Possible new LT model from Bachmann

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang, take this with a pinch of salt but there could be strong credibility, I was in one of my local shops of that well known model shop chain last week, and as I was talking to one of the staff, they infered that one of their next commissions would a pair of Class 20's painted in LT livery and numbered L187 and L227.

Both will be DCC and one will have sound installed.  As I said, this guy seemed very certain about it and said hopefully that they should arrive for the Met's summer specials.  If it is true, I will be putting my name down on a pair.

Julian Sprott

Hi all

Well any RtR London Underground stock is welcome but how about a Q or standard 3 or 4 car set that is also RtR

Come on Bachman, Hornby, Heljan or Dapol bring it on !!

Not all of us are any good at kit building and some of the built kits of LU stuff I have seen look quite poor

RtR takes a lot of beating

• RMweb Premium

The 'Standard' tube stock should be doable. To begin with there is only 3 basic items of stock, Motor, trailer and control trailer. I can think of eight liveries. Original Underground, red/cream with maroon doors/ Later Underground without the maroon doors/ London Transport mid thirties/ wartime/ post war (gradual reduction in amount of cream and darker coloured roofs.)/ IOW blue/grey doors/ 'Inter-village' blue/grey/ NSE. Within those liveries there are further variations and also the engineering versions in either maroon or yellow.

But Standard Tube stock was a real "dog's breakfast", with different makers of the different batches between the early 1920s and mid 1930s.

There were differences in the designs of the roof vents and also in the styles of the doors. Some cars had centre pillars in the double doors whilst others didn't.

There are more physical differences than you might imagine.

I still find it very hard to believe that there is a large enough market to interest any RTR manufacturer. I know S Stock is on the way, but that will run on all 4 of the surface lines, so may just represent a large enough potential market.

I'm afraid that I'm not interested in Class 20s no matter what livery they may be in, too late for the period that I'm modelling.

If the S Stock is released, its success could depend on how it is sold - if sold in the Hornby manner of a 2-car pack with additional cars sold separately, we needn't fork out for the full 8-car train if we couldn't afford it, or didn't have space.

If you look at the 2BIL thread a lot of the discussion is about accuracy detail such as roof vents therefore if modellers that are that concerned to this level detail won't be somewhat less than happy by a short formed set of S Stock?

XF

L189 is expected - somewhere (I think Flickr) it was mentioned that the repaint was part sponsored by Bachmann who intended to produce a model of it. Rather surprised it is a MZ commission - I certainly won't be paying ful RRP+ for one, especially if they haven't included a working high intensity headlight. Would have thought it would be in the general range.

L227 is interesting - what livery? Used to be in MET maroon, now in RF Red Stripe. Acording to coments on the District Dave Forum its going into LT Corporate livery, so resumably this is what will be reprasented on the model.

What I WOULD pay for is 20227 in Met Maroon, as was during he 1990s!

If the S Stock is released, its success could depend on how it is sold - if sold in the Hornby manner of a 2-car pack with additional cars sold separately, we needn't fork out for the full 8-car train if we couldn't afford it, or didn't have space.

But the word on the street is that it is Bachmann doing the S Stock, and if the example of the Blue Pullman is anything to go by, it'll be all or nothing.

I would have thought that the Overground Class 378 would be a better bet for RTR than S Stock. at least it spends almost all of the time out in the open air, and could be used on a WCML, North London Line or south of the Thames inspired layout.

Guest maxthemapman

I don't think we should be surprised if there turns out to be a useful demand for LU stock, surely the network interests more than the Southern Electric, just look at how much more active LU fandom is than Southern, and look at the number of book titles available. Given the current (sorry) Southern Electric model bonanza (which, ten years ago, various experts reassured us wouldn't sell and were not viable) surely LT will be next. For Standard stock, although there were many types, this works in the favour of the manufacturers, because unlike SR formations, just about anything can be authentically coupled to anything else. 1923 CT, 1927 trailer, and 1934 DM would enable a reasonably authentic train. But I agree with others that the OPQR stock family would be a great start.

Really covered already with the Radley Models kit which is reasonably easy to build. XF

That wouldn't stop one of the mainstream manufacturers from producing one though. Just look what Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol and Graham Farish have done to each other over the years, let alone what they have done to Parkside, Ian Kirk and Cambrian.

cheers

Shane

A loco like the Met BoBos would sell well RTR as its attractive. For example I have no intention of modelling the underground, but would covet one, but would not be prepared to spend the time building a kit for a prototype outside of my layout plans, in the same way as the diesel prototypes, the Blue Pullman and pretty much all the NRM models

The flare-sided stock was used on all surface lines at various times so that's a plus for a manufacturer.

O, P and Q38 stock was standardised: underframe equipment differed but the bodies of both driving and trailer cars were all but identical; trailers had the driver's side doors sealed up and no cab windscreens but were intended for easy conversion, something that happened when conversions to R stock commenced.

R stock original builds (as opposed to converted O/P/Q stock) had different window and door spacings and different ventilator shapes but still within the same basic body structure and shape.

In other words, two (or possibly three) main body moulds would cover most of the O/P/Q38/R stock requirements.

Of course, there were many minor variations and modifications but nothing too difficult for current technology.

The Q stock does present another problem though, in that it consisted of many other body shapes and styles as well and all flare-sided trains of Q stock were not common, to say the least. To get the full effect a manufacturer would have to add some or all of the other types; Q23, Q27, Q31 and Q35.

Livery-wise there are a few variations available for the flare-sided stocks: LT train red for all types, bus red for CO/CP stock and aluminium/silver/white for later R stock and repaints from around the early 1960s (or possibly slightly earlier).

Just dreaming, I suppose!  :)

Really covered already with the Radley Models kit which is reasonably easy to build. XF

The thing is not all of us have the skill needed to make a good job of a kit. Its made worse when parts of the kit have to be run under a hot tap to flatten them out, spend hours cleaning up  parts with a lot of molding flash on them or have the items needed to do a real smart paint job, then fiding that the kit does not contain all the items need to finish it, transfers, wheels, even the motor. are sometimes exrtras to buy Time all that is got the price of the kit gets close to or even more than a RtR would be. I know some here love to build kits and thats great but others prefer the ease of RtR then they can go on to enjoy other parts of our hobby

If you cannot build a kit to your own satisfaction then buy one and find someone who is prepared to build and pait it for you. it will cost more, admittedly. The alternative is to build and pait it yourself. You will never get any better at it until you've built and paitned a few. none of us came into this world able to build and paint kits, we all had to learn.

The Radley Models kits are particularly easy as if you go for the resin kits the body shells are all one piece mouldings. Resin is a relatively pliable material, but is easy to reshape iusing hot water without too much difficulty.  If you want difficult then just try an etched kit where all the parts are flat and you have to shape them yourself to the correct contours, possibly having to add the rivets by hand.

I'm sorry if you haven't got the time or patience to clean up the parts.

As a matter of principle, with any kit, as soon as I get it I always check that all the parts and instructions are there. In the case of the Radley ones if a part is missing I call Phil and he always sends the missing parts by return.

While I like the Radley (ex-Harrow Models) kits they aren't entirely accurate as the vents stick out at too steep an angle from the sides. I have a five-car CO/CP set built from the white metal versions of the kits with a sixth car unbuilt (also white metal) so I think I can comment on these kits.

The DC Kits resin Q38 car in my Q stock train has better angled vents but is too 'gangly' - the whole upper part of the coach seems too narrow.

A nice accurate RTR version would be better, much as I enjoy kit-building, myself.   :)

Guest maxthemapman

The nice thing about OPQR for a manufacturer is that, like BR design suburban Southern EMUs, this set of trains can be built up authentically incrementally.

Manufacturer can start with one body (A end ever-so-slightly modified to get the D end) two underframes and one bogie (I think), and you have your authentic train, just couple them up. a new underframe/interior/bogies? gives the trailer car, and then you have a 3-car O/P train (different interiors for O and P if you are picky).

Then if they are selling well change the underframes to get CO/CP.

If these continue to sell, change the underframe on a DM car and tool up a couple of new bodies to to get an R stock train.

Then, if sales are going haywire, think about some new bodies to create a mixed Q-stock train. Here is an interesting question, what would be the least mixed Q-stock formation that would be vaguely authentic? Could the manufacturer start with one, and add more if sales warrant?

Archived