Connoisseurs 4mm scale kit.

industrial

Its a good model .I have one about 3/4 built ,I mislaid one of the front  cow catchers  etchings for years and found it a few weeks ago stuck on the bottom of the box I kept all the parts in.....doh ..... so all systems go.It will have an old NWSL PDT under it until I build a better chassis  with a High Level gear box . .

Some of the Connoisseurs 4mm LNER/GER Y6 are back in production so if you want some contact him before they sell out.

Err...  Don't...

The Y6 kits are *not* back in production, and won't be part of the Connoisseur range again. 

Having already built one, I personally wanted a couple more kits for myself. 

post-3210-0-29308600-1367911555_thumb.jpg

post-3210-0-11169400-1367911594_thumb.jpg

As there was a need for a small batch to be made from the tools, rather than single kits, then I have offered the remaining kits to members of the Scalefour Society.  They have taken up quite a number, and if there are any remaining after that, I will offer them to members of the GERS (of which I am also a member).

Jim McGeown of Connoisseur has nothing to do with these kits other than kindly agreeing to produce them for me.  The last thing that I wanted to do was to create work for him and put pressure on for a re-introduction of the 4mm kits. 

So please don't ring him up or email him about this.

Cheers

Flymo

Well as a GE Society member, I would very much like to get hold of one!

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Well, I'll pop a message out on the GERS email list in a day or two.  If you're on RMWeb, then I assume that you're on there as well :-)

Unfortunately due to the somewhat antiquated administration of the GERS list, it won't be possible to add attachments.  However you've seen the picture above of the model that it makes up into.

Cheers

Flymo

Flymo, what drive is this designed to use?  Would something like a Black Beetle work?

I honestly don't know, as I've never used a Black Beetle, so I don't know the dimensions of the motor unit. 

The kit itself is designed to be built with a rigid four-coupled chassis.  I actually built it for P4 with very simple modifications by the use of High Level Kits hornblocks on both axles and CSB suspension using guitar strings.

The key thing is that any motor unit would have to fit under and within the boiler unit.  This is fully detailed and included in the kit.  With the open windows all around, you can see a surprising amount of it in the finished model.  This photo is of the body and separate boiler fresh from the Acidip after soldering:

post-3210-0-65490100-1367937293_thumb.jpg

The motor/gearbox has to fit within this opening in the floor:

post-3210-0-21923000-1367937342_thumb.jpg

The motor that I used was a Mashima (I think a 1220) combined with one of the lovely High Level Kits gearboxes.  That sat down nicely between the frames;

post-3210-0-31352800-1367937430_thumb.jpg

I then made the decision to convert my future modelling to DCC, and there was even room for a Zimo chip to sit on a Blutack mount on the top of the motor:

post-3210-0-63572700-1367937523_thumb.jpg

So I'm sorry that I can't answer your question unequivocally, and I hope that the pictures illustrate what can be done, and what is required.

Cheers

Flymo

If it helps, I will be putting a BullAnt into mine.  I expect that it will go under the boiler with minimal cutting and most of that at the bottom where it's least visible.

A Black Beetle has a lower profile and should fit easily.  The problem for you will be how to fix the boiler assembly without making the BB fixing screw permanently inaccessible.  You'll have to fill that hole in to secure the BB.  There's a section on my WB about page 47 where I fit a BB to a Sentinel Railcar and you can see the fixings there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived