Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Tony,

Have you found any problems with the rodding due to expansion in the extreme heat of the last while?

Chas

Good morning Chas,

Not at all, but I 'cheat'. Though it's not visible in the pictures, I make each run about nine inches long, all soldered solidly together. When I butt-up the next section, I sort of 'overlap' the ends, one bit going alongside the other, thus creating an 'expansion joint'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Does anyone know what a Tri-ang R 406 gadget does? 

I've got a few, from an estate. I've looked inside the brown box thingy, and it would appear to contain a solenoid of some description, but there doesn't appear to be any linkage for operating anything. There are 'sockets' for wires, but that's it. I've not tested them, but they're in good condition.

Are these any good to any 'collectors' out there? You can have them for a modest donation to CRUK. 

Please let me know.

Does anyone know what a Tri-ang R 406 gadget does? 

I've got a few, from an estate. I've looked inside the brown box thingy, and it would appear to contain a solenoid of some description, but there doesn't appear to be any linkage for operating anything. There are 'sockets' for wires, but that's it. I've not tested them, but they're in good condition.

Are these any good to any 'collectors' out there? You can have them for a modest donation to CRUK. 

Please let me know.

It is an automatic train control device. It should come with isolating rails to plug the relay/solenoid into. as the loco goes over the break, it should start a second train off elsewhere.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

• RMweb Gold

When the Wills plastic rodding appeared, Ian Wilson bought me a pack to try. I thought 'The answer to a prayer', but no. It's huge for 4mm (nearer 7mm?), won't go underneath 'scale' rails and you'd never fit those runs you have. Rather a disappointment, because, at first glance, it's perfectly-formed. I suppose the restrictions of making it in plastic mean it would be too fragile if made to 'scale'. 

So, it's a bit at a time with the soldering iron............................

Regards,

Tony.  

Wills made some money out of me, at least, because I did buy several packs of the stuff, and even laid a few metres, before becoming dissatisfied with it. When I came to relay (re-lay?) some track, the Wills stuff had to go, and hence the purchasing of the MSE parts at Railwells last year. I confess no soldering iron went anywhere near this lot, though.

I notice that Wills advertise their point rodding in Model Railroader, as being suitable for HO, in which context (unless American point rodding is much beefier than our own) it's going to be even more overscale.

Al

Edited by Barry Ten

Thanks Mike,

... .

In fairness, this country is rich in dialects, but should national presenters/journalists use dialect? Interesting. 

Towards the end of WW2. I can remember hearing the news being read by one Wilfred Pickles in a broad & W' Riding accent,(he hailed from Halifax, I believe?

Having spent most of my earlier years in either the south or the south-west of England I could hardly believe my ears.

Now, many years older and possibly wiser - I hope - after several years spent traveling round both in  England & in Wales I say: "Long live regional accents and dialects.  It will be a sad day when they die out.".

:locomotive:

• Like 1

The "Sunny South Express"?

East Croydon to Milton Keynes Central via Shepherds Bush?  maybe not !!

I suppose you could use it to get from Liverpool Lime Street to Brighton avoiding London termini but you'd still have to make a couple of changes.

The whole point of holiday expresses was of course to avoid making changes while encumbered with luggage, small children etc.for reasons that this clip illustrates marvellously 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmPXrk00R4k

P.S. (mode pédant) the first shot is not Argentan but Dol de Bretagne and the locos are ex Etat 141Cs not the more modern 141Ps ,(fin de mode pédant) 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

East Croydon to Milton Keynes Central via Shepherds Bush?  maybe not !! (though probably useful going the other way for getting to the Derby)

Well presumably there was a return working from Brighton and Eastbourne to Liverpool and Manchester - perhaps it was called the Rainy North West Express? Sounds like the same route to me anyway - Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction via the West London Line.

• Like 1

Wonderful work, Graham,

Thanks for showing us all the progress made.

Speaking of progress, astonishingly, Little Bytham is almost complete (or as complete as any layout can be said to be). The baseboards were made and the first tracks laid a decade ago and, apart from a three-year gap caused by my chronic depression (2011-14), progress has been continuous. It's a testament to all those who've contributed that the overall standard is so consistent. 

Has it 'achieved' what I'd hoped? I think so, and the principal objectives have all been met, or, at least, I hope so. These have included a sense of real space (and a sense of place), with no visible too-tight curves (it is the fastest stretch of railway in the realm, after all), the minimum of compression (a 'lost' 14 inches) and few compromises over representing the real location (on the GN, at least). It works (very well) and most of the locos/stock have been built, almost without exception regarding the former. 

What's left to do now is almost entirely up to me. The MR/M&GNR signals will be working in a fortnight (thanks in advance to Tony Gee), and it's really the point rodding which is the outstanding requirement (or my finishing it off). That, and my building of the correct girder bridge. I'm told the sheets won't be long in coming (thanks again, Jamie; who, by the way, did all the drawings/artwork for nothing - when I'm next in France, the pictures are on me). 

I'm really privileged to have such a crack team (including yourself) to put everything together, all helping each other and almost all of it achieved by 'bartering' in one form or another. Indeed, so many people have wished to contribute to it (and have done so), just because they'd like to have something they've made on LB. I'm indeed humbled. My most grateful thanks. 

Not only that, it's been part of a 'vehicle' for generating funds for Cancer Research. Last month Mo and I 'achieved' our target of £1,000 for this year. Already, we've got a further £200.00. Could we make £2,000 by the end of 2018? We're going to try! 

In the light of all the above, I've taken a few shots this evening - just to show how it's all coming (come) together. 

attachicon.gif60113 on Up express.jpg

Taken from Marsh Bridge, Class A1/1 GREAT NORTHERN romps through the station on an UP express. The completed footbridge shows up well in this picture.

attachicon.gif60120 on Up West Riding.jpg

Moving along a bit, another Up express is captured, this time The West Riding, hauled by A1 60120 KITTIWAKE. Though I've started the rodding at this end, there's still much to do. 

attachicon.gif60155 0n Up Newcastle 01.jpg

Another A1, this time in the guise of Tyneside-based 60155 BORDERER, heading the morning fast from Newcastle, which included cars from Newcastle Tyne Commission Quay and the ex-Silver Jubilee catering triplet (visible beneath the spire of St. Medard's).

attachicon.gif60155 0n Up Newcastle 02.jpg

A view of the same train from a different angle. The point rodding's inclusion here has really 'made' this scene (at least to me), but there's still 'miles' of it to go north and south. When I've built the proper MR/M&GNR girder bridge, shots like this will look much more realistic. 

attachicon.gifDELTIC on Down White Rose.jpg

And, seen from that bridge, DELTIC hums northwards on the Down White Rose. I think this view conveys all I'd (we'd) hoped to have achieved with LB. This is a scale-length train, yet it's 'lost' to some extent in the overall scene. There's almost no 'selective compression' (indeed, from this viewpoint, no compression at all) and it's reminiscent of what this place was like 60 years ago. 

When you install those somersault signals, and all the mates bring their locos/stock, it'll be back to 80 years ago. Just as it was when Joe Duddington drove MALLARD into history, as he did 80 years ago tomorrow! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Afternoon Tony,

It's looking fantastic, apologies for not visiting for ages. Looking forward to seeing photo's of the LNER version though. 

Travelling with the 2018 LNER last Friday, I suspect there's not a great deal of 30's sights left, but you can snap up Essendine ticket office for 85K if of interest.

Best Regards,

Lee

Good Afternoon Tony,

It's looking fantastic, apologies for not visiting for ages. Looking forward to seeing photo's of the LNER version though. 

Travelling with the 2018 LNER last Friday, I suspect there's not a great deal of 30's sights left, but you can snap up Essendine ticket office for 85K if of interest.

Best Regards,

Lee

Thanks Lee,

What price Little Bytham's? At the moment, it's full of junk. 

When I played cricket for Castle Bytham, the pavilion's tables and benches had come from Essendine's waiting rooms in 1959, after the station closed. I wonder what happened to them after the club disbanded? 

They were by far the most-substantial of the building's structures. I don't know if you ever went to Castle Bytham's ground, but it was very interesting. The pavilion was falling to bits, but it had that wonderful aroma of squirrels' nests, rotting pads and linseed oil. The men's lavatory was not even Third World; what the ladies' was like, I cannot think! 

Wonderful times, though, and a great shame, as with many villages now, no cricket is played now in the Bythams.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Pity the pub can't use that LB Station Room for extra accommodation. (After reconstruction inside of course).

Train enthusiasts would appreciate the rather loud and fairly busy passing rail traffic.

• Like 1

Just a short time ago with regards to the hour of the day, but 80 years ago, MALLARD would have dashed by on her way to setting the all-time speed record for steam.

60022 MALLARD 02.jpg

60 years ago, she might have been dashing by, but not at record-breaking speed. Still, it's nice to recreate those memories from my own trainspotting days.

60026 MILES BEEVOR.jpg

It wasn't just the record-breaker, though. There were another 33 A4s to cop, including 60026 MILES BEEVOR (the most inappropriate A4 name?), heading north on the Down Scotch Goods.

Is something thing up or rather down on Mallard's reverser? Or is it the camera angle? Edited by davidw

Good evening Graham,

there are almost no two signals alike on that stretch of the line south of Leicester Central. John had to produce a lot of his own etchings as well as using commercialy available parts, I suspect that the main support bracket is probably one of his. I will check with him and get back to you to see if it is something that is available in some form. I include a couple of shots of the actual signal that I am using as a painting reference, as you can see the model is pretty much a straight copy, or it will be when it gets a bit of weathering.

Thanks Andrew,

I'll PM you to avoid hijacking Tony's thread any further.

Graham

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Andrew K McCosh  is surely the most awful name for an A4!

Gadwall gets it for me. Described by the RSPB as a very grey coloured dabbling duck... with an obvious black rear end. Surely there are more notable birds that could have been chosen.
  • Like 1

Is somthing up or rather down on Mallard's reverser? Or is it the camera angle?

Nothing to do with the camera angle, David, or lens aberrations and all that twaddle. 

MALLARD's reversing lever is bent, and just needs straightening. It's etched brass and has got twisted in handling. 

Not only that, her front numberplate has the correct '6', when it should have the incorrect, curly-tailed sort, and either the loco is leaning too far one way or the tender the other (or both are). 

It's no good blaming cameras for out-of-kilter modelling, especially the powerful ones I use. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gadwall gets it for me. Described by the RSPB as a very grey coloured dabbling duck... with an obvious black rear end. Surely there are more notable birds that could have been chosen.

Or CAPERCAILLIE?

Hardly a bird noted for 'swift or powerful flight'. 

• Like 1

Or CAPERCAILLIE?

Though wasn't Gresley a huntin' shootin' fishin' type in which case he might have quite liked naming his locos after some of his targets.

I've always had a soft spot for Gadwall given it was sequentially next to Mallard has always been overshadowed particularly given its eventual grisly end (btw my spell check has just tried to change 'grisly' to 'Gresley'!). The veritable Ugly Duckling.

• Like 1

Or CAPERCAILLIE?

I've always liked Capercaillie. The big loss, in my opinion, was Golden Shuttle. I don't have much time for the old mens names, SNG excepted. Good Gravy, they will be naming them after regiments next.

Meanwhile, in deepest, darkest Durham...

My little contribution to the forthcoming Little Bytham 'retro' weekend. Our Glorious Leader ('Sir') was heard to say during initial discussions: 'of course, some of the signals were somersaults in the pre-war period'. That sounded like a challenge if ever I heard one.

attachicon.gifDSC03082.JPG

Two of the signals were identified for retro-conversion so here they are well on their way.

attachicon.gifDSC03104.JPG

Of course, this is all complete madness as they'll only be in use for a weekend(!!) but - hey - I'd only be watching the football or something.

attachicon.gifDSC03202.JPG

More soon, with less than six weeks to go...

It's all good Graham, just chuck them in my suitcase, I'll look after them for you until the next weekend.  :sarcastic:  :haha:

• Like 2