• RMweb Gold

James, I look at stuff everyday on this website and I never cease to be amazed at peoples modelling skills. Whether it's the O Gauge boys and their life like locos, the N Gauge Micro Midgets like myself, or the OO Gauge nutters like you lot.... 

...I struggle to get my head around the amount of detail that serious modellers (and I think I'm pretty serious) manage to add. Where you find the time to do things is beyond me!  :scratchhead:    

I can't wait until you bring the layout to Pompey so I can actually see it for real  :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

To all at Loftus Road,

Thanks again for the opportunity to run my Electrostar alongside your Electrostar and wide of variety of rolling stock at the Diesel and Electric Show at Telford last weekend.

It was a pleasure to meet and spend time with you all and see Loftus Road from a different perspective.

Hope to see you all again soon in the future and enjoy these pictures from the day.

Regards,

Matt.

post-18424-0-12999000-1456607923_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-87570900-1456607937_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-57568700-1456607945_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-38987200-1456607951_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-36559400-1456607958_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Matt!

Good to see you and thanks for lending a helping hand last week! Really good to see your Electrostar, looking nice in the clean SouthEastern colours, and three Electrostars on one layout must be a record now!

It was a great weekend overall - it was so busy I barely got a chance to take any pics, just a couple here -

post-6896-0-01630300-1456688968_thumb.jpg

post-6896-0-30122900-1456688989_thumb.jpg

There's a long way to go on the houses but they looked a little more 'settled in' with the addition of some Chelsea tractors!

post-6896-0-60704200-1456689269_thumb.jpg

There was a good selection of traders and I managed to come away with some bargain Dapol '73's for future rebuilding, adding to the London theme!

Finally, it was a novel (and heart-stopping) experience being able to pack the entire layout and stock onto pallets to be taken back downstairs to the van outside, different!

post-6896-0-10049500-1456689013_thumb.jpg

Overall, a top weekend, a great first show at Telford for Rail Express, and fingers crossed there will be a repeat next year!

Cheers,
James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 15

It does look very nice. Shame i wasnt able to get to Telford to see it. One question i do have is about the really useful boxes. What size do you have there as im looking for some to use as stock boxes but i cant decide on the size i need.

Thanks

Paul

I didn't get much chance to look at the layouts over the weekend at Telford, but I did enjoy having a few moments watching this one. Lots of comments have been made about the detail and street scenes, but my favourite bit was how the disused platform had been depicted and then the modern replacement built over the loop's formation; something unusual really well modelled.

It does look very nice. Shame i wasnt able to get to Telford to see it. One question i do have is about the really useful boxes. What size do you have there as im looking for some to use as stock boxes but i cant decide on the size i need.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Some of us use the 7 litre sized boxes for locomotives, with 22 litre (Wrapping paper) ones for pairs of megafrets and other container traffic. You can usually fit eight locos into a 7L box, with  up to eight pairs of container wagons as well as a variety of extra containers in a 22L box. I am also experimenting with one of the 22L boxes to see if my rakes of Dapol MRA wagons can be made to fit completely  rather than having to assemble each rake by hand at an exhibition.

We usually line the boxes with foamboard (other sources are available) attached with Bostick. I think I am right in saying that James might use other makes of box as well. If he reads this at some time, I am sure he will provide some more information for you.

Thanks Matt!

Good to see you and thanks for lending a helping hand last week! Really good to see your Electrostar, looking nice in the clean SouthEastern colours, and three Electrostars on one layout must be a record now!

It was a great weekend overall - it was so busy I barely got a chance to take any pics, just a couple here -

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There's a long way to go on the houses but they looked a little more 'settled in' with the addition of some Chelsea tractors!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There was a good selection of traders and I managed to come away with some bargain Dapol '73's for future rebuilding, adding to the London theme!

Finally, it was a novel (and heart-stopping) experience being able to pack the entire layout and stock onto pallets to be taken back downstairs to the van outside, different!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Overall, a top weekend, a great first show at Telford for Rail Express, and fingers crossed there will be a repeat next year!

Cheers,

James

Very nice but shouldn't all the car be Fiat 500's for that part of London?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi there,

Is there any more news on the Eurostar project

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

Gangmember Chris is working on the lights currently!

In the long term, it'd be great to accurately model the various prototype carriages with all the different window arrangements etc at some point. But it's not really 'my bag' so not sure if I've got the stamina to chop up dozens of carriages when I could be tackling wagons and dirty diesels haha!

Cheers,

James

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to say that we're exhibiting at the Victory MRC show in Portsmouth tomorrow, come down and see us!

Got to take my step daughter to Southampton tomorrow AM so may well pop along in between taxi duties.

• Like 2

Well I managed to get to the show, nice to see the layout again. Had a quick chat with James and discussed his long list of future projects!  One of the good thing about Loftus Road is seeing the lengthy trains, a lot of which had received the Makin magic.   
The show in general was quite quiet, I was tempted to buy a loco but the stall didn't take cards so that saved me.. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great to meet the Loftus Road Crew today, and cheers James, Chris and Pete for sharing your modelling skills with me.

I know you guys had a few problems with running issues but it didnt bother me because I was more interested in the scenery.

Laugh of the day was the bloke that said Chris had wound the HST up too much and it was way too fast.........I've got a video that proves otherwise :-)

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Premium

Really good to meet you guys yesterday, it was a good day out! Everything went well save for a minor challenge with a board misalignment early in the morning, and nice to get some decent long trains running!

I've got some pics to share, probably put them up this week. Now with Portsmouth down, a busy Summer awaits developing the buildings and scenery ready for our next outing at Warley in November.

Cheers

James

• Like 2

Thanks Matt!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers,

James

Taking a look at the row of your 'Chelsea Tractors' one cannot help wondering how the 'owners' would get some out of their parking spots, until it occurred to me that parking is pretty much a universal experience; over here in NY we park 'by ear'. You hear a crash/crunch/shattering of glass and you are almost there. One more try...

• Like 1