SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

The Maunsell green composite is indeed shown as being in stock at Hattons (or it certainly was yesterday afternoon).  This morning I had an email from Hattons saying that my order of the composite plus the two brakes had been packed.  The Royal Mail tracking site hadn't yet got the parcel number on, which leads me to suppose that Royal Mail hasn't collected it yet from Hattons.

You might have a bit of difficulty getting a complete SECR liveried set from Hattons, but you may still be lucky at somewhere like Kernow, who might not be that different in price.  I couldn't navigate the Rails of Sheffield site, so no idea of availability there.  The SECR liveried set looks fantastic to my eyes, but is too early for my main layout and too late for smaller my 1900ish-mucking-up-kits-to-be-pulled-by-Hornby-Terriers layout.

Edited by Richard Lee

The Maunsell green composite is indeed shown as being in stock at Hattons (or it certainly was yesterday afternoon).  This morning I had an email from Hattons saying that my order of the composite plus the two brakes had been packed.  The Royal Mail tracking site hadn't yet got the parcel number on, which leads me to suppose that Royal Mail hasn't collected it yet from Hattons.

The Cheshire snailmail doesn't seem to be the speediest in the world - see post 1077 ................. maybe the problem's that my coach hasn't got an 'H' or a 'P' to pull it - or even a 'B4' .............. gravity will probably get it down here once the weekend's over tho'.

Guest spet0114

Club running night and finally a chance to get the birdcages out.

BC1.jpg

BC2.jpg

BC3.jpg

BC4.jpg

A brief video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbwjMWvogM&feature=youtu.be

and finally, a look at what might have been if the GCR had ever reached the continent and GCR locos were seen in Kent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3yuLnw35c&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

Cheers
Adrian

• Like 11

Having just received the Birdcage compo in SR olive green to complete the set, I was wondering if anyone out there has some info on how to take the bodies of these coaches so I can put seated people inside. These are the first Bachmann coaches I have bought so do not have any experience on how to take them apart. My layout setting is SR 1930s, so most of my RTR coaching stock is Hornby Maunsells in there various guises, but I suspect the Bachmanns probably come apart rather differently, any help would be much appreciated, perhaps photos if possible.  Cheers. Paul.

With the debate around whether the C class or H class would be suitable for these coaches in SECR livery, I retrieved my N class in SECR grey from the display cabinet and sent it for a run with these coaches. The grey livery is a bit bland compared to the lovely coaches, but am I right in thinking that grey is the only SECR livery the N class ever managed to carry before Southern ownership upon grouping? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With the debate around whether the C class or H class would be suitable for these coaches in SECR livery, I retrieved my N class in SECR grey from the display cabinet and sent it for a run with these coaches. The grey livery is a bit bland compared to the lovely coaches, but am I right in thinking that grey is the only SECR livery the N class ever managed to carry before Southern ownership upon grouping? 

Correct - the little matter of WW1 getting in the way, and the decision of the SECR not to introduce a 'post war' livery in favour of carrying on with the drab grey wartime scheme.

attachicon.gif20180202_115612.jpg

It's nice for the Eastern locos to finally have something suitable to pull other than Maunsells :P just waiting on the H now.

Edit: excuse all the mess, layout is getting a scenery revamp very soon.

Nice to see the shades of the Hornby and Bachmann Maunsell Olive Green coaches match so well.

But what is going on with the Olive Green E4s, they are a completely different colour...