Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gordon s said:

....Do I relax and push ahead with complete disregard for dismantling and knowing it will have to be scrapped, or compromise the layout build with the thought I may have to take this apart one day?

With a build time of 5 years plus to start again, perhaps I shouldn't worry because at 72 the clock is ticking and it's better to get full enjoyment from what you have, than think what if's all the time........:D

Interested to hear what other's do who have faced this issue....

My layout is being built in 4-5 foot long modules as if it was for exhibiting, but it is supported by battens mounted atop shelving units (Ikea’s excellent IVAR system) rather than transportable legs or trestles.  Whilst it is therefore relocatable, it is not planned for regular transportation.  The main reason for doing this rather than building the whole layout as one, is to allow working on the wiring and point motors etc by simply removing a section and standing it on its edge, rather than having to contort myself with soldering iron in hand, underneath the boards.  It also means that if we end up downsizing our home in the future, it - or at least parts of it - can be resited.

Being fully DCC, wiring between the boards and the control panel is a doddle, just the bus wires, using computer style D-plugs.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Yes.  Grimsby Docks.   I used to work at the National Provincial Bank on the Corner of Riby Square about 500M from where these Photos were taken.  Can't remember what the chimney is but the oval topped building is the Dock Tower, a hydraulic reservoir for the dock gates.  Then you can just see the Grimsby Cold Storage Building.  The level crossing here was a right pain because a fair bit of shunting took place and you could be stuck there for ages.  (like Lincoln main street).  The alternative route (cannot remember the name but it was a narrow shop lined busy street so you were between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.  What is interesting are the colour light signals.  I don't remember them at all although I suppose they could be traffic lights.

61319 is sitting in front of  a Garage sign (above the Tender) on a Gantry that says Victoria 'something', is it Newtown?.....Would that be because it is in the Victoria part of Manchester?

Oops sorry, already mentioned. Enjoyed the bit of sleuthing though. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RoyLowe said:

As promised some pictures of my Grimsby town layout. I have been working on it for 10 years and it is now complete, as far as I’m concerned. Planning to have it featured in BRM if and when the lockdown is over. Roy273971EC-BB1F-4696-9E6B-F5443EEB718D.jpeg.0100a0c1227a75f104215f545bf4a8f4.jpeg

B65E80E6-7B34-46FA-9426-BBB799E48C56.jpeg

5740BD32-BD84-4B49-9A78-DA29DDD7C51F.jpeg

CBA21B62-CA02-4D01-8ED4-F974E8876917.jpeg

6F81CD11-FEC6-4078-8DAE-C259C96E35ED.jpeg

No doubt some compromises have had to be made but that just shouts Grimsby at me! You have captured the place very nicely. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Lecorbusier said:

Whilst browsing youtube for an idle moment I came across this ..... marvellous for me as it features Monsaldale ! ... but what an eclectic mix of locos.

Although I prefer the look of the edwardian era the great thing about that line in that period was the mix of locomotives and traffic.  I've been trying to find footage of that line for ages but there doesn't seem to be that much available.

If you know where more footage of that line is available don't hesitate to let me know as I'm wanting to build a model on that area when I get the space.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MonsalDan said:

Although I prefer the look of the edwardian era the great thing about that line in that period was the mix of locomotives and traffic.  I've been trying to find footage of that line for ages but there doesn't seem to be that much available.

If you know where more footage of that line is available don't hesitate to let me know as I'm wanting to build a model on that area when I get the space.

There's plenty in print if you didn't already know; print has the advantage of being a lot clearer than movie films of the time so you're more likely to be able to make out loco numbers and train formations.  Bill Hudson's "Through Limestone Hills" is probably the definitive history of the line - one of the best railway histories ever written IMO - and there are plenty of photo albums, such as from the old Bradford Barton series, which cover the Peak District and include the Midland Main Line.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My aforementioned friend (who built Stafford) always used to recommend, when moving home, to search for a suitable railway room with house attached.

Hi John 

That is what Mrs M and I planned, sort of. The stables and land came first, followed by a barn or something where I could be hidden from view. We found a property which we liked, the land and stables were what she wanted, but no barn. Not a problem, once we moved I could build one. Up to then I would use the garage and continue to use my then existing layout. Off Mrs M went to Lincolnshire to see the bungalow and stables. 

Before coming home she phoned me saying that the place was what she wanted. She went to say that the garage wasn't any better than I had would I like the living room. 20 by 15 feet, indoors not to far from the kitchen and loo. What could I say but yes. 

Don't worry we have a family room about the same size as the toy room which meets our needs, it is south facing so most days pleasant to sit and over looks the stables which Mrs M likes. 

While typing this I am watching a Black Five on a express from Manchester Victoria to Sheffield and a Hunt on a stopper from Grimsby in my hide away. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, RoyLowe said:

As promised some pictures of my Grimsby town layout. I have been working on it for 10 years and it is now complete, as far as I’m concerned. Planning to have it featured in BRM if and when the lockdown is over. Roy273971EC-BB1F-4696-9E6B-F5443EEB718D.jpeg.0100a0c1227a75f104215f545bf4a8f4.jpeg

B65E80E6-7B34-46FA-9426-BBB799E48C56.jpeg

5740BD32-BD84-4B49-9A78-DA29DDD7C51F.jpeg

CBA21B62-CA02-4D01-8ED4-F974E8876917.jpeg

6F81CD11-FEC6-4078-8DAE-C259C96E35ED.jpeg

While some of the surrounding buildings appear to be "the right general sort" as opposed to exact models of the real ones, the intended location is in no doubt and it looks very nicely done.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

There's plenty in print if you didn't already know; print has the advantage of being a lot clearer than movie films of the time so you're more likely to be able to make out loco numbers and train formations.  Bill Hudson's "Through Limestone Hills" is probably the definitive history of the line - one of the best railway histories ever written IMO - and there are plenty of photo albums, such as from the old Bradford Barton series, which cover the Peak District and include the Midland Main Line.

Thanks, I've acquired quite a few books on the line, including the ones mentioned.  Just not seen much footage of it sadly.  I think it features in Blue Pullman by BTF right?

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Well an interesting set of posts.  First Roy, what an excellent layout.  Then the two pictures I would have sworn were Grimsby clearly are not.   That explains the smoke stack I couldn't recognize and the electric signals.  

Don't worry,

I thought it was Grimsby at first.

But doesn't it show the knowledge available here?

Thanks to all, once again.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My aforementioned friend (who built Stafford) always used to recommend, when moving home, to search for a suitable railway room with house attached.

That's what we did 14 years ago and its not the first time, but the third!

Each time I've ended up with a larger railway!

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Added comment
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Brendan,

If it is Manchester, then the B1s are at Victoria. 

Which would explain the colour lights.

61002 was shedded at York and 61319 at Darlington, so it could be Manchester. 

I think this is one marvellous thing about this thread. The rich vein of knowledge. I've learned a huge amount from it.

Grimsby or Manchester? No doubt the location will be confirmed later. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I cannot remember colour light signal brackets at Grimsby Docks-and the tower looks vaguely like the Dock tower, but is not tall enough.  Don't let this put anyone off-I would be delighted to see more Lincolnshire and B1 photographs 

7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

That's what we did 14 years ago and its not the first time, but the third!

Each time I've ended up with a larger railway!

Andrew

I started with a 20ft attic in a 2 bed property. Then had a 18ft garage in the next, then 16ft along one wall of the open plan living area, and now the layout is boxed in the garage as there is no space to put it up due to all the bikes. Bigger kids so bigger bikes. I must be doing something wrong as I am getting less space every time we move house.  I need andrew’s help next time we go house hunting. 
richard 

• Friendly/supportive 9

3 hours ago, jrg1 said:

I cannot remember colour light signal brackets at Grimsby Docks-and the tower looks vaguely like the Dock tower, but is not tall enough.  Don't let this put anyone off-I would be delighted to see more Lincolnshire and B1 photographs 

'-I would be delighted to see more Lincolnshire and B1 photographs' 

I have plenty to choose from (which I know are in Lincolnshire); I'll have a look through today. 

Model pictures for this week? B1s......

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I am coming to the conclusion that COVID-19 has wrecked my career plans for the next three years (i.e. until retirement).

So I am now looking at taking an early retirement and buying a property. Having space for the serious "final project" model railway is a principle criteria. Difficult to do in the UK but plenty of properties in France and Spain with large attics and outbuildings, often both. Of course, we know from RMweb that there are already many UK-prototype layouts abroad including Carlisle (EM) and Lancaster Green Ayre (0).

Some nice crossing keepers' houses available but they do not often have a large space available (one does have a cellar). The most interesting from a railfan perspective is a pair of 1930s(?) semis both with cellars. Built at the time of electrification for rail maintenance workers (and close to a substation), they are just across a lane from the main Paris - Toulouse main line. €32,000 for both! So plenty of money left for triple-glazing and earplugs.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'-I would be delighted to see more Lincolnshire and B1 photographs' 

I have plenty to choose from (which I know are in Lincolnshire); I'll have a look through today. 

Model pictures for this week? B1s......

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes please Tony.

26 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Boddington's Brewery is a good clue as to the location!

Yep, or even 'oddingtons'. I recall making a pilgrimage there in the late 70s. The beer wasn't particularly nice then, although interesting, and dispite being heavily promoted and becoming a national brand when acquired by Whitbread in 1989 (later part of Inbev) it has since sunk without trace. The brewery was closed in 2005. So much for the cream of the north.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, grahame said:

Yep, or even 'oddingtons'. I recall making a pilgrimage there in the late 70s. The beer wasn't particularly nice then, although interesting, and dispite being heavily promoted and becoming a national brand when acquired by Whitbread in 1989 (later part of Inbev) it has since sunk without trace. The brewery was closed in 2005. So much for the cream of the north.

It was "different". I rather liked it back then. There was a Boddington's pub in Carnforth which was a regular watering-hole on Merrymaker trips from London to the North-West.

Whitbread's wrecked it and the remaining Boddington's in cans at the supermarket is very average.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Whitbread's wrecked it and the remaining Boddington's in cans at the supermarket is very average.

When the brewery closed the cask version continued to be brewed at Hydes in Manchester but was eventually withdrawn in 2012. What is brewed now, by A-B InBev in Samlesbury, is only keg and nitro-cans which is a pale imitation of the former famous beer and nothing like the original cask version.

• Informative/Useful 3