Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

After a meeting on Monday of some of the Ops Team, I have decided to abandon the gradients and go for Gilbert's train cassette idea!! So today, the FY boards have been taken down and we are now back on the level. Just need to re do the board alignment dowels on one joint and raise the legs by 25mm. Of course the approach point-work will all need re designing so back to good old Templot - but not whilst the sun is shining, beer time!!

Well, the sun has finally stopped shining!! The shed has been unlocked and the tools dusted off and I can't believe that is was June when I last posted. So some progress at last, I am concentrating on getting the fiddle yard up and running first so that I can test out the cassette idea. As this is my first foray into EM gauge, it will give me a test bed to try out my loco and stock conversions.

post-10660-0-71251800-1381942480_thumb.jpg

The area for the loco cassettes can be seen at this end along with embedded uncoupling magnets. The two MK1s give an idea of length.

post-10660-0-24029700-1381942332_thumb.jpg

Four boxes of SMP track layed, joints and gaps cut and tested for electrical isolation. Next job is to start the wiring, tomorrow all being well.

John E.

• Like 13

Earlier on this year when discussing the time-scale for this project, I said that I would be disappointed if I had nothing running by the end of this year. So here is a short clip showing the first ever movement on the new layout. A momentous occasion! 

Did I also mention that I have taken a booking for its first showing in September next year - no pressure there then!! The Peak and two MK1s are the sum total of my EM gauge stock at this moment in time, a busy few months ahead.

John E.

• Like 14

Hi John,

How did you convert the 'Peak' ?

Sorry for delayed reply Andy but just got back from sunnier climes!! I used the Gibson conversion pack which is a grand title for a set of wheels and axles. Relatively straightforward to do once you get the gears off the old axles. I should get quite good at it with the number I have to do, not looking forward to doing the steam loco's though! However, for now I intend to crack on with the fiddle yard. I have decided to put an additional crossover in on the approach so cutting and sticking copperclad at the moment.

John.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update was requested so here it is at last.  I have spent quite a bit of time constructing cassettes as I needed to be satisfied that this idea would work and be practical to operate. I have made three sizes, the longest is designed to hold 4 MK1 coaches, the medium length for two coaches and a short “loco” cassette. The accompanying pics show how they are stored above the FY. There are two docks, north and south, and the pic shows a large cassette on the north dock. Current thinking is that I may be able to store and transport the stock in the cassettes as they have been designed with minimum clearance so that stock cannot fall off sideways. Plastic foam sponge is used to secure the stock in position. I transported a large cassette loaded with coaches on the back seat of the car on a 150 mile round trip with success, no derailment.

post-10660-0-76102800-1387560116_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-56767000-1387560130_thumb.jpg

The pointwork for the FY is now complete with the extra crossover constructed and fitted on the corner board. This will allow simultaneous arrival/departure on the north and south sides of the station. I have had a bit of a setback, some visiting steam loco’s were unable to negotiate the FY pointwork which makes me think that I may have made it a bit too tight but have decided to live with it for now.

post-10660-0-65286000-1387560093_thumb.jpg

Electrics and control systems are the flavour of the day and I have almost completed installing the DCC power bus on the FY boards. I am using servos to operate points and signals and some pics show the method of mounting.

post-10660-0-01333700-1387560104_thumb.jpg

I intend to use relays for “V” switching.  Because I want to operate the layout realistically based on two signal boxes, a great deal of thought and discussion has gone in to the control system. I am going to try using the MERG C-Bus system for controlling points and signals but use DCC for the Loco’s. C-Bus should give me the flexibility that I require to achieve interlocking. A friend who is an electronics whiz has offered to construct some of the printed circuits in return for me constructing his signals, so that is what I am doing at present.

post-10660-0-74902700-1387560140_thumb.jpg

Hopefully in the New Year I will be able to crack on with the trackwork on the station boards.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...