• RMweb Gold

Following on from my scratchbuilt petrol station and period houses, I've knocked up some scratchbuilt shops!

29259695005_482708b1c2_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29181026531_a7ded9d55b_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29151466302_16e1b3621a_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This little parade is based on the real life Uxbridge Road that sits just North of Kensington Olympia, and I've tried to replicate this as closely as possible. Each shop is based on one on the real road itself, and scratchbuilt in card and styrene strip.

Here's how it went...

28971480200_b4cb31e166_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The starting point was the original sketch, then scaled and drawn onto mounting card.

29259715615_50929b1833_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Windows were cut out and experimental brickwork effect card added with the help of some ancient Scott Mills podcasts!

Later, the window detail was created with small cuts of styrene strip to build up the frames, I've not gone for translucent windows as this is a low-relief set of shops that will sit on the back scene opposite the BP petrol station. There will however be some indulgent shop interiors in the lower floors!

29181088661_2738db80c8_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The shops were test fitted on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road to see how it went, and cut-outs made for the giant glazing of the shop fronts on the ground floor...

29181082991_588ae01ac3_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I was feeling a bit fancy so have experimented with light up shop display signs - these were cut out behind where the graphics will sit, and a bulb or LED will sit behind to illuminate. More and more pieces of styrene strip were added too. Billie is recommended when tackling a Chicken Cottage.

29181078001_1b89ae88da_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I then had some annual leave the other week and turned the shop fronts into a 3D building - just modelling the frontage of the building but with a decent depth for the shop interiors. 

28638715963_db104d13b2_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The shop interiors themselves were knocked up from some simple cardboard, which was then laminated in my custom-made shop interiors. 

29181064901_532bb554b6_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Much like my previous petrol station, these are designed in Corel Draw and based on numerous prototype photographs to get them just right! The graphics and signage was probably the most time consuming part of the project - it had to be 100% correct or the effect would be ruined!!

The model was then assembled and further detailing added, including security alarms, CCTV, satellite dishes, drainpipes, cable runs and more. 

29181057381_aa4c855502_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29181048951_1b8a8c594d_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29181016071_665cac5fa5_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I like the variety of shops that a London prototype brings, makes for something a bit different to Skaledale!

28636726214_7b41c6f255_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And of course, where would we be without a cheeky Nandos!

29259637325_f075ffc18f_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The interior was all scratchbuilt from card and some Preiser food and drink added to the tables and painted up like a decent hot wing platter! Make mine a double chicken wrap with peri fries and spicy rice..! The Archbishop of Banterbury can just be seen eating at the back.  

28638651673_608c2d1ddf_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

We can also see the iconic Chicken Cottage - this version is one of the recently refurbished stores with new layout, clean and shiny awaiting a lively 3am brawl from the post-clubbing set!

29225424916_8c50b31b9e_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

My fruit and veg shop - the Kabul Gate Supermarket sits pretty with its Lycamobile sponsorship, this will later be detailed with big racks of fruit outside the shop and some PayPoint branding. We will unlock your Apple iPhone for cheap! 

28636691404_1bcf674ffa_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Finally something for the winners and losers - William Hill for the betters and Cash Converters for when it all goes pear shaped!

28636719574_8a5458d92e_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29225462696_49a1c1efe3_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

29259676725_e10f837e2f_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here's the shops temporarily set down in the street, they do need a fair bit of work to get them buried, but will soon look like they've always been there!

29180972121_a707732287_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Panning out further, this is the street scene opposite the BP petrol station - this will one day be a vibrant buzzing Uxbridge Road - give me a couple more months! ;)

28971375710_8753ac068b_b.jpgScratchbuilt shops for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Not long now until our Warley appearance this November, it's all cranking up in terms of the scenics and there's plenty more on the way!

I've only just seen this James.......you're such a nutcase!! 

I'll show you how to get the most realistic looking Peco track in the world if you'll teach me how to build stuff like this. Pure brilliance!! 

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Loftus Road has been a hive of activity lately while the Warley show looms ever closer. We've got gang members relaying the third rail, rewiring electrics and new carry cases being built for our boards, with plenty more to follow.

Things have been going well on the scenic front too - I've just finished this scratchbuilt pub, so we've got another new building going up on Loftus!

30734190481_f778295602_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The Jolly Butcher is my take on a modern-day urban pub, inspired by the now-closed 'Duke of Edinburgh' pub on the corner of Richmond Way, London W14, just to the North West of Kensington Olympia - a stone's throw from the period houses of Sinclair Gardens I'd built earlier this year. 

30187473013_be87435ab3_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There's quite a few cool pubs in the area, and I've brought together my favourite attributes from each in this model, and bringing in a sports theme, and England bunting as well!

What's in a name? We have quite a few cues to Loftus Road Worthing MRC gang members amongst our existing street names and branding, this pub is a nod to Mark Butcher, our scenic greenery guru who's recently been transforming the layout, like the model equivalent of Alan Titchmarsh! 

30187466113_c96c44a8be_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I started the model back in August, it's one of the more challenging projects I've worked on due to all the decorative fiddly bits on the prototype, it would be easy to leave out but there's no fun in that!

Here's how it started...

30190448254_e2cf0de908_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The bare shell of cardboard was knocked up in a flash, and covered in Dornaplas window frames for starters. It was then covered in brick paper from Scalescenes, which was then subject to some weathering to tone it down - using Humbrol 62 and 186.

30785701186_18073e16ed_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This was then placed into it's end location to see how it could look...

30521436160_921b6122b4_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Lots more bits needed to be added next - this is what took the time! 

30785677906_dc3bb919e1_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The fiddly lower window frames have had approx 22 separate pieces of styrene strip added for each window, I foolishly also did all of the detailing at the top of the building with individual plastic bits and the beading that runs across above the pub sign...seemed easy at the start but soon got mind numbing!!

On the right hand end of the building was a couple of houses, one of them a dentist surgery.

30190423714_244b67581a_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

With the fiddly glueing all complete, it was soon time to slap on the paint and then move to some of the detailing, including custom pub signage, menu boards and advertising.

30521417950_679316a92d_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I couldn't resist adding the England bunting onto the pub, presumably our layout is set in a Euros or World Cup year! Each of the bunting pieces were cut from a thin piece of white card, and the red cross painted on later. The magnificent Sophie Ellis-Bextor is recommended listening for when scratchbuilding bunting. 

30190405404_3cc6e393ec_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Pub signs and adverts were created in CorelDraw and added to the building. Satellite dishes were scratchbuilt from thin plasticard, cut in a hole punch, with a little bit of wire for the antennae bit. This was Mark's idea, us both having seen that Bachmann want to charge a crazy £11 for the same items ready to run!

30521406710_ebf6f9497a_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Security alarms were added from chopped styrene strip and painted wire-runs, and custom street signs created again in CorelDraw.

30521396550_4c5f3ee3c8_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

30521388140_b1a6d87633_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

30705329842_6e7bc300c1_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

One of the conditions of continuing to gain funding from our WMRC club treasurer for Loftus Road was that the pub had to feature a Guinness advert somewhere, this duly appears on the left below - 'Made of More'!

30190359284_d51f3aeae4_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The model was varnished to complete, and is currently in the process of being 'planted' into its final location on the left hand end of Loftus Road.

30187482853_8582fa55a5_b.jpgScratchbuilt pub by James Makin for Worthing MRC Loftus Road by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It's now 20 days until the Warley show and we're still hard at work - there will be at least two more exciting scenic additions due to be unveiled prior to the show, so watch this space!

• Like 13

Hi James

Just having a catch up on your thread and WOW!! The shops and pub are simply amazing. The attention to detail is superb especially when it comes to the shop interiors. Can almost smell the fried chicken from here. 1st class modelling indeed.

Great work.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm at Warley both days James so I'm looking forward to catching up......I can even bring along an HST that'll drown out the noise from the entire show!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

More great work on the buildings too mate, they look awesome   :good_mini:  :good_mini:  :good_mini:

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Premium

I'm at Warley both days James so I'm looking forward to catching up......I can even bring along an HST that'll drown out the noise from the entire show!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

More great work on the buildings too mate, they look awesome   :good_mini:  :good_mini:  :good_mini:

Lovely stuff, look forward to catching up! The noisy HST might be just the ticket, my 'Fag Packet' set is fitted with a pair of soundchips but you struggle to hear anything!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't wait to see this at Warley  :sungum:

Amazing skills

You won't be disappointed Adrian, it's really good and the guys that built it are very good modellers and nice people. I got some great modelling advice from them too which some people just don't seem to want to share!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Really enjoyed seeing this at Warley today, thank you. And of course we'll done with all the new editions. As an indication of quality it was the only thing that made my 5 year old nephew stand still for more than 30 seconds all day. I thought we were going to have to take the barrier with us to shift him!

Rich

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone any photos from Warley please?

I've got a full update coming on the brand new scenic section unveiled at Warley tomorrow - something big, menacing and super expensive has arrived at Loftus Road, nothing will stand in it's way...one word...Crossrail! :P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've got a full update coming on the brand new scenic section unveiled at Warley tomorrow - something big, menacing and super expensive has arrived at Loftus Road, nothing will stand in it's way...one word...Crossrail! :P

James,

When's it next on the road?

I was supposed to be there yesterday but plans had to change. I cannot believe I still haven't seen the layout after all this time. (Not to mention I think it must be getting close to 10 years since I last spoke to you at a show...)

• Like 1

Hello there - I found out about this site while visiting the Warley show today and signed up after reading this thread just to say an enormous WELL DONE to everyone involved with this amazingly accurate and detailed layout.  I spent longer looking at this layout than I think any other at the show and having seen the photos on here I see there is a whole host of incredible detail that I didn't even notice - the thought, observation and planning that has gone into every tiny detail of every aspect of this project is mind-boggling.  From the little touches like the realistic graffiti on some of the rolling stock and the "Sausagefest" snack wagon (fnarr fnarr), the stunning representations of London streets at the "north" end and the petrol station and incredible shop interiors which are an absolute work of art, this really is something special.  Well done to all the team involved.

(By the way, I was the one who joked about the petrol prices being unrealistic for London in 2016 - yep, that was me!)

(edit) Actually, can a witch put a spell on me and shrink me down to OO/HO scale?  I want to live on the layout in one of those townhouses :P

Edited by Dave Goddard
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good to see LR behaving itself this weekend and I'm afraid the big hole at the right hand end trumps James' shops (sorry James). I took a video with my phone stuck on top of the left hand road bridge of the XC HST and when I showed it to my wife just now, she said 'I thought you were going to a model train show not train spotting? That's when you know you've built yourself a fantastic layout.

Well done guys and great to see you again.

Mike

• Like 1

Great write up James and fantastic work team on the Crossrail works. It really does look amazing in the flesh. I wondered why you were all looking a bit lost, cleaning bits of track on Saturday afternoon. It was one of the only times the crowd wasn't several people deep!

So glad I've seen Loftus in the flesh. Can't wait to see it again at DEMU.

• RMweb Gold

I'm so glad you posted all those pictures because I missed so much at warley......I could quite happily sit and look at it for hours. Without disrespecting anyone else at the show, I said to quite a few people, Loftus Road is where I need to be bench marking my effort and if I get it half as good I'll be pleased as punch. It's the attention to detail that I really like and the way you've captured the 'real world' - ok, we all know modelling has it's limits but I like to try and see where those limits are....and that's exactly what your doing....pushing the boundaries.

And without having my tongue stuck up anyone's a...  I'm glad I bumped in to you guys because you've helped me improve my modelling skills by at least 500% whilst having a lot of fun, and that's what it's all about.

• Like 1