New Trackside -Corgi

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I see this is mentioned as used in BR yards but does any one know if they were used in steam depots for coaling locos, I am thinking specifically of Bournemouth Central where they coaled the locos with some sort of crane/shovel.

I see this is mentioned as used in BR yards but does any one know if they were used in steam depots for coaling locos, I am thinking specifically of Bournemouth Central where they coaled the locos with some sort of crane/shovel.

I have been unable to find any evidence of B R having any RB19s although I believe that the Eastern Region had one 1949 RB10 excavator (a smaller machine ?)

Merfyn

I would suspect that ones used for loco coaling would be fitted with a clamshell grab or similar. Excavators like the Corgi model would be used in quarries and open-cast coal mines, and possibly, though to a limited extent, for civil engineering works on the railway.

I do remember a similar, though more modern, machine being used at Patchway tip in the 1970s to unload spoil wagons. Instead of the arm that carried the bucket being hinged near the cab, however, it was arranged so that it could slide along the jib. This allowed it to move more-or-less parallel to the ground if the jib was in its lowest position. I believer such machines were referred to as 'skimmers', whilst the Corgi model is a 'face shovel'.

I found this link to some photos of Ruston-Bucyrus machines:-

http://www.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB397GB397&q=ruston+bucyrus&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=EeNYTYvhDojMhAf-7ai8DA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CDsQsAQwAQ&biw=1003&bih=539

The RB10, RB19 etc designation seems to refer to the capacity, in tons, of the basic crane version of the machine. More usually, excavators are referred to in terms of the nominal cubic capacity of the bucket in cubic yards or cubic metres- dump trucks are measured in the same way, which makes estimating the cost and time of earthmoving more simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Oakdale.

A pic. of Bournemouth MPD's coaling crane + info. here.

http://gallery62603..../p31801898.html

When this crane was undergoing maintenence, a replacement would be hired locally, from Selwood Plant Hire.

Although mounted on caterpillar tracks, this was diesel powered, and had a different cab / jib altogether, and loaded using a clam-grab.

I've seen this in operation on the B & R DVD, Volume 61 'Engine on Shed, Part 2'. I still haven't found a decent photo of it tho'.

Regards.

Here are some photos of the two which I bought to use on my proposed steelworks slag reclamation plant. I've just knocked up a quick scene with some broken mortar and dried cement on a bit of contiboard. The RB-19's are straight out of the box.

Firstly a couple of the RB-19s alone;

post-6861-0-69734300-1298483069_thumb.jpgpost-6861-0-66550800-1298483137_thumb.jpg

They're pretty neat models. The tracks and base are cast in metal and have a distinct metallic sheen to them, the bodies have a fairly matt, painted finish. Cab glazing is not flush and there are a lot of small windows. Lettering is limited to the Ruston Bucyrus badge on the boom and RB19 on the front nearside panel. Compared to the pre-production shots the main sheaves are smaller and the rigging is simplified. The cab rotates around the base, the boom and arm can be positioned as required and the bucket tilts to and fro though the rear door/flap is fixed. As you can see on some of the shots, moving the boom and arm throws the rigging into loose loops, so you would need to choose a pose and shorten the lines accordingly. I'm very happy with them, they'll need weathering and the rigging tightening up, but otherwise they're fine.

Some more, with other vehicles to give an idea of size.

post-6861-0-31277300-1298483225_thumb.jpg

Shades of Hell Drivers, a Hawletts parrot nosed Dodge collects another load before terrorising the local lanes.

post-6861-0-86770900-1298483259_thumb.jpg

Dodge and an old Bachmann 3 plank.

post-6861-0-09068900-1298483349_thumb.jpg

Should have used a tripod, Cambrian 'Lancashire Steel Corp. Road Materials Dept.' wagon.

post-6861-0-51038300-1298483377_thumb.jpg

Bachmann 3 plank wagons with Hornby 350hp EE shunter.

• RMweb Premium

I remember my old Corgi 'Preistman' shovel had elasticated thread for the rigging so it kept taught as the arm, boom and bucket moved. Seems they've forgotten as much as they've learnt!

Until it stretched! I have some diecast models made by the Japanese company Shinsei Mini Power dating to the early 80's but the working features no longer work for that very reason. A pity really as they are just the right size for OO and included a working clamshell type excavator. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/shinsei-minipower

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved an e-mail from Corgi today to say that the Coles Argus Crane is now available, RRP £18.99.

http://www.corgi.co....gories=preorder

Oh now that has potential. I noticed this week that Longsight ETD's specimen is currently parked out of use with what looks like fire damage, in a far corner of the staff car park. Wonder if she's a restoration/ preservation candidate, but that's for another thread... wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Having now purchased both of these new models, I;m looking to detail them. The last post does give an interesting pic in BR livery so that's a start! As for the Bucyrus, I can;t find ny info on some that were local to Cambs. Does anyone remember Darby's Sand & Gravel, or Deryk Crouch? I'm sure both of these had some, in a BR style blood/custrd livery.

Thanks in anticipation

Stewart

Stewart

The red & cream livery was the R B house style livery in the 50s so many would have carried that livery unless the customer wanted otherwise. I think it was later than the model though, I could not find any RB19s on flickr although some pictures of similar later machines.

Merfyn.

Stewart

The red & cream livery was the R B house style livery in the 50s so many would have carried that livery unless the customer wanted otherwise. I think it was later than the model though, I could not find any RB19s on flickr although some pictures of similar later machines.

Merfyn.

I believe Crouch repainted their machines into their blue and white scheme when they overhauled them- they used to run a few open-cast operations around South Wales, with machines as big as RB155s. As Merfyn says, the red and cream livery was R&B's normal 'ex-works' finish- it certainly lasted until at least the 1970s. Both R M Douglas and Thyssen had large plant depots near us, so we used to see quite a lot of heavy plant.

Archived