x 1" planed which finishes at about 21mm square. I have used birch ply which is not cheap but you do get a better finish with it. As for it being simple, I think so!! Have a go and if I can be of assistance just ask.

2 Down - 8 to go!

post-10660-0-19788500-1361036686_thumb.jpg

It is getting a bit cramped in the shed now but I wanted to join the two boards together so I can judge if the rigidity is acceptable. Unfortunately there is still a bit too much movement so a slight modification may be needed. No progress for the next couple of days as I am playing with the big trainset tomorrow then off to Wales on Monday to see some progress on someone else's 4mm layout. Ho hum!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The first of the double deck fiddle yard boards now completed. Three more to go then build the legs. I need to get the boards up and connected together before they can be finished off properly, hence the reason that the tops are not completely fixed yet. The other boards can be seen in the background except board E which is behind the camera.

post-10660-0-15044500-1362072301_thumb.jpg

More anon!

• Like 5

Interesting arrangement for the fiddle yard.  Have you got any access to the lower level?  Or will you trust to excellent track laying to ensure you won't need to?

And how will you lay the track in there? Looks like the modelling equivalent of keyhole surgery.

Alan

Happy days!! board No 10 (J) completed.

post-10660-0-37099400-1362420382_thumb.jpg

Well, at least as far as it can be for the time being. The upper deck cannot be fixed in place on any of the FY boards for the following reasons. I need to erect the boards to get the lower deck aligned accurately first. I then need to experiment to see if the gradient is ok for my locos and stock. Then I can attach the upper deck and get it aligned accurately, it will of course be removable so that the track can be laid on the lower deck. I also intend to cut access holes in the sides once the position of the upper deck is established. Note the recessed section at the end of the lower deck for the loco cassettes and the shortening of the upper deck for access to these. The upper deck will have a similar facility.

So next thing is to crash on with the leg construction - watch this space!!  John E.

• Like 7

Legless no more Andy!!

post-10660-0-34045400-1362677893_thumb.jpg

All legs now complete but still require fitting to the boards, adjustable feet and a couple more corner brackets. A short break now as it is time to play with the big trainset again (and photo a certain diesel!!).

John E.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Up to 1961 and a few years later the Leeds-Morecambe trains were steam hauled, in the fifties by Midland compounds then when they were done the last of the unrebuilt Patriots. I don't recall DMUs on trains [i lived by the Wennington- Morecambe section] but I had lost interest after about 1963 although I do recall Black 5s on them, the last train in 1966 when the Wennington to Lancaster line closed to passengers was hauled by a Black 5. Class 4 2-6-0s [Mucky Ducks] were also used and perhaps the odd Crab. One Std. class 5, 73010, a Holbeck engine, was frequently seen and various Holbeck Jubilees and Scots on trains like the "Residential".

Edward

• Like 2

Up to 1961 and a few years later the Leeds-Morecambe trains were steam hauled, in the fifties by Midland compounds then when they were done the last of the unrebuilt Patriots. I don't recall DMUs on trains [i lived by the Wennington- Morecambe section] but I had lost interest after about 1963 although I do recall Black 5s on them, the last train in 1966 when the Wennington to Lancaster line closed to passengers was hauled by a Black 5. Class 4 2-6-0s [Mucky Ducks] were also used and perhaps the odd Crab. One Std. class 5, 73010, a Holbeck engine, was frequently seen and various Holbeck Jubilees and Scots on trains like the "Residential".

Edward

There are also photos taken in the 1962-63 period of Sulzer Type 2s (Class 25s) and Type 4s (Class 45s) on Leeds-Morecambe workings. The big Sulzers, I understand, were used on these trains for driver training purposes.

As for the steam locos used, I agree broadly with Edward. The sequence of locos used from the mid-50s to the mid-60s was in the order of Compounds, Ivatt class 4s (to 1961/early 1962), un-rebuilt Patriots (to mid 1962) and then Black 5s. Crab 2-6-0s also appeared. Wasn't the Leeds/Bradford Residential divided/combined at Skipton with the loco from Morecambe going to Bradford and a new loco put on the Leeds portion? I've seen a photo of a Fowler 2-6-4T waiting to take over.

• Like 1

Thought it was about time I posted an update on the boards construction. Looking a bit like an advert for the flat earth society, boards A to E have been erected down the centre of the shed so that I can get at both sides. As each board was erected, the final fixings for the legs were fitted and adjusted along with the inter baseboard connectors and alignment dowels. This lot now needs dismantling and the process repeated for the storage boards F to J.

post-10660-0-24156700-1363974411_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-31871700-1363974429_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-68975000-1363974443_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

One of the things I really liked about Bradfield was the sense of hanging over the wall and watching a slice of actual 1960s day to day ordinary traffic.  This one is going to be even better, like a time machine.

When's the first public outing? :D

Not until October at the earliest.

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Kevin.

• Like 2

I hope you don't mind but I've got a question about your Bradfield Gloucester Square layout.  I'm looking to purchase a DCC sound decoder soon for a Class 45; whose decoder did you use in D48 please, shown here?:

• Round of applause 1

I hope you don't mind but I've got a question about your Bradfield Gloucester Square layout.  I'm looking to purchase a DCC sound decoder soon for a Class 45; whose decoder did you use in D48 please, shown here?:

All my Diesels are fitted with South West Digital sound chips. I have tried others but prefer SWD, they may not be as loud but I think the sound is clearer. SWD also do the sound that is on the factory fitted chips on the Bachmann Peaks. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress report! Having lost two weeks over Easter I have re started work on the boards. This time it is the fiddle yard boards that run down the back of the layout . 

post-10660-0-12790500-1365955675_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-11610500-1365955680_thumb.jpg

Some suitably placed stock gives the idea of what is to be with the two storage levels. The upper level has yet to be fitted, one board has been placed in position to demonstrate the concept.

post-10660-0-76810900-1365955684_thumb.jpg

A shot of the detachable worktop come storage board. This is designed to clip on top of the fiddle yard in any location and any way around, it can be slid along to gain access to stock on the upper level.

It is fair to say that I am becoming bored with boards and can't wait to get laying some track!!

Regards John E.

• Like 12