RMWEB Member's Tour of Didcot

Castle

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just found out that I am double booked that weekend, and now can't make it

Next year I will make it!!!

Going to try and visit on Saturday as will be not too far away for the battle proms at Blenheim palace Saturday night

Us didcot likely to be really busy given the hot weather, main reason for the visit would be to get a ton of detail pics...

Hi Castle,

I have just remembered that you have 'tentatively' put me down for a place. Sorry to have left it so late to confirm, but I am not able to attend. I did however pop in a few weeks ago after visiting a friend in Oxford. It was a running day and there was plenty of shunting at the end of play so there was lots to see and I had a great time!

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

No problem mate - I will take you off zee list...

That's 10 free places - was it something I said or my inability to secure another Italian family?*

All the best,

Castle

*Last year's visitors will know what I am talking about...

All is still in place for me to attend on the 28th, really looking forward to it as Didcot is a great day out. If I'm perfectly honest, I'll happily climb over just about any stock you've got. Do you know what's going to be running, as I want to ride Firefly again?

I'd also be interested to see the carriage shed, as last year they were out of bounds.

Hi All,

Don't worry Coldgunner, we are all systems go still! Sadly Firefly is under extensive repair at the moment as there has been a bit of an issue with her Gab valve gear. It does mean we can cab her though. The locos that are rostered for the day are Pannier No. 3738 and the Railmotor which will doubtless have No. 92 in tow. Lots of fun to be had there! We can go anywhere we like (except the running lines of course!) so if you want to see something then let either myself or my assistants know and they will take you to see it.

81C - yep, you are still on the list and if you want to see anything else that day then you will need to do it in the morning a I have arranged for my associates to gather at the main entrance at 12:30hrs. If you want to ride either No. 3738 or No. 93 then do so before then and we will split the group between myself and my two mates and we will scuttle off and show you all the really good stuff! Remember everyone, if there is anything specific you would like to see then let your guide know and they will do their best to get you there!

Sorry you can't make it John - I know those car thingys can be a bit tricky and expensive although the money it cost to run a steam engine it a wee bit more daunting... Thank goodness for all our supporters! Catch you next time sir!

All the best,

Castle

Talking of Firefly's problems makes me think - wasn't there some talk a while back of "Iron Duke" going to Didcot? Last I heard there was a problem because the wagons used to get ID in and out for GWR150 had been scrapped and ID was just sat in a car park somewhere....

(Apologies for going off-topic)

Talking of Firefly's problems makes me think - wasn't there some talk a while back of "Iron Duke" going to Didcot? Last I heard there was a problem because the wagons used to get ID in and out for GWR150 had been scrapped and ID was just sat in a car park somewhere....

(Apologies for going off-topic)

Hi RJS1977,

Iron Duke IS at Didcot - its just currently stored off site (with all the juicy and 'recyclable' bits of non ferrous metal already in secure storage on site you will be glad to know!) rather than at 81E itself. The idea currently is that it will be stripped down to bring it into the centre due to the afore mentioned wagon issues. It has to be moved very soon so watch this space. It is residing with a certain ex Barry 52XX parts source as well.

Hi Basil,

You are down for a place good sir - I look forward to meeting you!

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

I spent yesterday with two of my fellow Didcot types, washing out the boiler of No. 93 in preparation for its annual boiler exam next week. Everything looked good so hopefully she will be fresh and ready to go for our tour!

Only a few days now...

All the best,

Castle

Guest 838rapid

Hi Castle.

Sorry to be a pain,I have already booked 2 places to come on your trip,have you got room for a small one??

My mate thats coming says he would like to bring his son along too.

Kind regards

Adie

I have arranged for my associates to gather at the main entrance at 12:30hrs. If you want to ride either No. 3738 or No. 93 then do so before then and we will split the group between myself and my two mates and we will scuttle off and show you all the really good stuff! Remember everyone, if there is anything specific you would like to see then let your guide know and they will do their best to get you there!

Hi All,

Ric - see above and in post 1 good sir! We will finish when we are done and not a minute later...

Adie - no problem!

All the best,

Castle

Archived