Annoyed I couldn't make it today due to other plans, really want to see this layout.

Looks like you may have to catch a ferry for its next outing. More on that when we get confirmation.

I used the DLSR to take video and better photos so more to post later.

• Like 1

I used the DLSR to take video and better photos so more to post later.

So where are these piccies then Ian? :scratchhead: ;)

So where are these piccies then Ian? :scratchhead: ;)

Not been at home much this week hence no photos or videos.

Just finished working my way through the layout history. A really nice layout. Looking forward to seeing it for the first time in the flesh.

Just finished working my way through the layout history. A really nice layout. Looking forward to seeing it for the first time in the flesh.

It's next outing is to the Isle of Wight on 5th and 6th November.

I have a new toy to play with on the layout.

Not sure if a USA tank ever ran on the Brighton mainline but my green one will be taking a boat trip to the Isle of Wight to run on Star Lane. Added some of the detailing bits yesterday.

• Like 1

It's next outing is to the Isle of Wight on 5th and 6th November.

More details, please. Could be a good excuse to fit in a trip to the Island to visit a friend (or vice versa if SWMBO is reading this).

Just a reminder that Star Lane will be out this weekend in the Isle of Wight.

http://wmrg.club/exhibition.htm

Do say hello if you're visiting.  Roundhouse and myself will be amongst those operating.

Thanks for the reminder. Hope to get there for the Sunday.

A few photos from yesterday at the Isle Of Wight show in Newport . the USA tank ran very well. It now has a crew but they were very fiddly to fit in to the cab

post-1557-0-38958100-1478417498_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-55989700-1478417509_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-79239800-1478417520_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

Cracking layout. The flyover bridge is an outstanding piece of work. The full length "trains in the landscape" look is pleasing too.

The flyover bridge is an outstanding piece of work. 

"Skew Bridge", it was locally called, Pete - and I bet you worked over it more than once!

I couldn't resist another 02 from the IOW railway stand. Currently being run in on a coal train. I know it didn't run on the Brighton mainline but it looks nice!

post-1557-0-13324400-1478430413_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

"Skew Bridge", it was locally called, Pete - and I bet you worked over it more than once!

Yes, thanks for the memory jog. And more times than I could possibly count, I reckon.

• Like 1

Obligatory bus on a bridge.

A Reigate bus had taken a wrong turning so there is a confrontation on the bridge with a local builder whilst the Brighton Belle passes a stray IOW 02.

Rule no1 applies.

post-1557-0-40063500-1478443605_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Obligatory bus on a bridge.

A Reigate bus had taken a wrong turning so there is a confrontation on the bridge with a local builder whilst the Brighton Belle passes a stray IOW 02.

Rule no1 applies.

Rule 1 all over the place as for the bus to be in that livery the Belle should be blue and white.

I don't recall any of Bell St's Atlanteans covering routes in that direction. But in the early 70s you will recall them borrowing some Southdown vehicles which ran on the Croydon routes. Much more interesting for your bridge.

• Like 1

Star Lane will be at the eurotrack show next weekend in Southampton.

Mike has been working on new EMUs and I have yet another Thumper, so a few new items to be seen running over the weekend.

• Like 1

We had a good weekend in Southampton with Mikes layout.

Thanks to Gordon D, Big P (Sunday) and B Bishop (Saturday) for giving us a hand.

Usual teething problems on Saturday morning with a few tracks that had gone out of line but most cured withing the first hour or so and a few tweeks Sunday morning before opening meant that my Bulleid light pacific worked well today.

We thought that we had one more show this year with the layout but that show looks like its been cancelled, so Mike is on the look out for more shows ot attend with the layout for next year.

A few photos taken over the weekend.

post-1557-0-87047800-1488139031_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-46284800-1488139080_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-68786300-1488139096_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-61475000-1488139102_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Ian,

This is superb, I've just come across Star Lane Hooley a couple of hours ago and wow this is really good, I like it a lot but I do have a question if you don't mind, have you had any difficulties with the gradients particularly with the steam locos. I've read through a couple of times now and I haven't seen what the gradient is.

Ian

Hi Ian

I cant recall what the gradients mike built it to but generally its fine with the steam locos that we run.

The one issue we do get is that the Peco plastic insulated pots do come adrift at baseboard joints causing the third rail to lift and catch stock especially steam locos. Mike is slowly replacing the end of baseboard pots with soldered wire whihc is reducing the number of such incidents when we set the layout up.

Edited by roundhouse

Star Lane is out this weekend at Trainwest show, Corsham, Wiltshsire.

Should be a fair amount of new stock to see.

I might even get a chance to give my H class on an empty stock move to Three Bridges to operate the East Grinstead branch. I know, they almost certainly ran to Tunbridge Wells West or Brighton rather than Norwood Junction but rule 1 applies.