rew570

I was blown away by the modelling skills of those displaying and working on items at Acton.  From the cabinets of Metropolitan wagon rakes and locos to those on Abbey Road.  I didn't take the name of one end to end layout, but they showed a complete array of kit and scratchbuilt trains including a lovely 2-6-4 tank, and other steam locos and various LU stock including prototypes in a beautifully detailed atmospheric setting.  Plus an EFE motorised 1938 set.

The Lego set with various LU stock, West Country 21C123 on Pullman and other locos and stock was great fun and the detailing with this medium was just brilliant.  The station and viaduct was fantastic.  Sitting on a chair was a huge Routemaster with an ad for 'The Brickish Bus'.

I didn't realise Hornby's first release was the Met Bo-Bo and coaches.  Wonderful to see these too.

The Bayko layout was great as was 'Baker Street 1863' in Lego.  It was encouraging to see the kids having a go and hopefully they'll be inspired to take up the hobby. 

Envious and thankful there's people out there willing put time and effort into these and for showing what is acheivable with thought and patience.

Truly inspirational.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I went today and really enjoyed it but took no photo's. They layouts on show were very good. The stock on the Romford Model railway clubs layout was very inspirational.

It was my first visit but I will definately be going back for another open day in the future.

Owen

The first time I've attended this event, and wasn't quite prepared for the crowds.  We went with another family yesterday - somehow managing to cram three adults and four children into Prince's tender!

Despite the rain during the afternoon, we all had a great time.  The activities for children were well organised and educational.  The models and demonstrations were absorbing (I liked the Epping-Ongar push-pull set in the display case).  The layouts were brilliant (Abbey Road is superb and I liked the selection of locomotives on the Romford group's layout - including a Kerr Stuart "Brazil").  I ran out of cash on the sales stands (some book bargains to be had there).

(Seems like we can't go anywhere these days without seeing Ken Livingstone - first it was London Zoo at half-term, yesterday in the children's activity centre on the Mezzanine).

post-10122-0-61554800-1365971411.jpg

post-10122-0-85972400-1365971412.jpg

post-10122-0-22722100-1365971414.jpg

post-10122-0-59100100-1365971415.jpg

post-10122-0-59413600-1365971416.jpg

Thanks all that came and said hello on our 5 inch gauge stand, good to catch up with old faces and meet new ones

Talking to The organiser and manager Richard, it was by far their best weekend. ever. much better than previous years, saturday you couldn't move for crowds, all quite tiring for us exhibitors!

Plenty of photos but all much same as above. The Layout you likely looking for was London Road, which had the K 2-6-4 and the Kerr stuart (not a brazil), owned by Steve Smith

Hope everyone enjoyed, keep supporting, and if you have a London themed Layout, please get in touch to exhibit for next year, they always need layouts!

Cheers

Mark

It was the busiest Acton Open Day that I've ever seen. Normally I arrive before opening time, as I buy my ticket in advance, but this year we didn't arrive until about 11:15, and the queue to buy tickets stretched all the way down the drive to the main road. It must have been the lure of Met No 1 an the Ffestiniog loco in steam. It was busy for almost the entire day and we finally left just before closing time (5:00pm) having had yet another enjoyable time at the Depot.

They seem to have re-arranged several exhibits, probably to make room for the A60 car 5034.

The "A to S" video shown in the lecture theatre was interesting in what it left out, particularly the footage that they shot during final leg of the A60 Stock Farewell Tour between Kilburn and Neasden.

Guest maxthemapman

Just wondering whether this is now one of the most popular model railway exhibitions in the country, and one with a particularly large number of impressionable people who might be tempted into the hobby.

If I was a major manufacturer, I would target this event big time, trying to sell as many train sets as possible. Shame its in April and not October, better for Christmas present buying time.

The spring open weekend has previously been about a month earlier in the year and more specifically orientated to modelling IMHO. The rescheduling (coinciding with Easter holidays), 'live' exhibits, and more of an emphasis on being child friendly, looks to have had a good effect on numbers. The generalisations have been made on other topics, but there seemed to be a lot less trainspotter types around, and an increase in casual visitors and families.

Was still an excellent event all round - warmer weather definitely helped I reckon. Well done to the Museum for making their storage facility user-friendly enough to be able to host such events :)

Since there appear to be no images online, and we're already talking 6 months ago, and its common knoweldge, here's photographic evidence. I can't upload the original image with datestamp, but the Car number's in the background!

I should probably say that due to GPS scrambling, no GPS data is 100% correct. Also, I think the speed was on an IPad, and we all know Apple's reputation with navigation applications...! so its safe to say this speed has an accuracy of +/-14mph!!!

EDIT

PICTURE REDACTED by author, not appropriate to post online - if you want a copy, pls PM

Haha quick hide it!!! ;) I heard the drivers were severely reprimanded for it! One last Hurrah though

But I've done the show for 4 years running now as a exhibitor and atleast 2 other years and this is certainly the busiest i've seen it. But this year i feel its as much to do with the lure of Met and Ffestiniog steam! Its perhaps weaker than previous years on the layouts and exhibits side. But i wouldnt think its that big, certainly not to get manufacturers in, not beyond the cottage industry stands that already do it. the other problem is the lack of floor space, and access, that prevent it growing any bigger. Its pretty full floor space wise, there wasnt much more room i remember a few years back when the Model railway club bought copenhagen fields, it was great to see, but they said they wouldnt bring it again, certainly not for a while because the site is so tight.

However there does need to be more stands and exhibitors coming forward, to wring the changes, its been the same stuff for a few years now, partly the reason we wont be doing it again with the 5 inch gauge layout (that and its alot of work to come from warwickshire each day, and we've done 4 years running now! We'll do warley instead likely!)

But agreed, it was a superb show, the stories of at one point of the queue trailing all the way down the road and over the railway bridge! People were queuing up at 20 past 10, when i went to grab a quick breakfast!

Cheers all

Mark

Since there appear to be no images online, and we're already talking 6 months ago, and its common knoweldge, here's photographic evidence. I can't upload the original image with datestamp, but the Car number's in the background!

I should probably say that due to GPS scrambling, no GPS data is 100% correct. Also, I think the speed was on an IPad, and we all know Apple's reputation with navigation applications...! so its safe to say this speed has an accuracy of +/-14mph!!!

attachicon.gifAStockRailtour_Vmax.jpg

Here is a video I shot of the event from within the train!

XF

we did very well on the 7 1/4" gauge line, carrying a record number of passengers (1435ish I think).  We were running all steam in an effort to keep up with the theme but we have agreed we won't be doing this again (for a while anyway).  Its not fair on those who can't drive steam.  I hardly saw the inside of the depot (apart from the loo!) as I was busy outside, but it looked like it was a good show.  Saw the 5 inch stand from afar!

Ta On30runner

we did our best for the steam theme, but had a lot of late pull outs. My pannier wasn't quite in one piece, the Met K's owner wasnt able to make it for family reasons and the Met A and Met H were available in time to have them out! We hope however to have al four i steam together at Quainton road on the first weekend of august at The Vale of aylesbury's met gala. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

......The Layout you likely looking for was London Road, which had the K 2-6-4 and the Kerr stuart (not a brazil), owned by Steve Smith.....

It also appeared at Watford Finescale. Probably the only LT/LU layout I've seen which has got the signalling down to a fine art - the shunt discs and dot-matrix theatre indicator, plus even the little repeater signal heads hanging from the platform canopy are replicated - and they work!

Archived