Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Thanks SGJ. We've looked at these previously. Note that there's only a double track into LCN by Leeds City Jcn signal box and the overall roof over platforms 1-4., so changes were made (I think) in the 30s and again in the early 60s. It shows the general disposition of the place and look how crammed the North carriage sidings were!.

The Leeds Terminii book (Challenger Publications) contains similar images but taken in the early 1960s.

Have spent some time on the Templot track plan tweaking the design for the first part of the scenic side of the layout. This represents Leeds City Junction, or part of it as I can't fit it all in. In reality, the four tracks curve away in the opposite direction up the Aire Valley towards Shipley. On the plan, the two outer tracks are the up & down fast lines followed by the up & down slow. The two inner tracks represent the exit from City South onto the viaduct line (ex LNWR) which climbs up and over the Midland near Holbeck Shed. The double junction from the inner pair to the slow lines was originally called Canal Jct but became Leeds West. Just off scene at the top, another double Jct came off the slow lines and curved around to engine shed jct, this is the part of City Jct that I have had to omit. The remainder of City Jct is on the next board consisting of a double crossover from the slow to fast lines but at this point they become the North and South arrival and departure lines respectively. The exit from the loco area on the south and the entrance to the North carriage sidings are also controlled from this box. The red lines are the baseboard edges and joints which have caused some frustration in designing the formation. One aspect that I had not appreciated is that when curving a formation it elongates it considerably. City Jct box sits on the right hand side hard up against the baseboard edge. The Leeds and Liverpool canal runs under the formation at about 45 degrees.

post-10660-0-70753700-1391360156_thumb.png

So much for the theory, time now to get sticking some sleepers down and firing up the soldering iron!!!!

Questions and comments are always encouraged and appreciated. John E.

• Like 8

Well its been an interesting week. The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that the timbering was not right on the above drawing. I normally adjust it when I stick the timbers down, Hah! Not this time, I got in a right pickle. Also, as some may know, I had decided in the interests of expediency to build in copperclad but after cutting and sticking ten quids worth of it down it just did not look right!! So it was a case of back to the drawing board to sort out the timbering and an order for around £150 off to the EM storeman to get some proper timbering, jigs et al. In the mean time I have been making crossing Vee's, 16 in all. This prompted me to tally up the total build of point and crossing work for the remainder of the scenic side, over 50 plain turnouts, 7 diamond crossings, 2 double slips and 1 single slip. Oh' and a turntable of course. September is looking far too close for comfort!

John E.

............. over 50 plain turnouts, 7 diamond crossings, 2 double slips and 1 single slip. Oh' and a turntable of course. September is looking far too close for comfort!

John E.

Only just over 2 a week John - why panic yet ? :jester:

• Like 1

So much for the theory, time now to get sticking some sleepers down and firing up the soldering iron!!!!

Questions and comments are always encouraged and appreciated. John E.

Hello John,

Quick question - are you sure you are happy with such "flat" diamonds on such a curve having fixed obtuse crossings?  Would you not rather go for moveable switch diamonds? 

Best wishes,

Hello John,

Quick question - are you sure you are happy with such "flat" diamonds on such a curve having fixed obtuse crossings?  Would you not rather go for moveable switch diamonds? 

Best wishes,

A good point Howard and one that has occurred to me. Having printed them out they don't look too bad so the proof of the pudding etc will be to try one I think. Watch this space!!

John E

Well another "interesting" week! Having re drawn and printed out the templots yet again and stuck down the sleepers, I decided to heed Howard's warning and build one of the crossings first. Guess what, he was spot on! Whilst I could probably get away with it most of the time, I am now convinced that switched diamonds will be a lot more reliable. So a bit more tinkering with Templot and a new set of templates, however, the alignment of the rails is still the same so I can use the old templates to build on, meaning that most of the timbers can remain where they are!! The prototype did not have switched diamonds but then again it did not bend through 180 degrees either. The other bad news was that after placing my order with the EMGS storeman, a notice appeared on the site to say he was moving house and the stores would be shut for at least two weeks, Ho hum! It has not been a complete waste of time though as I have managed to pre-fabricate most of the V crossings for this piece of trackwork.

post-10660-0-47490900-1392548718_thumb.jpg

Anyone got any details of the chairing on a switched diamond?

• Like 6

Guess what, he was spot on!

Anyone got any details of the chairing on a switched diamond?

I am glad I made my post - I am feeling a lot happier that you have avoided a trap:-)

Re how they were set out, as usual, Martin has done the hard work for us:-

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1960&

Good luck!

Edit:- it looks like you might have to move two or three timbers...

Edited by HAB

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if this has been said before but there was certainly at least one switched diamond at Leeds post the 1960 rebuild.  That was the one that carried the line from the viaduct route (Ex LNW) across the route towards Holbeck and the Midland Line  towards the old Platform 5. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Another week gone and not a great deal of progress to report. However, having decided to go for the switched diamond, it was a case of out with the old and in with the new...

post-10660-0-47315400-1393175753_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, the centre timber is missing. This is because I am still awaiting delivery of fresh supplies and this needs to be a ply and rivet sleeper so that the rail can be soldered for strength. In fact I am now at a complete stop until more materials arrive. All is not lost though as it is giving me time to concentrate on other important issues. I have been concentrating on the signal box diagrams which will help ensure I leave enough space to get the signals in the right place. I have also acquired some old BR appendices which have shed more light on operations.

• Like 4

Just to whet the appetite of those of a signalling persuasion, this is progress so far on the SB diagram. There are a few more details to be added and of course the track circuits. The problem is though that this is based on the only diagram I have found so far which is dated 1962. This is of course after the rebuilding work started and City Junction was relaid and resignalled. The period I want to do is prior to this. As far as the station box is concerned the signalling is much the same but there are subtle changes. I suspect that some of the points had been motorised and the colour light signals from P5 and P6 seem to have altered. The diagram in the Swift collection is not detailed and does not include the numbering so that is why I have started with this. It will of course be modified in the light of any information un-earthed as time goes by.

post-10660-0-08424700-1393330675_thumb.jpg

Comments??

Edited to update diagram.

Edited by TheLaird
  • Like 5

Just to whet the appetite of those of a signalling persuasion..............

Comments??

Can't see any Bradfieldesque yellow shunt signals to catch out the unwary 'drivers' :senile:

Edit - and that isn't at all bad......

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

Can't see any Bradfieldesque yellow shunt signals to catch out the unwary 'drivers' :senile:

Edit - and that isn't at all bad......

You've got to keep your mind on the job when theres a Yellow shunt disc around leopard!

Laird, I'm really liking this so far, I can already imagine a plethora of Peaks running up and down although pre 62 there'll not be much Yellow on the fronts which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 2

I don't understand the need for number 21 signal (halfway down arrival direction, platform 5) - would someone care to enlighten me please?

Thanks!

Edit to correct platform number.

I believe that it protects the exit from the centre sidings.

The other half of the story!! 

post-10660-0-41128100-1393338861_thumb.jpg

Again this is the first attempt so any comments would be welcome. This is the pre 1960 track plan and I have taken most of the info from the Swift collection. You will notice that there are quite a few numbers not yet used and some points etc that should have numbers but they are not on the Swift diagram!! Further research is obviously required. The scenic part of the layout finishes at or near signal 18 so only about half of the junction will be modelled. There is also a crossover missing that I cannot fit in on the model.

Edited to update diagram. Missing crossover now included.

Edited by TheLaird
  • Like 1