Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

Hello all,

Having wrestled with the blog and found it a bit unwieldy, I've decided to follow the lead of many others by starting a topic in here instead. The blog can be found here but it is really just a summary of the old topic from the previous board! I've included a couple of photos from the blog below.

blogentry-1044-12578752883434_thumb.jpg

K1 62024 rests on shed.

blogentry-1044-12578750596519_thumb.jpg

A little later, 62024 leads a train of empty coal hoppers out of the yard past the station.

I've managed to take a few photos over Christmas whilst I've actually had some free time, so I'll add some more on here in a little while when I've got them sorted out.

Sorry for the profusion of different entries on different media!

Arp

• Like 16

Don't give up, Colin! It's taken my pa a lifetime of practice at modelling and 15 years of work to get this far. I guess it just shows what you can do if you have patience and retirement on your hands!

My dad and I had a bit of a running session tonight, using the Q6 on the pick-up goods to drop a few wagons off in the yard and have a play around. I took some photos too which I hope you enjoy. All photos are 'clickable' for much larger versions.

post-1044-12619617621884_thumb.jpg

The trustworthy J94 collects an NCB breakvan (which is used on the colliery branch) from the shed where it's been having light repairs done.

post-1044-12619619454556_thumb.jpg

Bringing the van out of the yard. The yellow posts and markers are to indicate where the uncoupling magnets are placed and are not visible from the 'viewing' side.

post-1044-12619620289923_thumb.jpg

A view of the station from the hillside behind the pub. Blackgill itself (a small stream) runs in a culvert immediately behind the fence in the foreground.

post-1044-12619621269905_thumb.jpg

The peace is broken by the sound of a Q6 wheezing slowly out of the tunnel up the 1 in 50 with the daily pick-up goods to Consett.

post-1044-12619622798717_thumb.jpg

The train clanks over the level crossing and past the station, gradually slowing to a halt.

post-1044-12619624335031_thumb.jpg

63379 comes to a halt on the Down line at the station starter, ready for the loco to shunt the goods yard.

post-1044-12619625638145_thumb.jpg

The required wagons are uncoupled and backed over the crossover to access the yard.

post-1044-12619626400496_thumb.jpg

A view over the colliery reception sidings.

post-1044-12619627236871_thumb.jpg

The loco then pulls forward into the shed yard to drop off some vans.

post-1044-12619628068426_thumb.jpg

Our engine for the day. Note some more yellow indications of uncoupling magnet locations!

post-1044-12619629152204_thumb.jpg

The train now sets back into the goods shed road to commence shunting.

post-1044-12619629622789_thumb.jpg

The shunting done, some vans are dropped and coal wagons collected.

post-1044-12619630463027_thumb.jpg

The rest of the train waits patiently on the mainline.

post-1044-12619631050016_thumb.jpg

Having backed out of the yard, the loco heads back over the crossover to rejoin its train and head on to Consett.

post-1044-12619631928383_thumb.jpg

Or in this scenario, to run around the train and head back down the hill to South Pelaw and beyond.

That's all for now folks. I hope you enjoyed the latest installment!

Arp

• Like 8

Hi Kevin,

The layout is fictional but is based on the line that ran from Ouston Junction on the ECML up to Consett and eventually Blackhill. The name is an amalgamation of Blackhill and Stella Gill, the two ends of the line!

And about the station buildings, they're the standard North Eastern wooden affair based on components from a number of different stations in the region. If I remember correctly (which isn't necessarily the case!) the main station building is based on the one at Hessle on Humberside, but is also very similar to the ones which stood on Beamish station. The platform shelter is based on somewhere else and the engine shed is modelled on the one at Haverton Hill on Teesside.

Hope this helps.

Arp

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Great to see more of Blackgill, it was one of my favourite layouts on the old forum. I didnt know you already had a blog here, I must have missed it.

I have to admit I dont look at the blogs very often as I find them rather slow and cumbersone to browse. I much prefer the forum section.

All the best,

Dave.T

Guest oldlugger

Terrific layout Arp! The Q6 is a lovely model - perfectly weathered. The P4 track is also spot on!

Nice one

Simon

I return armed with actual information! It turns out that only the platform shelter is based on that at Hessle from a drawing in a book (possibly one of the North Eastern Railway Architecture books). The rest of the buildings are based on scale drawings my dad made from photos of the stations on the Annfield Plain deviation, namely Shield Row, Beamish and Pelton, all of which are of a very similar timber-built design. By assuming that the dimensions of the doors in photos are 2'6" by 6'6" it's possible to work out the dimensions of the rest of the building quite accurately. The attached goods shed is an uncommon feature but was included for reasons of space. There were some examples of this on the North Eastern Railway, however, such as at Stokesley. The signal box is based on that at Beamish.

I've got a few more photos to put up here so I may as well add them now too.

post-1044-12627258589585_thumb.jpg

A bit of a blurry photo but hopefully it shows a bit more detail of the coal drops from the other side.

post-1044-12627278685351_thumb.jpg

Q7 63462 works up the bank to Consett with the lengthy fuel oil train. Hopefully there's a banker on the rear!

post-1044-12627281217882_thumb.jpg

The station starter is now off and the driver can dig deep for the climb ahead.

post-1044-1262728690144_thumb.jpg

Pulling past the engine shed and on its way.

post-1044-12627289238877_thumb.jpg

65670 rests outside the shed.

post-1044-12627292640744_thumb.jpg

A general view over the shed yard where a couple of ash wagons sit awaiting filling.

post-1044-12627294676091_thumb.jpg

The J25 has pulled forward under the coaling stage.

post-1044-12627295990548_thumb.jpg

The bus driver from the number 5 to Consett has nipped into the pub (yet to be built!) for a breather. All is quiet at the station.

That's all for now, folks. Hope you enjoy.

Arp

• Like 7

Hi Arpster

absolutely terrific.

The small details, weeds, grass, broken fencing, drains, etc, really bring it to life. Your excellent photography make for an inspirational layout. Not to mention your fathers handywork.

Is your father going to add some figures?

Mark

Hi chaps,

Mark: yes, there will certainly be figures, vehicles, animals etc added when it comes to the finishing touches. The last major job is to construction of The Shepherd and Shepherdess Pub on the corner by the level crossing, then it's onto rolling stock, locos and working out how to run the bloomin' thing!

Ian: the ash ballast is, well, ash! Ash from the fire crushed down and sieved to a fine grain and then laid as normal ballast would be. Some different coloured ashes were used in different locations (e.g. where locos stand and outside the shed). I think some powdered chalk was also used to add different colours, such as the reddish tinge to the Down line where the full ore trains would deposit pellets along the track.

Hope this helps,

Arp

• Like 2

• 1 month later...