Who makes OO gauge kits of Manning Wardle Locomotives ?

I would really love a Manning Wardle industrial locomotive but nobody does anything like this as RTR so I will have to look at kits. RT Models does a Manning Wardle loco kit without motor, wheels or gearbox. Has anybody built this kit and what did you think of it ? Does anybody else make a kit for these locos ?

Just for the record, Impetus produced kits for the Old I Class and the K class 0-6-0s.

Peter K also do a kit for a K Class, here's Metropolitan's rather fine build.

However, totally new kits for both of these locos are available from RT Models.

Good news on the F class Roger, I've wanted one for a while now.

As you seem to be willing to build a kit, why not have a go at a bit of RTR bashing? I don't usually approve of that sort of thing but this isn't simply a case of rubbing off the BR numbers and slapping a coat of paint on an RTR model..

Last year, at a show (at Swanwick Junction IIRC) I spoke to a fellow who had converted a L&Y pug to a Manning Wardle H class. The finished and painted item looked pretty good too.

http://www.pagenumberone.co.uk/downloads/H%20Class.pdf

As you seem to be willing to build a kit, why not have a go at a bit of RTR bashing? I don't usually approve of that sort of thing but this isn't simply a case of rubbing off the BR numbers and slapping a coat of paint on an RTR model..

I have owned three Dapol/Hornby pugs and all of then ran badly. They started out okay but after a few weeks it was constant stop/start running. They were very erratic and I could not get any of them to run slowly so I have given up on the pugs. It is a shame because I was quite happy with the look of them just as they were. I cannot explain what the problems were and I do know that many people are very happy with them but I could never get them to work.

Dapol Pugs.

I found that my early Dapol pug could run quite slowly on a gaugemaster controller.

However the pickups and wheels need to be kept clean, and it is worth carrying out a mod to the front axle/ keeper plate so that it can rock +/- about 1/2mm.

Gordon A

Bristol

Conversion of something else is probably your only option if you want an 0-4-0 MW in 4mm.

As Roger Chivers mentioned above, the F Class is an 0-4-0 and the subject of one of his kits.

The F Class was also the loco chosen for the MRJ scratchbuilding series, the fittings kit is still available from Branchlines and there is a set of 'scratch aid' etches available from Mike Sampson (small suppliers forum, MRJ 216).

Archived