• RMweb Premium

Same, I share the soft spot, shame DBC have so many but they can only run on HS1 and the tunnel because of the electrics and all that. Ive been looking for a way to modify the drive mech and it seems a Heljan 47 is the way to go, thanks mate

EDIT:didnt finish sentence

And virtually the whole of the WCML...?

• RMweb Premium

Any new updates James..

cheers neil.

Hi Neil!

Nothing new on Loftus Road, it's all packed away at the club following Warley, but hopefully we'll get things unpacked and stuck into some work during January! In the meantime, I've been using my modelling time to work on some new wagons in my workbench thread - 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44066-james-makins-workbench/page-29

When we next get a chance to set the layout up at the club, we'll have to take a new set of photos, rather than just the grabbed photos from shows, that'll be a good New Years resolution for 2017!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since the last Loftus Road update, especially with Christmas in between!

Work hasn't stopped however, great stride have been made by the gang in terms of electrical updates and some great ideas on layout presentation which should transform how the layout will appear at shows going forward. 

In the meantime, I've been playing around and adding a few scenic cameos (yet to be finished!) but thought I'd share a few newer photos for a bit of fun!

32746892610_35a44911a8_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Adding a splash of colour to Loftus Road, our signature Silverlink livery graces the Bachmann 150/1 in this 4-car lash up above.

32746898880_6587778994_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Meanwhile above, work continues on the residential streets to the left of the layout, some street detailing in progress before all the vehicles are permanently glued in their final positions.

Finally, viewers of my Workbench 'sister thread' will know that I've been wasting much of last year messing around with HAA coal hoppers to create a classic MGR power station train for my future late-90s Didcot Parkway layout, I've now got to a stage where I have a near-trainload to run!

32746880010_bb05af6120_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Although not yet a complete rake, 28 loaded HAA hoppers fills a fair part of Loftus Road and makes for an imposing sight!

32746865580_118060fed7_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

We'll be sure to report on the next scenic cameo additions as they take shape in the lead up to our next show at 'Rotarail' in Fareham on April 22nd, 2017, hopefully see some of you there!

Cheers,

James

wow James what great work its all fantastic but the street scene is amazing the wife even  thought it was real she wants to go shopping there  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The street scene looks superb. How did you paint the road lines and make them look so neat.

Many thanks

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I painted the lines, roundabout, arrows, speed hump bits all by masking off with Tamiya tape and painting over with Humbrol White. To avoid seepage under the tape, I drybrushed white to start with to 'seal' the gap between tape and road surface, then when congealed, went over it with a full later of white paint, before the grand unveiling of tape to reveal hopefully not too many imperfections!

Always handy to have a bit of grey road paint and enamel thinners on standby in case it goes wrong but the 'seal' process above helps a lot! :)

• Like 3

James,

Again your work has blown me away  :O Really inspiring, and I'm extremely tempted to actually crack on with a layout of my own. 

Still planning to put those Electrostar cabs to use, but personal life and education, needless to say, has got in the way a bit  :umbrage: .

Great work again James, this layout just keeps going from strength to strength between updates ;)

Cheers,

Matt

It's been a while since the last Loftus Road update, especially with Christmas in between!

Work hasn't stopped however, great stride have been made by the gang in terms of electrical updates and some great ideas on layout presentation which should transform how the layout will appear at shows going forward. 

In the meantime, I've been playing around and adding a few scenic cameos (yet to be finished!) but thought I'd share a few newer photos for a bit of fun!

32746892610_35a44911a8_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Adding a splash of colour to Loftus Road, our signature Silverlink livery graces the Bachmann 150/1 in this 4-car lash up above.

32746898880_6587778994_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Meanwhile above, work continues on the residential streets to the left of the layout, some street detailing in progress before all the vehicles are permanently glued in their final positions.

Finally, viewers of my Workbench 'sister thread' will know that I've been wasting much of last year messing around with HAA coal hoppers to create a classic MGR power station train for my future late-90s Didcot Parkway layout, I've now got to a stage where I have a near-trainload to run!

32746880010_bb05af6120_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Although not yet a complete rake, 28 loaded HAA hoppers fills a fair part of Loftus Road and makes for an imposing sight!

32746865580_118060fed7_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

We'll be sure to report on the next scenic cameo additions as they take shape in the lead up to our next show at 'Rotarail' in Fareham on April 22nd, 2017, hopefully see some of you there!

Cheers,

James

As exhibition manager for Rotarail, i am looking forward to seeing Loftus Road at our show. It's been a favourite for some time. Hope you all will come, there are some other fine layouts on show.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had not noticed previously that the District Line bay is closed for engineering works. It seems a pity not to run an LUL train on the layout.

Haha yes! We normally run the S Stock on our Underground line but have recently had some engineering works...

Loftus Road gangmember Mike Denwood is laboriously relaying all of our third & fourth rail, and it's nearly complete now. If you look closely in the first image, you'll notice all of the rails piled up on the platform, I didn't notice this until after the pictures were taken so in the next selection of shots I had to hastily move the rails down onto the track!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Oh my goodness Loftus road and your modelling never cease to blow my mind!

Everything is so, so impressive!

How many of you work on Loftus Road please?

And how young were you when you started modelling James?

Love the Connex VEP! I've never seen one in models form before?!? I've been waiting to see one for years, since I was down South and traveled on a Connex VEP

Rob (-:

• RMweb Premium

Oh my goodness Loftus road and your modelling never cease to blow my mind!

Everything is so, so impressive!

How many of you work on Loftus Road please?

And how young were you when you started modelling James?

Love the Connex VEP! I've never seen one in models form before?!? I've been waiting to see one for years, since I was down South and traveled on a Connex VEP

Rob (-:

Thanks very much Rob!

There's quite a gang of us at the Worthing MRC who've worked on Loftus Road, probably a good 10-12 people over the years who've made all this possible (you know who you are!) - our current crew working on the layout each week is about 6 of us, work commitments depending etc!

The best thing is we've all got different skills, my strengths are probably the silly fancy scenery & rolling stock bits that unfairly hog most of the glory on this thread while the guys doing the real hard slog on the woodwork, electrics, track, signalling and the logistics side of transporting, storing & stacking an exhibition layout need some recognition! We're always keen to welcome on board new members at Worthing MRC if anyone fancies having a go!

I started modelling Airfix aeroplane kits at the age of 8, then did railway modelling from aged 12, so modelling for about 18 years now, time flies!! The Connex VEP is one of my favs, boshed out with some homemade transfers and lot of weathering!

Cheers,

James

Thank you for your answers.

It's nice that you are modest James! Your team doesn't seem to have any weak links. You must all be very satisfied and proud of your achievements. I think the underneath of a layout can be very impressive to see. I've always said the layout my dad built me looks even more impressive underneath. Such a vast neat web of intricate wires. Nobody photos that though. I'd love to have a peep under Loftus Road lol

I'd find the modelling side less daunting than the woodwork/electrics etc. But your modelling is wonderful. Thanks for putting up interesting pictures of construction phases! And the relevant music for the modelling periods too lol

So the VEP is actually a made from a totally different livery donor then?

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to have a peep under Loftus Road lol

Ooh err! I think we may have some wiring pictures somewhere in this thread if my memory serves me right, 16 pages to search through though!

So the VEP is actually a made from a totally different livery donor then?

The VEP is from Hornby and before being repainted it started out life in classic NSE blue, white & red, one of the original batch like this one on Hattons -

http://www.hattons.co.uk/32161/Hornby_R2947_Class_423_VEP_4_car_EMU_in_NSE_livery/StockDetail.aspx 

Cheers,

James

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work's been continuing since the last update, here's where we are...

33056053074_90f40bf4a7_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I couldn't resist adding another signature 'London' item..! The infamous Barclays 'Boris Bikes' were introduced to the Capital in 2010, with more and more racks popping up around the City, so it was only right that eventually they'd appear on Loftus Road!

33858523596_332f930892_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I bashed these bikes from the Wills plastic bikes, I've made a few choice cuts to the frames and added my own Barclays branding - it's near enough for my eyes!

The bike racks themselves were made from layers of plasticard, glued and then filed into a curvy shape, and finished in Railfreight Distribution European Blue! The payment machine is a square block of plasticard, coated in hand-made graphics, with Loftus Road TfL branding!

33770139491_4065d5e6e1_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I'm that sad that I even printed off unique bike numbers and slapped them on the sides...oh dear!!

33056049724_7d3a19a61f_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Meanwhile, Worthing MRC gang member Mike Denwood has been hard at work finishing our third and fourth rail - it's all done!

33899383455_a88693f269_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here we can see Mike's handiwork, flanked by some superb embankment scenery created by Mark Butcher.

33899375105_48f3d58583_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Chris Sweeney's S Stock glides into Loftus Road on the newly-finished fourth rail...

33056059304_0d8c46f11c_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Mark has also been hard at work creating photo backscenes for the layout - spot the subtle house in the background here...

33899355015_5d36040209_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Some added 2D greenery! 

33899358165_efbb5a8d30_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I'm fascinated by adding unusual details I've not seen modelled before - here's one of the 'Ghost Bike' accident-awareness memorials you used to see around London, recalling a fallen cyclist. I'm still adding to this scene, and watch out for the Congestion Charge ahead! 

33770096391_9aab8b6880_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

At the front sits our Europcar van hire depot, inspired by the old Motorail area in front of Kensington Olympia - one of my upcoming scenes involve a grounded former shipping container being used to store certain cleaning items. Mark Butcher presented one of his bright blue Dapol CGM 20' containers for me to do a cheeky fun weathering project!

33899410795_bf7685ae0f_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

33514594230_e2a79e392a_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Lastly, I've been busy on the computer knocking out custom London street signs, we've got a zillion 'Urban Clearway' and 'Low Emission' zone signs popping up (Low emissions - certainly something to aim for on a post-curry-night Sunday morning at a show!),

33858509756_baa89188b4_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

33086411553_d2a0692189_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

33743012832_323cc5c2fe_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There's still a long way to go, but we're cracking on - our next show is in a couple of weeks, Rotarail at Fareham on April 22nd - please do come along and say hello!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Has the layout been completely bought forward to post 2010 now rather than the old c2006/7?

Are the silverlink colours on the boards days numbered?

Our gorgeous Silverlink colours are proudly staying Rich! We're even going bigger on that in terms of layout presentation ready for DEMU Showcase ;)

As it's a club layout it's always been the intention for the layout timescales to be fairly generic just "Modern London" to cater for our wide variety of stock and interests but with a few irresistible nods to signature 2000s London elements!

• Like 1