SWT 159 and FGW pacer collide

Local gen site says 6 people believed injured, driver of one suffered whiplash, latest is that the units have been separated and no visible damage to either..

"Reports coming in that 2F53 the 1813 Barnstaple - Exmouth has rear ended 1L76

1927 Exeter SD

2F53 is unit 142029, 1L76 is a pair 159022 and 159010 on the back."

Indeed it is....or will that be was after this?

NA used to be permissive platforming till such an inccident ...

Many (most) large stations have permissive platforms, if you stop using them as such you will reduce the service in many areas by at least 50%.

Nottingham, for example, sometimes has 3 trains in one platform, make that 1 per platform and see what it does to the service.

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for this, quite likely weather related.

In the mean time, best wishes to all involved.

• RMweb Premium

Any incident is horrible. Hope all are OK soon.

Slight change of subject; the ECML seems closed!

Agreed re the incident. ECML is OK at present, it has been horrid with delays of up to 3 hours on a couple of trains. Live Departure Board info is not reliable showing trains as 'missing' when a replacement is actually running. Quite often the replacement is also shown as 1 minute after the true due time.

• RMweb Gold

RAIB are investigating the whole incident. Let's not speculate until the investigation has been completed and published.

Captain I feel it strange you quote my post as speculation when it clearly states RAIB is investigating the Pacer. The other posts about permissive working etc include speculation but mine stated a specific statement not they probably will. There is nothing about the cause mentioned in my post just what actually happened which anyone on the platform could have posted too.

It is informed fact as they are. The SWT 159 was released by RAIB and returned to Salisbury depot as it was stationary. As with my post on the DBS incident it states facts not speculation and that fact came from the Depot at Salisbury and our control before it was posted. It has to be done before the 159 could be returned to traffic.

• RMweb Gold

One crew member has whiplash but as with the DBS incident fortunately nothing life threatening for anyone involved.

Let's not speculate until the investigation has been completed and published.

Isn't it impossible to speculate once the facts are published?

One crew member has whiplash but as with the DBS incident fortunately nothing life threatening for anyone involved.

Isn't it impossible to speculate once the facts are published?

With respect Paul, are you not being just a tad pernickety ?

I don't think it is helpful to foster all kinds of comment and speculation on an internet forum when it is possible that employees are under investigation for railway incidents of this kind.

It is too easy to voice an opinion which might not subsequently be correct - but which might be used by others as a benefit. How many times have we criticised the media for incorrect reporting of railway "happenings" when that same media might be using our forum as a source of information ? Google can be a powerful tool !!!

Archived