Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

With imminent (probably/hhopefully) arrival, thoughts turn to suitable decoders and specifically sound fitting. I'm sure There'll be ample room to hide a sugarcube speaker in the cab, especially with a driver and fireman, but is there a suitable soundset?

Granted there is always the possibility of one arriving using LYD as the basis, this may have even been done already of course!

It'll be a while before my two get fitted, but the idea of a pair double heading and making a racket is very appealing!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

. . . . . thoughts turn to suitable decoders and specifically sound fitting. I'm sure There'll be ample room to hide a sugarcube speaker in the cab, especially with a driver and fireman, but is there a suitable soundset?

Granted there is always the possibility of one arriving using LYD as the basis, this may have even been done already of course!

See EDM Models for sound - recorded last year. See the bottom of this page

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/ZIMO/zimo.html

• RMweb Premium

I have now seen that Paul has posted a comprehensive reply to the same question on the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Online Forum which I have copied below for the benefit of those who are not yet registered on NGRM which is a closed forum for members only.

Sound Decoders for Heljan Manning Wardle L&B Loco's

I’ll copy this post here. It was originally posted to the L&B yahoo group

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sounds were indeed recorded on Lyd but on the FR not at Woody Bay. They were recorded over the September Little & Large gala as I was driving Lyd on the Saturday and would have been on the Sunday had I not failed it. Other engines were recorded over the same weekend for use in future.

Lyd was recorded with three microphones whilst on the run. One on a pole by the chimney (thought we'd put that too high as we approached Garnedd Tunnel but it was still there at the other end), one under the tank and over the motion and one in the cab. Lots of individual noises were recorded whilst on shed such as the injectors and ejector.

The sound project is being mastered by Paul Chetter who is an expert at sound projects for ZIMO decoders.

Availability will be as soon as we can possibly do it once we have a loco to play with and can fit it in with Paul's other commitments. The ever receding delivery date hasn't made it impracticable to set time aside in advance. Once we have some loco's to play with the sound will be customised to the model and all the motor settings pre-calibrated for it. I'd like to say that it would be plug and play it’s probably going to need some very fine work as, whilst they have made the loco DCC ready, I don't think they have made any provision for sound.

Until we get one we won't know how much work is required, which decoder or which speaker is best. For this reason at this stage I can't give cost for the decoder and/or installation.

I have updated the ZIMO page at http://www.ngtrains....O/zimo.html#L so interest can be placed in getting the sound options as soon as they are available

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAUL.jpg

Paul Martin

EDM Models

http://www.ngtrains.com

Having seen the Railway Modeller review, I'm hoping the vibrant colours are a quirk of the photography and printing. That 'Malachite green' with bright yellow lettering looks garish. It should be olive and cream and match the Peco coaches. The nameplate looks odd, too, with the lettering having too big a variation in size. The real T is 31/2in tall and the AW 23/4in - the overall plate is 13in by 53/4in. Still, there are worse things than having to repaint it. (CJL)

I attach  here  a  couple  of  images  taken  from  Chris Leigh's,  book  .Lynton   &  Barnstaple  Railway   one  of  the   front  cover  which  is  a  painting  by  George  Heiron  of  TAW  near  Churmhill,    the  other  a photographic image  of  Taw's nameplate

post-10539-0-66684900-1489501765.jpg

post-10539-0-81039600-1489501777.jpg

Here's my On16.5 Taw - a Roy Link kit built in the 1980s - and painted with SR olive green (Railmatch, I suspect). I notice that the nameplate also has a big variation between the height of the T and the AW. The tank-front lining was copied from photos. (CJL)

post-1062-0-47627800-1489506966_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

As of the 19th, will they be delivered on the 27th, one day over a week away?.........I do hope they have a big success, but have made enough to cover orders.....both with Pre orders and other orders to follow, as we can't all buy all the versions at once.

Stephen

As  I mentioned  previously  keep  a check  on  Heljan.dk  go to   the  009  section  in  Lokomotiver,  when  the  red   dot   becomes  a  green  one,  thats  when they  are  available  on  their  own sales  section,  no  doubt soon  after  in  the  UK  retailers,  unless  of  course  they  ship  to  the  UK  retailers so  that  availability  occurs at  the  same  time.

Although  it  has  been  known  with  previous  new  items  for  some  of  the  smaller  retailers  to  have   stock  available  before  the   big boys  get  theirs!

We  shall  see!

As I mentioned previously keep a check on Heljan.dk go to the 009 section in Lokomotiver, when the red dot becomes a green one, thats when they are available on their own sales section, no doubt soon after in the UK retailers, unless of course they ship to the UK retailers so that availability occurs at the same time.

Although it has been known with previous new items for some of the smaller retailers to have stock available before the big boys get theirs!

We shall see!

As I mentioned previously keep a check on Heljan.dk go to the 009 section in Lokomotiver, when the red dot becomes a green one, thats when they are available on their own sales section, no doubt soon after in the UK retailers, unless of course they ship to the UK retailers so that availability occurs at the same time.

Although it has been known with previous new items for some of the smaller retailers to have stock available before the big boys get theirs!

We shall see![/quote

True, but Heljan don't update their website frequently. The 1366 still has a red dot and was released before Xmas. Ditto the 1361.]

Does the exact day really matter?

They are in the UK but clearing customs is out if their hands. ;)

Heljan have their UK outline models delivered on import from China, to their Danish HQ, and then distribute to the UK outlets fron Denmark. Import for Customs will be in a European mainland country, possibly Germany or Holland I would suspect, unless the tie up with Peco for this model has altered the normal arrangements Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

Well clearing the port then, shippers middlemen etc all out of their control. Then it gets a nice random ride round the country if parcelfarce get involved ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Release meant to be on Monday 27th, will the emails confirming supply arrive!!

Stephen

Expected  on  or  AFTER  the  27th!

Although  arrival  on  Saturday next might  be  best  avoided?

Edited by Stevelewis

Well clearing the port then, shippers middlemen etc all out of their control. Then it gets a nice random ride round the country if parcelfarce get involved ;)

Yes I was agreeing with your post about the date not being important, as they have a more complicated distribution system, and outside of the big mail order retailers, smaller shops don't always have credit accounts with Heljan, so have to prepay in krona I believe. My local shop received the recent B tankers two weeks after the big mail order firms. So as you say, best to chill out and wait.

• RMweb Gold

Expected  on  or  AFTER  the  27th!

Although  arrival  on  Saturday next might  be  best  avoided?

So to be clear, that's a date between the 27th March and the end of the world, hopefully nearer the former than the latter. ;)

I'm bracing myself for yet another Hattons email!