• RMweb Gold

Can I just say damn you Loftus Road, Damn you to heck - you have made me question the layout I am building.

Actually I have known for a little while my design was not coming up to the picture in my head but seen the your layout helped. The standard of the buildings across the layout is excellent and I found myself drifting back to the layout a couple of times. I don't think i'm going to start ripping things up yet but it helps picture maybe whatever comes next.

Can I just say damn you Loftus Road, Damn you to heck - you have made me question the layout I am building.

Actually I have known for a little while my design was not coming up to the picture in my head but seen the your layout helped. The standard of the buildings across the layout is excellent and I found myself drifting back to the layout a couple of times. I don't think i'm going to start ripping things up yet but it helps picture maybe whatever comes next.

Steve,

What you've got to remember is that to get Loftus to the stage it is at has taken us (and I mean all of us) about 10 or more years. What you don't see are the discarded bits of mdf, paper, plastic and metal that are strewn around our respective sheds. If you were to see what we reject and recycle, you would probably feel a lot better...

Don't discard anything - make sure that what you plan and want to do makes sense to you. After all, it is your layout and Rule No. 1 applies. Can you build on what is already there? If so, does it need tweaking rather than a wholesale 'rip it up and start again' approach?

Sam Seagull (aka Pete H) spent ages taking shots of Kenny O before a single piece of track was laid. That gave us a substantial set of photos to work from on the original layout. When it came to CrossRail, James spent hours on the web looking for suitable images of things we could model before finally deciding what would look best in the space we have. That meant also making a decision to scrap the original plan for that end, Kensington cemetery. We took that decision knowing that what we would finally show (CrossRail) would be better than the cemetery theme but we didn't need to throw out the rest of the layout accordingly.

Not sure if this has helped but if you have a sound idea of what you want to build, research as much as you can before you start, then stick with the plan...

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

What you've got to remember is that to get Loftus to the stage it is at has taken us (and I mean all of us) about 10 or more years. What you don't see are the discarded bits of mdf, paper, plastic and metal that are strewn around our respective sheds. If you were to see what we reject and recycle, you would probably feel a lot better...

Don't discard anything - make sure that what you plan and want to do makes sense to you. After all, it is your layout and Rule No. 1 applies. Can you build on what is already there? If so, does it need tweaking rather than a wholesale 'rip it up and start again' approach?

Sam Seagull (aka Pete H) spent ages taking shots of Kenny O before a single piece of track was laid. That gave us a substantial set of photos to work from on the original layout. When it came to CrossRail, James spent hours on the web looking for suitable images of things we could model before finally deciding what would look best in the space we have. That meant also making a decision to scrap the original plan for that end, Kensington cemetery. We took that decision knowing that what we would finally show (CrossRail) would be better than the cemetery theme but we didn't need to throw out the rest of the layout accordingly.

Not sure if this has helped but if you have a sound idea of what you want to build, research as much as you can before you start, then stick with the plan...

Chris

Definitely agree with you Chris, I took loads of photos of Castle Cary (even though I wasn't modelling a replica of it) and have used them for reference. For the stuff I've had to make up from my imagination, I've gone out and looked at other similar things that I could basically transplant in to what I'm trying to achieve. My biggest issue was not knowing how to build  the stuff to start with which is where James and the little bloke with the balding head (I can't remember his name) have helped me loads.

Mike

Definitely agree with you Chris, I took loads of photos of Castle Cary (even though I wasn't modelling a replica of it) and have used them for reference. For the stuff I've had to make up from my imagination, I've gone out and looked at other similar things that I could basically transplant in to what I'm trying to achieve. My biggest issue was not knowing how to build  the stuff to start with which is where James and the little bloke with the balding head (I can't remember his name) have helped me loads.

Mike

If it is to do with electrics and the wiring then that would be Pete (Sam Seagull). If it was to do with scenery then it would be Mark...

HTH

Chris

Nice to see you using the Bachmann S stock for the District line! Fantastic photo's again, I'm so sad I couldn't be at Warley to see it in action. One day, I'm sure I'll get to see the layout in the flesh.

Really impressive work. That reminds me, I must start work on my Electrostar.

Cheers,

Matt

Nice to see you using the Bachmann S stock for the District line! Fantastic photo's again, I'm so sad I couldn't be at Warley to see it in action. One day, I'm sure I'll get to see the layout in the flesh.

Really impressive work. That reminds me, I must start work on my Electrostar.

Cheers,

Matt

If it's any consolation Matt, neither could I go due to work commitments - and it was my S Stock that the rest of the Loftus Road crew were running...

Rumour has it that we are at DEMU in 2017 with further plans for Canterbury and Basingstoke in 2018 and (whisper it quietly) possibly Peterborough...

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 2

Hi QuoitsPlayer,

Each board is 4' x 2' and the five put together give an overall length of 20'.

The depth of the layout is 10' and the fiddleyard boards are 4' x 3' each which allows us to have 22 lanes.

Chris

Edited by Harry Lime

Really enjoyed seeing you guys at Warley! I think I spent more time at Loftus Road than any of the other layouts. I was particularly taken in by the construction site of crossrail. It's given me plenty of ideas for a scene on my own layout!

Cheers guys!

Joe

• Like 2

If it's any consolation Matt, neither could I go due to work commitments - and it was my S Stock that the rest of the Loftus Road crew were running...

Rumour has it that we are at DEMU and Basingstoke in 2017 with further plans for Canterbury and (whisper it quietly) possibly Peterborough...

Shame, and nice S stock by the way. I'm so tempted to by it from the LTM online shop, but then I remember my paper thin wallet  :scratchhead:

Hope to see the layout in the near future, and (under my breath) Peterborough is possibly on my radar if it happens ;)

Nice work on the layout, by far my favorite on the web and from what I've seen at exhibitions etc.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Do you run any 92's on loftus road?

Certainly do Ben! I've got a soft spot for these awesomely complex locos, though they're unpopular with my fellow gang members who seem to prefer the dirty diesels!!

I've got three grey Hornby '92's that I'd remotored with Heljan '47' mechanisms about a decade ago, they are soldiering on for now but hopefully to be replaced with DJM or Revolution trains examples (they better do some surely!) further down the line!

• Like 1

Certainly do Ben! I've got a soft spot for these awesomely complex locos, though they're unpopular with my fellow gang members who seem to prefer the dirty diesels!!

I've got three grey Hornby '92's that I'd remotored with Heljan '47' mechanisms about a decade ago, they are soldiering on for now but hopefully to be replaced with DJM or Revolution trains examples (they better do some surely!) further down the line!

Same, I share the soft spot, shame DBC have so many but they can only run on HS1 and the tunnel because of the electrics and all that. Ive been looking for a way to modify the drive mech and it seems a Heljan 47 is the way to go, thanks mate

EDIT:didnt finish sentence

Edited by bensanchez43310

• RMweb Premium

Same, I share the soft spot, shame DBC have so many but they can only run on HS1 and the tunnel because of the electrics and all that. Ive been looking for a way to modify the drive mech and it seems a Heljan 47 is the way to go, thanks mate

EDIT:didnt finish sentence

That's a shame to hear that the 92s are more restricted these days, I don't follow the current scene much! Still can't get my head round this 'DB Cargo'! Seems like only yesterday EWS were doing the first Class 92 trials up the WCML :O

• Like 1

James ,

I saw a photo of some vans in Willesden Brent sidings that were just up your alley - serious graffiti but I hate to say it quite arty.

I rpoabbaly can't post it due copyright but do a search if you get a chance

If its these i am already having a go myself ona a few of my own vga's!

http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/Graffiti/dorps-graffiti-train-london.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of them, I think, but there's an even better one with a jungle scene

That's interesting, when I did a Flickr search, the ones I found are all VBA/VDA vans - useful as that'll be my next project train after the loaded HAA set I'm currently bodging together!

• Like 1