Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 Loco from Heljan

Mike Bellamy

Having  spoken  today  to  the  retailer  who  will be  supplying  my  locos,  I can  advise  that  as  of  todays  post  he  has  received no  communication  from  Heljan,  normally  before Heljan stock is  delivered  they  send  advice  notes  alerting  the  retailer to its  pending  arrival

• RMweb Gold

Nothing today by Email announcement, so definitely after the 27th...............And this type of distribution is their decision, not ours,so we are entitled to comment.

Stephen

Surprise! Hattons have just said due in April by email ;)

Don't get too down it's only another 30 days :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Surprise! Hattons have just said due in April by email ;)

Don't get too down it's only another 30 days :)

No guarantees it'll be a Manning Wardle in 30 days time. More like another Hattons email of postponement!

Well I got the same sad email from Hatton's with an unspecified date in April indicated..

So it seems that although this announcement might probably good news for many a members liquidity..

It is not so good news for my and probably many other enthusiasts' modeling aspirations..

I was really hoping for a quiet time dreaming of an eternal summer in the days of yore

Whilst watching 'Exe' as it wardled its merry way around the 009 loop..

Ah! Guess we'll all just have to wait some more...

Whilst whatever is holding things up gets fixed..

We could even pass our time playing the game of guess why they've been delayed..

My money is on, "the container fell overboard and they are currently trying to fish it out.." scenario..

Rather than..

Well yes  it  is   rather  frustrating  isnt  it?  I  dont  suppose  we  will ever  get a definitive  answer,  I asked  Heljan  directly some  weeks  back ( Jan  Feb)  , when  it  was  finally  expected and  was  advised  Late  Feb  March  was  the anticipated  time  the  locos  would  arrive in Denmark,  where  they  would  be  tested  before  onward  shipment,  hopefully  this  process  is  just  taking  a  little  longer than anticipated, we  have  to  remember that  Heljan  have  other  products  arriving  also, apparently  the  0 Gauge  class 45 diesel  has  been  rejected  so maybe   this has  taken more  time  to  sort  out

• RMweb Gold

Unless anyone has any insider knowledge, I'm not convinced they've arrived in Denmark! Sometimes there's a post on their Facebook page of new locos under test before dispatch to retailers, but to date I've seen nothing more than a single Manning Wardle. I think they must still be on a slow boat from China!

Edited by Captainalbino

• RMweb Gold

will just  have  to  pass  the  time  doin' something  else!!!!!  Where's  my  Fishing  Rods :scratchhead:

more time for me to try and get some track down... dithering whether to go for a 4 by 1 terminus-type set-up, or try and cram in a continuous run into a 4 by 2...

either way, I need to get cracking!

cheers,

Keith

At present my new Woody Bay layout is an L&B free area, run by 2 Skarloey Locos on holiday in Devon........it needs testing, with the real thing before working on the landscaping.

Mind you if the slow boat does arrive this year, they will be joined by some WW1 locos from Bachmann......eventually, Just hope I  see them before my time is up.

Stephen.

more time for me to try and get some track down... dithering whether to go for a 4 by 1 terminus-type set-up, or try and cram in a continuous run into a 4 by 2...

either way, I need to get cracking!

cheers,

Keith

I personally  prefer  sort  sort  of  continuous  run on  Narrow   Gauge  layouts  where  possible,  so   that  We  can  go  into  'watching  the  trains  go  by' mode occasionally  when  the  possible  shunting  moves  have  been  carried  out  a  few  times  and all becomes  repetitive  ( although  I  agree a  continuous run is  also  repetitive)

Our  plans  for  the  00-9  layout  have  changed  several  times  in  the past few  years,  whilst  awaiting  the   Locos,  currently  the plan is  for  a  much  smaller one  than  the  original plans because  that   space  has  been  used  for  'something  else'  so  it  looks  like  it  will be   occupying a  baseboard  around 7'  x   2'8"  although  the  trackplan  has  not  been finalised,  I think  we  have  far  more   00-9 stock  , buildings, & track  than  will eventually be  required!

• Like 1

Continuous run or out and back is a difficult decision. My current 8'x4' continuous run is useful for running-in locos but has limitations operationally. But, let's face it, model railways are all compromise anyway.....

I think we all face this dilemma Out and back, you can create an interesting shunting puzzle However this will limit train size and (until the advent of DCC I believe) you cannot run trains continuously.

A lay out which allows both (though limited in puzzle terms) is ideal, this would be about 2ft 6 deep in 00-9 gauge.

My first exhibitions was with a continuos 00 layout 3m30 by 2m70 (you stood in the middle). This modeler unit could be packed flat to fit in the boot of a Scenic or Verso car. (Rolling stock and buildings took up 2 rear seats, leaving one seat for my son).

It was a good few hours to set up and put away, but I could fire 9 different trains all day long and have shunting going on in a port or locos being arranged in the depot etc. it certainly drew crowds.

Then my daughter came along, and I fancied something lighter and quicker to set up. DCC sound came along, so I did short plank about 6 ft long. The choise came down to either a plank with several sidings using small tank locos and a could of wagons, however I really needed to something to show of sound fitted locos being mostly mainline diesels and tender engines. So we settled on a design which could accept a 2 coach train (with small loco) to allow a push-pull set or 2-EPB to appear. That greatly reduced the number of possible sidings.

It worked ok, but clearly it did not drag crowds I was hoping for. And I was beaten in a competition by a not very executed continous layout with just one loco and a small train going round all day.

Now I,m designing a compact continuous layout...

With 00-9, you should be able to have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

I  have  just  asked  Heljan in Denmark for  any info on availability of the locos

They will be  making  an official  announcement   late  next  week  with shipment details, they also said  that Heljan are currently in China looking  thro' the production finish and this looks very good

Hope this info  is  of  value  to those  anxiously  waiting!

• RMweb Gold

If they are still in China and Heljan has yet to sign off on them then they might arrive at earliest say, by June?

If we are very lucky..

Why not wait for the announcement next week on the dates. Too much date griping already without adding three more months to their arsenal ;)

Being  quite  involved  my self in  the  retail  trade  I can appreciate why  Hattons have  increased  the  price  to  the  RRP,  if  there  is  demand  for  a  product  be  it  a  model  train  or  a  can  of  Beer  then  it  makes  sense  to make as  much  profit  as  possible,  being  profitable for  a  retailer is  a  hedge  against  times  when   things  may  not  be  so  good.

Given  that  one  of  the   three Manning  Wardles is  fully  subscribed  on  Hattons  site  indicates that there  is  demand for  the  models.

As I am not ordering  from  Hattons on  this  occasion  I am unsure  if all previous  pre orders  will be  increased  to  the  new  price  or  if  the £146 price  will be  honoured for those  who pre ordered  earlier

• RMweb Gold

I notice  that  the  pre  order  price  of  £146.00  has  now  increased  to  £189.95  on  Hattons  website.

Looking around at other retailers this rrp price seems to be the going rate, the discounted prices being offered have disappeared. Good for the retailers if they can shift the stock at that price but unfortunately for me it's a stretch too far :-(

Oh well, lots of new other goodies coming soon that have now become a little more affordable as a result of reallocating the £145 I had earmarked for the L&B loco!

Cheers,

Keith

I've not had any communication (yet) from Hattons to suggest that the price has changed for those with pre orders, which bodes well thus far for my pair!

One of the members over on NGRM has said that he's got to ring them tomorrow for something else, but will enquire at the same time, so I dare say the results of that will appear in due course.

Unless we've heard anything beefier then, I'll keep us posted in here!

Cheers

J