Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

I’ve made the decision to hand lay the track on Canton, I don’t know about anyone else but it’s taking an age to get anything from C&L I’m still waiting on a box a flexi, chairs and rail ordered 7 weeks ago. 
Using an old piece of flexi I’ve marked the correct sleeper spacing and used up my current stock of sleepers, A friend is picking up some exactoscale chairs for me this weekend and another order for sleepers has been placed with Intentio, the last two 400mm pits have been made up and fixed in place.

C580D0CD-1E08-41D5-A495-27FA55AACC50.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The population for Canton has expanded with newly painted shed staff, I will get a few more Civvies for the footbridge a few more kids spotting plus one or two accompanying adults. 
Modelu figures painted by Claudia Everett

B2C0B66B-16C5-4A7B-9957-30845830A050.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I am fortunate to have loco crew painted by Claudia and they are superb and amazing value for money but that photographer with the green rucksack with tan leather trim is outstanding. She is super talented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footy said:

I am fortunate to have loco crew painted by Claudia and they are superb and amazing value for money but that photographer with the green rucksack with tan leather trim is outstanding. She is super talented.

That photographer is one of Alan’s latest figures, Claudia has done an amazing job, I’ve got a few more spotters coming for the bridge and I’ve asked Alan about doing some school boys in uniform as well.  

21 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Well, if you do requests, maybe an early steam chest castle? Three definitely isnt excessive.

Hopefully one day, I’d like Pendennis. I do have 4037 underway but she had newer cylinders added later on in life and there’s a delivery coming today but that’s going under the Christmas tree. 
5012, 5081 & 5029 are all strong candidates.  It maybe a few years until another batch of kits become available so I’ll look towards the other 4,6,0’s 

most definitely need a Grange, manor, Modified Hall and County. 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, steve fay said:

Hopefully one day, I’d like Pendennis. I do have 4037 underway but she had newer cylinders added later on in life and there’s a delivery coming today but that’s going under the Christmas tree. 
5012, 5081 & 5029 are all strong candidates.  It maybe a few years until another batch of kits become available so I’ll look towards the other 4,6,0’s 

most definitely need a Grange, manor, Modified Hall and County. 

I went to Didcot yesterday although I didnt see Pendennis which I presume is in the workshop and I was distracted measuring coaches! I read that 5572 was at Cathays as one of the autofitted ones. Would those locos ever have appeared at Canton in passing?

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

I had every intention of putting Canton away today but a delivery arrived from C&L so no rest for my sore fingers and we pushed on and completed the track work. A monumental moment. Track feeds next before the fun part Filth and crap! But that’s for another day 
Me back is in Arf

10247906-E649-4B7E-ADAB-CCC43A672021.jpeg

330A54B8-AA9C-4642-B28A-4C9AE3F10C12.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 14/10/2021 at 08:27, Hal Nail said:

I went to Didcot yesterday although I didnt see Pendennis which I presume is in the workshop and I was distracted measuring coaches! I read that 5572 was at Cathays as one of the autofitted ones. Would those locos ever have appeared at Canton in passing?

Possibly, if Lionheart do the 4575 version I may be tempted. They are doing the STD 3 tank and these where also based at Cathays and Barry. 
a lot of locos passed through Canton after a heavy general at Caerphilly works so there’s not a lot of ex great western locos that wouldn’t have appeared at some time or other. 

• Like 2

Bashing more plastruct this evening sees the stair well tower made up,  The stairs will be laser cut by Intentio Model Railways as I want them very precise and they are the guys to do that.  I will drill 4 locating holes to secure the tower to the baseboard.  The wire was bent and added yesterday this will have a Modelu GWR lamp shade added once they are available.

996A7296-4B9B-4F19-AA67-6BBE370EF81E.jpeg

• Like 6

I’m thinking of adding some smoke effects on Canton, I’m not looking to drown it in smoke as it can be off putting especially at a show so what’s peoples experience and any recommendations.  Ideally something controllable that I can park a loco over a pit hit a button and get a wif of smoke from underneath.

Steve,

I’ve not done this…. But that said;

if it is an oil type, it is probable that your locos, and shed scene, will become somewhat glossy with condensate, and a pal who did it said it led to the audience coughing and spluttering - probably not favorite!

not sure if this will be the case with vape-type smoke which will be glycerine based - I think this is also the basis for Disco-smoke machines - iirc, there was an MRJ article about this sone years back.

Dry ice fog is only water, and won’t contribute much to global warming :)

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Simond said:

Steve,

I’ve not done this…. But that said;

if it is an oil type, it is probable that your locos, and shed scene, will become somewhat glossy with condensate, and a pal who did it said it led to the audience coughing and spluttering - probably not favorite!

not sure if this will be the case with vape-type smoke which will be glycerine based - I think this is also the basis for Disco-smoke machines - iirc, there was an MRJ article about this sone years back.

Dry ice fog is only water, and won’t contribute much to global warming :)

I certainly don’t want to smoke out the viewing public,

I am thinking more along the lines of the water based systems that are available now.  
I want to create a little atmosphere instead of plumes of smoke.  

With the kids away for a few days I thought I’d get some sand down on Canton,  it takes up most of my dining area but at least with a portable radiator underneath I can get it dried out before it’s stored away ( in a cupboard on end ) on Saturday.

1C769A53-B1DA-452F-834B-AE311CBC5F4C.jpeg

• Like 4