Converting to EM and Handbuilt Track

One thing that is bothering me is that I am using two single slips and one double, do I have to have a point motor connected to each set of switch tips e.g. two for a single slip and four for a double, or is one end of the slip switched with one and the other end another?

Yes you do need a point motor connected to each set of switches, so two for a single slip, however its also two for a double slip as a 'set of switches' in this case is all of the 4 switches at one end. Further if you can link your turnouts together the switches at each end of a crossover should work together from one lever and can thus use just one motor. This is more easily achieved with proper motors such as tortoise or servos than with solenoids such as Peco or Seep.

Working crossovers from one motor your plan has 7 crossovers plus 3 other turnouts so would need 10 motors.

So far as dimensions go, slips are best built at 1:7 crossing angle as 1:6 tends to be a rather small radius while 1:8 are getting a bit long and harder to build good obtuse (K) crossings. So then that makes most of your turnouts 1:7 as well, you can use A or B switches with these, the A switch is a more sudden divergence and best kept for slow speed areas. If the turnouts near the platform are really Y type then the switch angle is effectively halved and you can happily use A switches with 1:5 or 1:6 crossings.

Regards

Keith

Thanks for that Keith, really cleared things up. I just need to have a play and see what fits the available space. As for the motors; I am using fulgurex motors and plan on wiring the motors for a crossover so that they switch sequentially, this is achieved by using a pair of diodes. All I need to do now is get some templates and mark it all out, and hopefully I can soon start making some turnouts.

Michael

I am with Grovenor, much better to use 1:7 crossing angle.  My old layout, which lasted 25 years, was fitted with 1:7 and sported single and double slips and three way turnouts.  It looked good and worked well.  My present layout, started in 1990, uses 1:6 angles which work OK but Iwish I had stuck aith 1:7.

Derek

Thanks for that, it may be a couple of weeks before I can get everything marked out but before any of that can begin I need to get hold of some templates. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place to get them is? I have had a a look on finescale.org and see that they have quite a few available, would these be suitable for use as building templates as well? 

Michael 

Thanks for that, it may be a couple of weeks before I can get everything marked out but before any of that can begin I need to get hold of some templates. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where the best place to get them is? I have had a a look on finescale.org and see that they have quite a few available, would these be suitable for use as building templates as well? 

Michael

Michael

Templot is a free software package, you can print off as many B7's as you like. Its not that difficult to use and with a little effort you can use Templot to make a full size plan.

I am using fulgurex motors

Presumably you already have them! As you need to make a linkage from the fulgurex to the point you can easily connect two such linkages to the fulgurex to operate a crossover.

just need to work out how to make the slips!

If you are talking Templot here, that is, unfortunately one of the more complex tasks, the simple way is to print out diamond crossings then add the missing bits in pencil. The alternative is to go to the Temnplot website and follow the tutorial on the subject.

Regards

Keith

Presumably you already have them! As you need to make a linkage from the fulgurex to the point you can easily connect two such linkages to the fulgurex to operate a crossover.

If you are talking Templot here, that is, unfortunately one of the more complex tasks, the simple way is to print out diamond crossings then add the missing bits in pencil. The alternative is to go to the Temnplot website and follow the tutorial on the subject.

Regards

Keith

To a certain extent its very easy in Templot to change the sleeper lengths to either single or double slip size. Also its quite easy to put in either one or 2 curved roads.

The hard bit for me which I have not mastered is moving the obtuse (K) crossing check rails and then overlaying the switch rails. Both of these tasks I still use a pencil

Is there an extra set of check rails to add in as well?

No, the K crossing checkrails come with the diamond crossing, but when you add in the curved roads the rail inside the diamond will conflict with the ends of the K crossing checkrails and you need to shorten them to fit. Similarly, the checkrails for the Vees may need to be shortened by one timber to keep them clear of the switch tips.

This download will show you what is needed, http://www.exactoscale.co.uk/instructions/1-7%20Diamond%20&%20Slips.pdf

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

In the new version 2.d I think it is now. It's real check rails and you have the choice of either inputing the length you want or adjusting them with a mouse, this also works for wing rails.

Cheers SS

Ps difficult to do this coming down Somerton Bank on a phone.

In the new version 2.d I think it is now. It's real check rails and you have the choice of either inputing the length you want or adjusting them with a mouse, this also works for wing rails.

Cheers SS

Ps difficult to do this coming down Somerton Bank on a phone.

Hi, version  2.06d to be precise, K crossings - snap, as I said above. The easy way to alter check rails for the Vee come under real>> v crossing options>customise vee options>>half diamond check rails >> double slips

I have just managed to catch up on the thread since my last posting and the replies have been very helpful. I am just about finished at work so when I get home I will have to have a play on templot. I'm not too sure I will manage to get my head around the slips, but I am a member of the EMGS so I have some templates at hand. I may just copy the slips on the printer and print copies of them, if that is good enough?

Michael

Michael

If you want to include the slips in a plan using Templot, just use a diamond crossing as it should be the same size. You could even press a couple of buttons and get the timbers the correct size, then use the plan you have (checking its the same size as the diamond crossing first) to build it

I have just managed to catch up on the thread since my last posting and the replies have been very helpful. I am just about finished at work so when I get home I will have to have a play on templot. I'm not too sure I will manage to get my head around the slips, but I am a member of the EMGS so I have some templates at hand. I may just copy the slips on the printer and print copies of them, if that is good enough?

Michael

Michael

Congrats on joining emgs.  Get expoEM into your diary 18-19 May and get along to Bracknell.  When you arrive ask for me.  I;m the expoEM manager, we'll have a chat and I'll ensure I introduce you to all the expertise and advice at the show you need to ensure a successful layout.  More detials will be in the next EMGS mailing and of course info is on www.emgs.org

I only had a quick look at the thread but I see you using templot.  Never used it myself but know someone who will be at the show who has.  Its not very intuitive so if you get stuck we can get you sorted.  Or if you can't wait that long ping me a message to expoem@emgs.org and we can help you off line.  EMGS is a very friendly society as I hope you will find out....

Im just onto my 3rd em layout - its a really satisfying gauge/scale and for me is real modelling rather than simply buying r-t-r track and stuff and simpy modelling some scenery in which to watch stuff move.

Graeme Vickery

ExpoEM Exhibition Manager.

• 3 months later...

It seems like a long time since the show at Bracknell. Unfortunately I never met Graeme as when I asked someone where he might be no one could find him. I did however, get the chance to speak to a couple of demonstrators who were extremely helpful and offered me their advice and suggestions on how best to start making my own trackwork. I also spoke to a few members who were most helpful and once again there was no shortage of suggestions and offers of assistance should I become stuck. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever come across a more friendly and helpful bunch of people, and I would like to thank the EMGS and Graeme for putting on such a good show.

Since the show I have been very busy and have not had any time to have a crack at making anything. I have also decided to completely change my layout. I did start drawing up the new plan full size to see how everything would fit but I have not touched it for over two months. I am going to resume the drawing of the plan next month and hopefully I can have a plan ready and signalling worked out, any necessary changes can then be made. Hopefully I can get the pointwork made over the colder months as well as some of the signals. There is the possibility of cost restricting me as I have a car to save for and the high insurance that comes with being a young driver, but hopefully I can at least make a start soon.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

I have managed to make a start on the full size plan in its new arrangement. Just as a quick overview; the new design is based on Birkenhead Woodside with 6 platforms of which 5 and 6 have access to the turntable. That part of the station is based on Lime Street in its layout.

Platforms 5 and 6 are crucial to the planning and the curvature of the platforms will effect the station throat. Since this part of the station is a bit different as it uses two outside single slips, I had to wait until c&l were back open to order a template for it.

Using the template which has crossing angles of 1in4.5 and 1in6.5 things seem to fit on a nice curve and there don't seem to be any problems so far. The slip is described as a 1in8 by c&l and Martin Wynne believes this to be rather large for an outside slip. Would be nice to know if anyone else agrees with him on that.

I have taken some photos of the template and a rough positioning of how it might sit on the layout. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I will try and put a picture of the new plan up but I don't have it to hand at the moment. It does feature in the photos so you might be able to get a rough idea of what I am trying to do.

post-15291-0-63126000-1377033825_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-51514400-1377033868_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-70119900-1377033941_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-09581400-1377034009_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-33259600-1377034084_thumb.jpg

post-15291-0-02103000-1377034153_thumb.jpg

I am no authority in sizes, I have seen several photos of outside slips and they all vary in size as they are built to suite the track formations. If you have room they are lovely looking and to my mind easier to build. Will really benefit from using the Exactoscale additional special chairs (Extra slide chairs, common crossing chairs, obtuse and slip chairs). There will be no Exactoscale plan for the outside slip but it is quite easy to cross refference with the Exactoscale special chair download sheets.

I notice that when Len Newman drew the C&L plans he included bridge chairs in them, these are not available in the C&L range but are in the Exactoscale range 

John, I quite recently tried to download the pdf files from the exactoscale website however, it seems that the site no longer exists and the files have disappeared. Unfortunately I don't have a saved copy so if anyone does I would be most greatful if they could share it on here?

Michael

Michael

At worst I have them, but they were on the C&L website. I also found very helpful the Exactoscale plans for the turnouts and crossings for their kits which were also available from the old Exactoscale site. There are a couple of errors on the data sheets and I did do a list of chairs for peter on each sprue when Len was ill so he could supply the correct sprue's for diamonds, single and double slips. The other interesting bit about these sprue's is that there are un-used chairs which are designed for crossings other than the 2 types available.

I am waiting for a reply from Peter about where the data sheets have gone to, but as they were free downloads cant see any problem sharing them with you

If you look at the plan L1 bridge chairs are shown (the smaller ones)

Just for information 

The switch chairs have parts for 1 left and 1 right hand set of either A, B or C switches (will be a few chairs left over) (you still need the normal slide chairs)

The Common crossing chairs have parts for 1 each of 1 in 5, 6, 7, 8 & 10

I use the 0.8mm check rail chairs cut in half for EM turnouts as the 0.2mm gap is less noticeable than not using them

Off the top of my head you will also need a pack of obtuse crossing chairs and a pack of slip chairs. No need for the additional switch chairs as the slip chairs have them. I think there will be spare chairs for the nose of the common crossings on the sprues

Archived