Ranskill Xing Signal Box (ECML) up side. Also Ranskill Wagon Works.

• RMweb Premium

The 'repair' is a bit more substantial than that Beast! It's about a 5th of the length of the whole structure. But thanks. Hoping pic will appear soon.

I reckon it could have been a derailed* wagon causing damage when  there were sidings to the north of the box in the early 1900s; *trap points guarding the up main perhaps?

Whilst discussing Ranskill, is there anyone on RMWeb that has memories of the Ranskill Wagon Works?

Thanks

P

Ranskill box

GN Type 1a/Arksey

Opened 20.12.1875

Extended at non-staircase end, probably when new frame fitted in 1898

An Illustrated History of Great Northern Railway Signalling

Michael A Vanns

0 86093 545 0

Andy

Here's the photo from yesterday:

post-6971-0-64651700-1375265652.jpg

and a crop showing the different brickwork in the fourth "bay" (for want of a better word). On the other side of the box, which I somehow forgot to photograph (sorry), that fourth bay brickwork was distinctly lighter in colour than the other three bays, but on the photographed side, they're more or less even in tone. There wasn't any discernible difference in the roof colour, but you'd kind of expect more weathering there anyway, and possibly the timber work held up the roof even if the brickwork collapsed at the end (wild guess).

post-6971-0-74389700-1375265650_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. That sorts it then. You be a man of many informations :mail: so what's the crack on the Wagon Works?  I never managed to see (I think - can't check as have not got note-book to hand) the works Departmental Locomotives (Y1 68132 and Y3 68181)  when on the ECML a couple of times in steam days, as they were as I now realise, well off the main line.

Thanks for pic EWD

P

• RMweb Premium

This box is due to go within the next couple of years. I am led to believe it is an intermediary box between Donny and Newark to monitor crossings and act as a 'section' if required. There is another either at Sutton on Trent (or near Claypole?) I think that does the same for Newark to Grantham(?) maybe someone can clarify this?

P

• RMweb Gold

Ranskill controls 5 crossings via CCTV - quite a juggling act I would imagine !

Looking at some photos of the panel Ranskill slots Doncaster signals, it doesn't look like there is any emergency local working facility to allow it to function as a stand alone cabin - unless that's in the relay room !

I found this site - a must see for those interested in signalling around the Retford area.

• RMweb Premium

There are just 3 boxes between Donny and Newark now.

This is the back wall of Ranskill box:

http://goo.gl/maps/Z1IBg

Sutton (as opposed to Sutton on Trent) is long gone as a manned post now, it was boarded up last time the Google car went past.

http://goo.gl/maps/CZYAZ

Claypole still seems to be active.

http://goo.gl/maps/Blsg0

There have been a couple of boxes demolished between Newark and York this year but I'm not certain exactly which ones.

Thanks Andy. That sorts it then. You be a man of many informations :mail: so what's the crack on the Wagon Works?  I never managed to see (I think - can't check as have not got note-book to hand) the works Departmental Locomotives (Y1 68132 and Y3 68181)  when on the ECML a couple of times in steam days, as they were as I now realise, well off the main line.

Thanks for pic EWD

P

Not much known about the wagon works by me. I thought it was a post war use of the ROF facilities, but Peter Coster in Book of the Great Northern suggests that it existed pre-1939. It appears to have closed in late 1958 - do the withdrawal/transfer dates of the locos back that up?  A bit about it, though mostly about the ROF is here http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6352

Andy

Archived