Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold

It's facing the other way?

2-aspect R/G mounted under the canopy, protecting 30 points, probably preceeded by either 20 or 31 - i.e it couldn't be cleared unless one of those was showing off.

TheLaird - Be careful with Swift diagrams - they are not always correct.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I've got it now, Beast!  The way it's shown on the diagramme made me think it faced the other way, rather than it being underslung....the black line and arrow head underneath/above it.  It's OK, I have woken up now.....

I'm going to enjoy this thread, the layout would be pretty much what I would do myself given the space (and time and money etc!).  There's something about long rakes of coaches threading through pointwork starting on their journey.

'It's better to travel than to arrive'.

• Like 1

I have also acquired some old BR appendices which have shed more light on operations.

So what did the appendices reveal? Looking at the list of lines, I found it interesting that all four lines between LCJ and LCWellington are shown as permissive block for passenger trains, not just the platforms. Possibly because of this and also the tight curves at the junction, the max speed anywhere on the area modelled was 15mph with a 10mph restriction over the junction to LCWest box. A quick calculation suggests that at 15mph, it should take around 50 seconds to travel the scenic side of the layout.

Another interesting find is the concession that allows two loaded passenger carrying vehicles to be hauled between the two boxes without a brake, also for two loaded passenger carrying vehicles to be propelled. Why one wonders? The answer I believe is to facilitate the working of the UP Leeds-St Pancras Sleeper! Previous research into carriage workings (courtesy Robert Caroles site) revealed an intriguing situation as follows. In the Down direction, the Leeds sleeper left St Pancras at 12.05am arriving Leeds 5.34am. Consisting BG, SLSTP, SLF, BSK, CK, SK, SK. On arrival, the 4 day coaches (all ex LMS P3) were detached and sent ECS to Bradford at 6.10am. The Sleepers must have remained in the platform until after 7.30am as this was the time according to the public timetable that passengers could remain in their berths. The two sleepers were then removed to the station carriage sidings and the BG to be unloaded. The return service was not until 2.23am, however berths were available for occupation from 11pm so the two sleepers must have been positioned in a platform prior to this time with presumably a Loco attached for heating! The WTT shows the Up Glasgow Sleeper leaving Leeds at this time and a check with the carriage working notice shows the two Leeds sleepers being attached to this train. This brings us back to the appendices and the reasons for the concession referred to above. Sometime before the arrival of the Glasgow sleeper at 2.12am, I imagine that the Loco for working the train forward would collect the two sleepers from the platform, take them out to the junction and be ready to propel them back in onto the Glasgow once it had arrived and then be in position ready to depart. An 11 minute turn around! All this without waking the occupants?

John E.

.................All this without waking the occupants?

John E.

It would depend on the mood of the shunter I guess. During the early 80's I travelled on the Euston / Inverness Sleeper quite a few times and only once was I woken by the attachment / detachments at Preston and Mossend Yard. At least the Mossend yard awakening allowed me 3 'cops' :locomotive:

• Like 1

The EM Storeman delivered last week so there is a little progress to show on the trackwork. This is going to be a long job!!

post-10660-0-05316400-1394214676_thumb.jpg

The progress report is a bit earlier than usual this time as the ops team are off to Wales this weekend for a spot of running on WR metals!!

John E.

• Like 12

Hi John

What is the function of Signal 53 on Platform 1 please, seems a bit pointless?

Ian

Hi Ian, I am a little mystified myself as to the purpose of this signal. If it was to split the platform then you would expect similar on the other platforms and No1 is the shortest of them all. Because the platform is short, the starter looks to be obscured by the canopy and I wondered if this could be the reason for it, but then a repeater would suffice! So I am open to suggestions from anyone on this and any other points that seem odd. 

I really do need to devote some time to researching the signalling controlled by the station box as it appears to me to be far from straightforward, but other priorities are taking up my time at present. The signal box instructions and an accurate diagram prior to 1960 are my "Holy Grail".

John E.

From a different angle this week, all crossings are now fabricated and fixed in position. I shall pick up some more supplies from Nottingham tomorrow along with a new file hopefully as the next task is filing the point blades!!

post-10660-0-93257700-1394889510_thumb.jpg

Regards John E.

• Like 10

New files purchased and put to good use this week, all point blades complete and installed.

post-10660-0-91815900-1395511540_thumb.jpg

The P way team have had a good week as the underlay has been fixed and the board joints sorted so that the trackwork can be laid. However, tie bars need to be fitted first and wire in tube installed for operation. The next pic gets things in perspective, still a long way to go.

post-10660-0-55431400-1395511560_thumb.jpg

As well as the P way team having a good week the Navvies have been busy digging out the Leeds and Liverpool canal!!

post-10660-0-35501900-1395511568_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

What type underlay you using John as looks like thin polyfoam wrapping type ?

Ken, I use the 2mm thick poly foam insulation used under laminate flooring, sold in 10M rolls and stuck down with acrylic carpet adhesive. Gives good sound insulation on the ply boards.

John E.

Thanks John as researching the usual track laying I came to the thought of double cork layers for what others say for sound insulation, obviously this down to many factors of construction methods and material used etc. It was only some thicker poly foam in a house refurb that this gave me the idea and you are the first I`ve seen use it.  Thanks again and look forward too your updates.

Cheers

Of course, no matter whether you use foam or cork as underlay, the number of wire droppers and turnout connections will still channel noise through to the baseboard. More if you use real ballast on the track. However, this layout is not being operated where noise is an issue(?). Maybe for those of you who are still at the stage of laying track, perhaps using polystyrene or foamcore construction for the baseboards would reduce noise transmission?

Well now I'm confused - apparently this is no longer a "real" location?

Well spotted Ian. As I am now entrenched in the construction phase, I thought it more appropriate to move the thread to the layouts & workbench area where others may benefit from my efforts and hopefully I can benefit from useful comments and observations. A few people had commented that it was not easy to find where it was! However, I can confirm that it is still a "real" location with a few necessary compromises and compression.

John E.

Captains log Stardate 30314.. oops wrong thread! Anyway, the S&T and P-Way gangs have had another good week. The prefabricated pointwork was fixed down and the cross baseboard tracks completed, making the connection with the fiddle yard. The board joint was then severed allowing the last fiddle yard board to be taken down and stored with the rest. Tie bars have been made and fitted along with the wire in tube that leads to the baseboard edge awaiting servo's to be attached. At this point it became clear that the drawing office had let the side down as not enough clearance was available for the signals between the fast and slow lines. So the job has come to a stand whilst new drawings are prepared. This is not as simple as it sound as creating more space on the bend pushes the whole formation on the outside backwards, two days have been spent so far sitting in front of the PC wrestling with templot. In fairness it must be said that I have decided to concentrate on completing the drawing for the remaining point and crossing work at the same time.

post-10660-0-34274200-1396175758_thumb.jpg

Having taken down the last fiddle yard board, I have been able to turn things through 90deg and get the scenic boards up again ready for tracklaying etc. This shot shows how far I have yet to go and board A is yet to be attached!!

post-10660-0-56184100-1396175764_thumb.jpg

John E.

• Like 13

Hi Ian, I am a little mystified myself as to the purpose of this signal. If it was to split the platform then you would expect similar on the other platforms and No1 is the shortest of them all. Because the platform is short, the starter looks to be obscured by the canopy and I wondered if this could be the reason for it, but then a repeater would suffice! So I am open to suggestions from anyone on this and any other points that seem odd. 

I really do need to devote some time to researching the signalling controlled by the station box as it appears to me to be far from straightforward, but other priorities are taking up my time at present. The signal box instructions and an accurate diagram prior to 1960 are my "Holy Grail".

John E.

Given it is a main aspect stop signal, I can only imagine that it is there to split the platform, to allow two trains (of two or three coach lengths?) to rest there when required.

Ben

(Edited to remove superfluous "stop" (I thought I'd already got rid of it, blo0dy thing))

Edited by George Leacon

Another week gone! A few more materials have been delivered on site during the enforced stoppage whilst new drawings were awaited. Said drawings appeared on Wednesday and work recommenced. However, it was a false start as it soon became apparent there was a better way of doing things, so as they say back to the drawing board. In total I have spent nearly five days solid, bog eyed in front of the PC but I think it has all been worth while. I have managed to tweak the alignment of tracks in the station area and am more happy with the flow. Most important was the realisation that there was too much of a gap between tracks where Wellington box sits. As this is the most photographed location I deemed it important to get it right and I think I have now achieved this. It did mean re-drawing most of the station area and North sidings.The other thing alluded to above is the single slip No 66, down to up fast backing moves. This was really tight, just over 24inch radius. It occurred to me that the same could be achieved by making the next crossing along (points 30) into a single slip, so this is what I have done. Not as per the real thing but then again neither is the 180deg curve!! So the final drawing has been produced and the Pway gang can crash on. 

post-10660-0-04918200-1396716666_thumb.jpg

A 20% drawing of the front of the layout is used to ensure things look right and that there is room for signals etc.

post-10660-0-18682100-1396716674_thumb.jpg

The other half of City Junction under way. Seven of the fourteen "V"s required for this bit of PW fabricated. The nearest point is No30 and you can see the single slip next to it which is much shallower.The old slip is to the right of this and will become a fixed diamond..

• Like 12

Not much progress to report this week due to real life getting in the way again. Playing with the big train set, visitors with dodgy chips in new Bachmann locos and doing some 12" to the foot modelling all contrive to delay the important things in life! However, I have completed soldering up the 14 Vee's, also completed cutting and bending to suitable angles 14 pairs of wing rails. So next job is to get the jig out and start fabricating the crossings. Playing with the big train set again tomorrow and Tuesday, plus of course Easter looming and more visitors so watch this space for how much gets done!! - John E.

• 2 weeks later...

So Easter has come and gone along with associated visitors and other distractions. Despite the foregoing, I can report that the next piece of P&C is complete and as you can see from the pictures below I am now completely around the bend!! Next up is the point, diamond and double slip that gives access to the North Carriage Sidings. Once these are done, all the pointwork controlled from the junction box will be complete and ready for laying.

post-10660-0-67347000-1398530013_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-08329200-1398530025_thumb.jpg

• Like 12