Newton abbot engine shed

B15nac

Hi

Has anyone got any good pictures of the shed an depot at Newton abbot in the 50's/60's? I find it very hard to find any information out on this depot with pictures hard to come by!

Kind regards Neil

Yea I've looked on there many times but always thought pictures of the shed an that were few an far between would be nice to find some really good pictures of it like there is of Laira in the Laira firemans book! Think someone should do a proper book of Newton abbot shed as there was always so much going on there!

Thanks for your reply

Regards Neil

I think you will find that is the carraige shed at the Plymouth end of the station.

The building in the background is the one eventually occupied by David and Charles the publishers who put some coaches on the elevated line as staff club premises.

Wally

Thanks for all the replys an help! Yes I've seen the picture in GW engine sheds I bought the book for it really an when it arrived I was slightly disappointed as again the pictures were distant! There must be good pictures out there in a book but its knowing where to find them! The shed itself is rare to see close up in pictures plus the coaling stage an track set up there! as I believe the shed was higher than the station so the coaling stage does not have much of a ramp going to it as its on shed level! So the tracks going to the shed must of be at a gradient! An I would love to see a few more close up shots of this!

Thanks for your help

Regards Neil

Have seen the distant view of the shed and the coaling stage from the station platform (Plates 176&177) in GWR Sheds in Camera by Roger Griffiths and published by OPC ISBN 0-86093-385-7 ?

It clearly shows the incline.

Also found a better view although still distant in BR Steam Motive Power Depots WR on page 31 plus a layout diagram on the following page! This slim volume was by Paul Bolger and ISBN 0-7110-1311-X published by Ian Allan.

thanks for all your advice an help i will look those pictures up an keep looking! I went in to newton today to see the remains of the engine shed there an its a bit of a sad place to be now as its changed so much! does anyone no of anyone whos modelled newton abbot shed?

regards neil

• 4 weeks later...

Neil,

Have a look at British Railways illustrated Vol3 No7 April 1994. It has a section on Newton Abbot which includes pictures of the Engine shed from about 1930 to 1960's. There is also a complete track layout from 1950. There is currently a copy available from Ebay.

thanks for all your advice an help i will look those pictures up an keep looking! I went in to newton today to see the remains of the engine shed there an its a bit of a sad place to be now as its changed so much! does anyone no of anyone whos modelled newton abbot shed?

regards neil

Archived