Print, cut and stick.......Shaun's stone hut

As an introduction to card modelling, my chum Shaun has kindly allowed me to post his little line side hut, simply print out the 'cut-out' file on A4 paper [with no scaling] and follow the beautifully produced instructions........Enjoy!

post-106-0-31947900-1362641776_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-55270300-1362641787_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Doug

I'm up for a try at it, if I may offer a little tip at this stage, as this building has no interior bracing you can find yourself pulling it out of square when wrapping the texture paper around it, or worse still breaking the wall to wall joints.

To avoid this, run a bead of PVA around the bottom edge of the four walls and stick it to a piece of good quality paper, like writing paper. When dry, cut around the outside carefully to leave the four walls strongly braced. It will also keep it rigid so as to allow you to sand all the corners smooth and square.

Should you later want access to the interior, simply cut around the inside edges to open it up again!

Simples...

Doug

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.......

Door hinges and bolt paper given some 3D by being pressed from behind before gluing to card, scrap from window card used to cover window sills.

post-106-0-47902100-1362692077_thumb.jpg

Some 'relief' could be introduced by pressing and indenting corners and some stones.

Doug

Mine will be posted later this evening, just got to stick me chimney pot on and it will be finished, I made a bit of a cock up as I didn't pay attention when gluing the walls together and stuck the window wall on the wrong side, so had to adjust the wrap to suit... Doh!

OK Here it is:

IMGP0064.JPG

Thanks Allan!  Just for info, the stonework is actually a photo of a stone wall taken at the old ruins below Llyn Clywedog in Mid Wales. I then Photoshopped it to give me a large area of stone.

ATB

Shaun.

Me too!

I like this hut. Simple to make (though I made the same mistake as Campaman). Just the Q-tip as chimney pot didn't work: doesn't like to accept any color. But a wooden tooth pick came to the rescue.

So here it is (yes, i know, the pot was wonky - now no more):

post-12822-0-09872600-1363860704.jpg

Will redo with fresh paper - and then revert.

Thanks a lot, Doug & Shaun!

Armin

• 1 month later...

That's great work, you can almost hear the building asking for a coat of creosote!

I think Shaun was a 'good egg' for doing such a brill 'how-to', even the biggest most technically perfect models pale when a nice model accompanied by a thorough 'how-to' appears. What 'cladding' did you use?

Doug

Thanks Doug. Yes indeed thanks to Shaun for providing the inspiration to build and adapt. It was done as a quicky so not as detailed as it could be e.g the bolt on the door could be an overlay.

I used textures from http://www.cgtextures.com/  old wood planks and corrugated iron for the roof. To give some relief I score the joins between planks and between corrugations. Although I am a big fan of Scalescenes texture papers I thought I would try something different this time.

post-7345-0-81894600-1369386170_thumb.jpg

Roger

Thanks, Roger.

I think I tend to stick [teehee...] with what I know, I've never tried to make sheets of texture from CG Textures although I have downloaded several doors and windows as 'stick-ons'.

Doug

Archived