Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Referring to Mike"s post 954 above,it does seem to us a shame that it appears to be prototypically lacking in authenticity.However...I don't think that's the point. The phrase....in commercial terms....'attractive package' springs to mind.I don't doubt for one moment that that will be the case when it finally does appear and will gain admiring glances. 'Neverwazza'?......it would be interesting to be inside the mindset of Barwell on this one.

One final observation.....this depicts a railway scenario a century ago when the world was in turmoil. How much trusted evidence ,photo graphic and documentary ,is currently available to us ?

• RMweb Premium

I guess there's a thread here already on it. I know this is a "RAILROAD" item, but did Silver Fox not carry a name plate, but chrome letters on the side when originally liveried for the Silver Jubilee?

I believe this is what it should look like:

http://www.loveless.co.uk/wayback/2011/lner_a4.html

Looks pretty close to me.

Keith

I have just had to go back to Page 1 to remind meself just how many good things Bachmann announced that are of personal interest and which I had completely forgotten about (old age!). Stanier 2-6-0, MR 1F 0-6-0T, Midland 20T goods brake with & without duckets, Grain wagon and 'A' containers for Conflats. Quite a few are now obtainable but I'd better check out the advertisers to see if I've missed or am about to miss anything.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi.

Could I ask a question here?

Regarding the Bachmann small Prairie No. 4545 in lined black livery :

is this livery accurate ?

Were any other small prairies outshopped in lined black ? 

Thanks.

Pete M.

Two 44XX were (4406 & 09) plus other 45XX/4575(?) series but the RCTS does not note individual numbers for them saying only 'a few'

Poking around the Bachmann site I noticed;

31-137 D11/2 4-4-0 6399 ‘Allan-Bane’ LNER Green 

has now become;

31-137 Class D11/2 6385 'Luckie Mucklebackit' LNER Black

A shame as I was quite looking forward to Allen-Bane.

Poking around the Bachmann site I noticed;

31-137 D11/2 4-4-0 6399 ‘Allan-Bane’ LNER Green 

has now become;

31-137 Class D11/2 6385 'Luckie Mucklebackit' LNER Black

A shame as I was quite looking forward to Allen-Bane.

That can only have happened in the past week or so, as I was poking around the site as well to see if there was a suggested delivery date. I'll still get it, just a pity it'll be in black and not resplendent in apple green.

• 1 month later...

I know im not the only one....but when the hell are they going to release a north eastern Q6??!!!

I dont want to build a kit one as it becomes expensive plus im busy building my layout.

A kit built one with an old Hornby dublo 8f chassis recently sold on ebay for £185!!

C'mon Bachmann get yer finger out

I know im not the only one....but when the hell are they going to release a north eastern Q6??!!!

I dont want to build a kit one as it becomes expensive plus im busy building my layout.

A kit built one with an old Hornby dublo 8f chassis recently sold on ebay for £185!!

C'mon Bachmann get yer finger out

I removed your earlier similar posting which came across as a little offensive and also contained false information whereas this one just comes across as selfish; if you want one that much you'll have to build one. It's also been said that because of the attitude of some protagonists that manufacturers may defer something rather than pandering to lone and loud voices so it may pay to pick your words and message a little more reasonably.

Hi.

Thanks.

Pete M.

4545 ended up being released in plain black, early emblem - I treated myself a few months ago! I've only seen Bachmann's stock photo with the lining, no photos of actual models. 

Midland coaches did venture onto the GWR with regular workings into the west with balanced workings of GWR stock heading off system. The GWR even owned ex Midland coaches on the M&SWJR after the grouping.The GWR owned ex LSWR sleeping cars.  GWR coaches ran daily to Brighton, Liverpool, and Manchester, York, Newcastle to name but a few destinations.

I agree with your sentiment regarding lack of pre-grouping coaches but my point remains that the 'always better than Hornby'  Bachmann are introducing a world war I set with an engine that never was used in Kaki and with coaches not built until the 1920's. At least the Hornby troop train has GWR coaches that existed in that period (I agree in the wrong livery) with an engine used for such duties.

I am first in the queue for the Railway Children set as it is all fictitious anyway. but the ambulance train.....how could they get it so wrong?

Mike Wiltshire

Mike,

this site may be of interest;

http://www.livingarchive.org.uk/content/local-history/areas/wolverton/the-ambulance-train

The LNWR Society also published a Portfolio - LNWR Great War LNWR Ambulance Trains - by Philip Millard. Now out of print it does appear on Ebay occasionally and is also available on Amazon.

As for per-group livery carriages, it may be down to difficulty in reproducing the livery at a price acceptable to the RTR modeller (i.e. not a lot). Or that carriages are bought in volumes that make them less profitable at that acceptable price than a production run of locos. Each separate carriage diagram needs research, development and tooling (although there will be common underframe and end details). I expect that more than a few people have collections with more locos than carriages or wagons.

Jol

I do not not know if lining is accurate for 4545 but at least one other small prairie (5527) definitely carried lining.

www.steampicturelibrary.com/en/no5527-prairie-tank-locomotive/print/451766.html

Further to post #974 I dug out the LNWR Society Portfolio on LNWR Great War  Ambulance Trains. I hadn't really studied it before but it makes fascinating reading.

There were three basic versions of ambulance train;

Continental Ambulance Trains - CATs

Home Ambulance Trains - HATs

Navy Ambulance Trains - NATs

The CATs were built by a number of pre-group railway companies including the LNWR, GER, CR, L&Y, LBSCR and the GWR for use in France and the Mediterranean theatre. The carriages were painted in Khaki with large Geneva Crosses on the side. Around sixty four CATs (which were assembled in set formations, possibly from two supplying railway companies e.g. LNWR and GER) were built/converted. One CAT was converted from NLR 4-wheel carriages for use in Salonika.

HATs (thirty eight?) and NATs (five) were used in the UK and appear to have been painted in the builders usual livery with the addition of the Geneva Cross on the sides and roofs. Nineteen further trains were built for the US Army after they entered the war. 

There were other interesting set trains built, including a Headquarters Staff train and, at the end of the war, a number of Chinese Labour Trains to take Chinese workers from Liverpool to the Channel ports. As this thread is about Bachmann products things seem to have gone full circle.

Jol

Archived