Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'Day Folks

Spending quite a bit of time ballasting and and doing scenery, a long (six foot) cutting wall, I turned my attention to an old stalled project, the Sentinal railcar, she was 80% done, I could not work out how to wire the darn thing up, so she went onto a siding at Edgware, as a reminder, finally managed to work out the wiring, and the undergubbins were built and fitted, it's had a run on Edgware, and works well (relief) so anoth coat of paint and the name cut out and fitted, all I have to do now is make the steps.

manna

post-19471-0-34585000-1511902965.jpg

post-19471-0-03641000-1511902985.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

G'Day Folks

After what seems an age, I've dragged myself back to the workbench, with the heat in the shed and a lot of scenery down (well, for now.) I thought it was time for the next engine reveal, after I changed my mind on the 'small Atlantic' I had a spare chassis and runningplate, I was trying to find a use for them, now I've had a hankering for a LNER class E1 for quite a while so out came the ruler and the books, after a couple of seconds, Yeah, I could make one of those, the runningplate has been shortened and a bit of metal has been filed down, and Bingo, it would work, after four days, some of it inside to avoid the 40c + degrees of heat outside, I'm at the point where you won't see a pile of plastic junk !!!!!!

manna

DSCF3092.jpg

DSCF3093.jpg

DSCF3094.jpg

DSCF3095.jpg

DSCF3097.jpg

DSCF3098.jpg

DSCF3101.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 8

Manna, An excellent thread, really enjoyed coming up to speed.

You don't half muck about do ya? I like the look of the Klondike, you must go through a fair bit of plastikard though!

G'day Folks

Thanks Jack P, Surprisingly, I haven't bought any Plastikard for ages, for the running plates, I use 2mm plastikard, which came in a 400mm x 400mm sheet, I bought that about four years ago, and I still have a bit left.

manna

PS, Thinking back on the thick plastikard, it may have been 500x500, so a big sheet. Terry,

Edited by manna
  • Like 2

Hello Terry making your excellent progress once again I see. Already this ones starting to take shape.

I've been in and out of hospital the last few months with the prospect of more visits to come so modeling has taken on a low priority in my household at the moment so I've come to the decision to box everything up and send it to you to complete. Don't worry each one will come with lots of photos and a full set of instructions and I guess as there's about half a dozen at your pace of work you'll be done by say..... next Christmas?

seriously though once again I can only marvel at your for-site and skill at being able to look at something like an old Triang chassis and turn it into a beautiful well balanced model with just off cuts of plastic tube and plasticard.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Manna

How come I have not found this thread before.....WOW!!!!

I don't know much about GNR locos so your models could be hopelessly wrong, I bet they are not, but I am amazed at how you have achieved such a great variety using RTR chassis and plastic card.

I am going back to page one for a second read.

I haven't clicked on the like and craftsman buttons, I am scared too much pressing will cause my finger tip to get a blister.

The photo of you beside 1500, out of a class of 512 built it was unique when new in it only having one support to each radiator grille, all the others with 3 part fixed grilles had two, and only one support to each engine room and boiler room grille. D1501-9 had the same style for their engine room and boiler grilles but had two support bars on each radiator grille. Bachmann made a model of D1500 in two tone green, everyone moaned about the wrong fuel tanks and the "rivets" around the windscreens but none of the "experts" mentioned the grilles were wrong. It has the later production machines arrangement.

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Thank you for the comments, Londontram. I do hope it's not to serious and you soon return to modelling 'your Caly loco's'.

Clive, where have you been, down the Diesel Depot again !  D1500, was a favorite with me, as I can remember it running up and down the ECML in 1962/3, then years later getting the chance to drive some of the loco's was a bonus, nearly 50 years on, I can still remember the sequence on how to start these loco's.

Chris, your right, he "Should" know a lot more about GN loco's, if he comes back again (unlikely) we'll set him on the path to righteousness..................................LOL

manna 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To the Headmasters study boy!

500 lines for you...at the least..

G'Day Folks

Thank you for the comments, Londontram. I do hope it's not to serious and you soon return to modelling 'your Caly loco's'.

Clive, where have you been, down the Diesel Depot again !  D1500, was a favorite with me, as I can remember it running up and down the ECML in 1962/3, then years later getting the chance to drive some of the loco's was a bonus, nearly 50 years on, I can still remember the sequence on how to start these loco's.

Chris, your right, he "Should" know a lot more about GN loco's, if he comes back again (unlikely) we'll set him on the path to righteousness..................................LOL

manna 

Look guys

There is only so much this old brain can learn, it has been filled up with stuff I am never going to use again so finding room for information the umpteen types of tender dragged around by the humble Midland Railway Class 3 goods engine was a struggle. I can readily identify 8 different variations of 3F 0-6-0s before thinking about the coal and water truck. So where is there room for GNR locos? I will admit Ivatt's locos always look nice and have a wonderful family appearance.

I will try my best to be able to tell them apart.

So when are we going to see an A5 4-2-2, they look lovely?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

G'Day Folks

All in good fun Clive, got to be able to have a laugh, The older the loco, the more diverse, the J3's and 4's are a nightmare.

I'll let you in a secret Clive but don't tell anyone, I do have a Hornby 'Caly' single chassis, sitting in the draw, with all the excess body's and chassis, so it could end up as a A5, I wonder if they were painted in 'Grey' during the First World War ??

manna

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

A few more bits done on the E1, but nothing startling, only the buffer beam, in wood !

I've gone back to the O1, again, this time to finish it, fitted a new GN chimney, I think the other one came of of the GWR !, a reversing leaver, renumbered and a load of filth, after doing that I found my handrail knobs, so a job for today.

manna

PS, Been really grey here in Oz, so a few better pics might go down well.

DSCF3121.jpg

DSCF3120.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks

Time for a update, things are speeding up a bit after a bit of experimentation, I quite like the tender drives Hornby bought out years ago, mainly because GN locos had rather small boilers and they run fairly well, although the wheels are a bit undersize.............! so using a 'Schools' tender as a Guinea Pig, I removed the motor part, leaving just the basic mazack ? frame, I removed the axlebox detail and replaced them with a new sideframe and the fitted new whitemetal axleboxes (see pics below) then a new body (GN style) was built to fit on the frames, a tight push fit.

With the loco, the front carrying wheels have now been attached, the slots in the side frames have been cutout and very small splashers fitted besides the springs, also a real wood buffer beam has been fitted.

manna

post-19471-0-73673600-1520410141.jpg

post-19471-0-03000300-1520410168.jpg

post-19471-0-07220900-1520410186.jpg

post-19471-0-48389000-1520410209.jpg

post-19471-0-34070900-1520410232.jpg

post-19471-0-95676200-1520410255.jpg

post-19471-0-43994400-1520410278.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

G'day Folks

Time for a update, things are speeding up a bit after a bit of experimentation, I quite like the tender drives Hornby bought out years ago, mainly because GN locos had rather small boilers and they run fairly well, although the wheels are a bit undersize.............! so using a 'Schools' tender as a Guinea Pig, I removed the motor part, leaving just the basic mazack ? frame, I removed the axlebox detail and replaced them with a new sideframe and the fitted new whitemetal axleboxes (see pics below) then a new body (GN style) was built to fit on the frames, a tight push fit.

With the loco, the front carrying wheels have now been attached, the slots in the side frames have been cutout and very small splashers fitted besides the springs, also a real wood buffer beam has been fitted.

manna

Yo Manna

Still none the wiser on GNR locos but that E1 does look nice. :good: 

"I quite like the tender drives Hornby bought out years ago"  Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water how dare you say such a thing, they are the invention of the red bloke with a tail and horns. :rtfm: Don't tell anyone but I find the power bogies version excellent for my modelling methods, and if looked after run well. :secret:

I am looking forward to the next installment. :)

• Like 1

As ever, some fascinating modelling on here.

IMHO, the problem with tender drives wasn't the drive, it was the loco they pushed and its cruddy motion and valve gear that jammed at the first opportunity. The motor after all is the same one employed in many of their diesels, and seems to work fine.

John.

• Like 1

I agree. The loco sliding along with its wheels locked is not a good look. Also you can often tell it's being pushed from its behaviour. Finally the gubbins under RTR motorised tenders spoils the appearance, although Hollywood Foundry solved that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Time for another update, been rather slow, think it's down to lack of mojo + other worries, but, I've limped along well enough to get to this stage, I've still go a couple of jobs to do, I have to fit the handrails, I have enough, but I'd have to do each side in a different style, so I'll wait until I get some more. I can't find the drawbar, it's around here somewhere ??????

Next Project, couple of LNER wagons a 'Fish' and a' Banana' wagon, the banana wagon is a Ratio, BR one, so a conversion to do.

manna

post-19471-0-26168700-1521701315.jpg

post-19471-0-12204400-1521701341.jpg

post-19471-0-62278500-1521701359.jpg

post-19471-0-35145100-1521701381.jpg

post-19471-0-08979300-1521701405.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 weeks later...

G'day Folks

Well I wasn't going to do another loco build so soon after the E1, but !!!

My C12, has been giving me a bit of a problem, runs well with the body off, but runs like a three legged pig, with the body on, I've tried plenty of plastic tape inside the body, to no avail, so I'm doing the same as I did with the K's J3, use the chassis and build a new 'plastic' body, then try to fit the brass body to a re-wheeled Nellie chassis, nothing to lose.

I have a couple of 'spare' Thomas bodies, and the side tanks are the same size as the C12's tanks (minus the extension tank) so there is one each side and another cut up to make the rear tank and coal bunker, wanted to use more of Thomas, (boiler top), but it's a bit to short.

Here's a couple of pics of the latest lash up.  :senile:

manna

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3170.jpg

DSCF3171.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

G'Day Folks

Another day, and progress has been made. Time to make the bufferbeams. Enjoy

manna

DSCF3173.jpg

DSCF3175.jpg

DSCF3177.jpg

DSCF3178.jpg

DSCF3181.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content, plus an extra one.
  • Like 12

G'Day Folks

Hi Dave, the chassis is from Craftsman, I have the body as well, but the two won't run together, so I'm building another body, hopefully it'll cure the problem. The all I have to do is adapt a "Nellie' chassis to fit the brass body.

Buffer beams built today, body painted, but still wet, so pics tomorrow

manna

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Been a while since I last updated, the C12 hasn't moved, but may well jump back into the limelight soon.

Thanks to the generosity of two fellow RM Webbers, Dave (Chris P Bacon) and Jason (JCL) I am now in the possession of a, GN A5 (4-2-2) body, a ECJS coach  and a couple of GN 4 plank wagons. Which shunted everything else back a ways, the A5 is now sitting on it's Caly single chassis, but will have to wait until I can  pick up a Schools tender drive, as I don't think I can get a motor in it.

I'm in the throws of building a chassis for the coach, the wagons have been cleaned up and will follow the coach in the building line.

manna

DSCF3233.jpg

DSCF3230.jpg

DSCF3231.jpg

DSCF3232.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9