Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Hi Jaz,

This was what cold and condensation did   ........

11981183805_c34743b52c_c.jpg
DSC_0479 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The glue just went soft and the paper simply fell away.

There were 2 types of glue - PVA [good quality] and the Poster spray stuff.

It wasn't particularly damp either, just the effects of occasional mild condensation and temperatures of down to 5o.

The new Backscenes are printed on plastic and are self adhesive.

I used a bit of a trick we did when covering maps for Navigation in the RAF.  Peel back about 2" of the backing on the adhesive and crease across where it separates. [photo 2 in Post 80]

It can then be turned over and slid around to get the right position, on the bit that is not peeled back.  When satisfied, press those first exposed 2" and then slide another 2" of backing away. [photo 3 in post 80]

A cloth is best for pressing down, but that is common knowledge really.

Once you have done that a few times the backing can be slid sideways and peeled diagonally.....

12156097953_65eb94c5d7_c.jpg
DSC_0517 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

PS. I'm going to leave it in the Dining Room for as long as I can before putting it back in the Conservatory  --  so I can enjoy seeing it looking right - before it falls off again!!

IMHO that inspirational original shunting plank has got itself a bit larded up over the months and years. I always admired it sitting on the window ledge like a garden railway.

Looking at those pics above I compared the plain wall version (post 77) with the wrap around back scene (post 80) - yer wastin yer sweat lad.

"Less is more" said Mrs Mies van der Moore.

Went for a ride in SWMBO's MX7 today (she's done just over a 1000 miles in it in less than 4 years!) and got a nasty cold shower from all the icy condensate water dripping off the inside of the hood down my neck - same wintry prob I think....lack of :sungum:

davehig

• Like 1

Good to see you over here rar,

and thank you for the Kal hint  ...... 

I wish I had seen this plastic, self-adhesive version before I tried the other paper Backscene. It was so very easy to put on, without wrinkles or bubbles and didn't need drying time.

I spoke with a ferry skilful Penguin lover Modeller from Dover earlier about getting the backscene to stick down in the place you intend it too.  I had rather glossed over an important bit which would turn what looks like a really tricky process, with plastic stuck all over the place, into a very simple and rapid job.

In post #80 I showed a picture of the rear of the Backscene with a 2" portion of the backing peeled back.  It is this which makes the job so much easier.

12155909075_1417b8e595_c.jpg
DSC_0507 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Once peeled back this far, it is also important to crease across the peeled bit of backing, so it pretty much lies flat. The crease is maybe easier to see here  ...  the scissors are a prop to make it easier to see the peeled back bit.

12156306874_0c92a5af58_c.jpg
DSC_0508 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

At this point it is possible to fold the peeled bit gently back over the surface you want to stick it to -  BUT - don't press the sticky bit onto the surface yet. the folded and creased backing will keep it just above the surface.

What you have now is the whole Backscene laid flat on the surface you want to attach it to, but still able to slide it around, to adjust exactly to where you want it.  Place a couple of soft weights to keep it in place.

Once you have it lined up in position - hold it firmly in place keeping a weight at the far end and one hand, quite close to the folded back / sticky end [about a Foot or so].

A last look to see it is still in the required place and take a cloth in the other hand - smoothing from the fixed hand towards the sticky bit - rubbing down over the backing you creased and then the sticky bit itself.

You should now have one end fixed to the board / surface and the rest should still be exactly where you placed it. - [if it isn't right you only have a 2" bit to pull free and adjust]

At this point the Backing plastic can be peeled another 2" and the newly exposed sticky rubbed down - from the end which is already stuck towards the hand.

[NB - if you work 2" at a time the backscene has less chance to become "Wayward".]

You will have to reach under the Scene to reach the backing for a number of 2" peels  ...  This picture is exaggerated, so you can see the backing plastic where it has peeled away from the picture....

.........   there would obviously be a hand on the Yellow cloth there, while the backing is peeled, each time.

12155886605_66f16d943a_c.jpg
DSC_0509 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The peeling process is really rather quick and there is plenty of time to make sure it is going down correctly.

I have no connection with the id Backscenes and I am really pleased how easy this was, with such a good result on both sides of the Back-board.

PS. I stuck the whole piece onto the board first and then trimmed it to the back-board with a Scalpel.

• Like 1

I had real trouble with my backscene, as it was non sticky.

Tried PVA, Spray mount

Things bubbled, things tore ect

Eventually after alot of experimentation I found wallpaper paste and a roller gave the perfect result.

Thought it might be a useful tip for anyone else cursing over a non adhesive backsceen

I use this method all the time as it is part of my job description!

I also peel back the backing material about the same amount but then smooth from the "dry" end to the top corner at the "sticky" end first. That way you can check the alignment is still good to go before getting in too deep. Follow by smoothing down the rest of the initial small area by wiping vertically across the strip from the "dry" end back to the "sticky" end. This way the initial grab is perfect without creases or bubbles. After that, it's Slow Eddie up to the point where the backing material is longer than the top layer. Then it all becomes way more easier as you can hold the backing material with one hand and lift the remainder of the job up off the surface as you quietly wipe down the "sticky" area moving towards the "dry" area. Most people I know are right handed so you naturally seem to use the right hand to wipe down and the left hand to hold the backing. I have had to wipe down large adhesive vinyl signs up to 1200mm wide by 4 metres long. If you get a bubble in the vinyl surface, just pop it with a small sharp pin to allow the air to escape. You will find that the vinyl will "rest" down onto the surface without any more work. The more you work at a bubble, the worse it will get.

As most railway backscenes are way too low (I prefer backscenes at around 500-600m high that hide any distraction beyond the model) this should be a quick and very easy way to add a superb improvement to the overall look of the scene. Remember, not only you look at the model, most non-modellers react more favourably to a realistic scene - it  seems to give it more credence.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the Solent Show in Eastleigh over the weekend  ...............  there was a delightful diversity of layouts on display  ........ 

aside from buying a kit for the Hornby Scaledale Covered Coal Shed   .......     [Yes, those in the know will be saying that it isn't a kit   ...   well it is when you get one that was dropped on the floor, before you bought it  .....   and it gets sold as being a complete model with parts that fit to make it   .......    I know - I should have looked closer - but it was cheap - is still all there and I do have glue and suitable touch up colours  ....   anyway, I am pleased I didn't buy his DCC fitted Bachmann Deltic, now  ...    :beee: ]

I was looking at an Exhibit called Decal Transfer, a shunting game based on 1960s New England vans. It was very like the other Inglenook games, with appropriate scenery. What also caught my interest was the use of Kaydees and particularly the flat magnets used. .................  I got chatting to the nice gentleman running it [Andrew Knights??]  .......   so then  .......

I ended up buying a packet of 4 No. 18 NEM 362 fitting Magne-matic couplers - just to see if they might be ok for size ................   well you know, just a bit of curiosity sort of thing  .........  :angel:  :angel:

12749693313_ef8be3d0a3_c.jpg
DSC_0555 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I thought they looked quite a bit better than the Tension locks and they did negotiate the curves on the points without the buffers arguing  .........   

I also get an excuse to lay out a 17" radius test track, tomorrow and see how they fare there   ........ 

I also get another excuse to go to Ron Lines in S'hampton to pick up a few more    .........   along with a Kaydee height gauge    .....................  :drag:  

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................   [and maybe see if they have a Deltic for sale too...    :devil:    ]

Edit:- Iron = Ron

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 5

Loving the diesel re-fuelling stand, needs a rusty oil drum or two.

I like the telephone signage you made.Was red an actual colour for the telephones. I have google diesel/fuel/pumps/disel spillage/loco refuelling ....you name it I tried it, nd unfortunately I either have the wording wrong or it just was of little interest. Can barely find any reference matter. ;(

Edited by Jaz

I just used put a Nosmo King sign, as they were pretty prevalent years ago....

12749650163_0d5340a84d_c.jpg
DSC_0557 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

put it in Word and "Saved as a Picture"   .....   measured the sign board and sized the picture in Office   ...   print - thin slime of PVA and there it is  ...  

The laugh is that good old "Nosmo" was all over the place around Diesel and Avtur [Aviation Jet fuel] installations,   ......  :smoke:   if you have ever tried to put a match to the stuff, you will know how very, VERY hard it is to set alight, like that  ....   

.....   as the regulations followed on after Petrol installations - which DID need them  ...     :scared:

• Like 3

Not sure about this one  ...   and I do actually mean unsure   ......   :scratchhead:

a yellow back ground with a T sign in black or a picture of a telephone, I

We need the assistance of a Rail-man, who has worked the Refuelers  ...   I have an inkling that a phone where it is would be a direct line to an emergency centre of some kind   .......  in which case it would carry a slightly different message   ....

......   "In Emergency pick up Phone"   .....   "Emergency Phone Only"  ....   "In case of fire use Phone"  ......   "In case of Fire - Phone"   ....    "Emergency Fire Phone"   ......   "In case of fire, Run like F***" and use the next phone you see!!

OK, light relief time - Guy [not saying which country, for fear of reprisals  ...   :O   .... lands Hawker Hunter at Chivenor .....  well nearly - it did touch down on the runway     ........   unfortunately beyond half-way down it   .........   Hawker Hunter is a bit fast for stopping in the runway left to it, so it exits the runway at the far end   ....   and exits the station boundary , through the fence line, which in return removes most of the wings    ....    and continues on into the Tidal mud flats of the River Taw Estuary   .......   Fire and Rescue Crane leap into action, off down the Perri' track to rescue said pilot  ....   they wade through thick mud, Axes at the ready to smash the Cockpit Hood and rescue the guy  ....  only to find the cockpit already vacant  .....

........   very shortly, after the flight records have revealed that pilot "X" should have been present to be rescued, they start a hunt for the missing fella  ..  clearly staggered off suffering injuries and delirious from the impact and lying drowning in the mud flats   .......  

.....    a short while later, an Air Traffic Officer goes to the Mess after his Stag is finished   .....   Lo and behold who should be sitting in the Mess reading a paper, but pilot "X", who claims that he hasn't been airborne all that day, at all and was nowhere near "What Accident"?     ...........................................................................................................   but he is freshly showered AND the newspaper he is reading is upside-down   ......   :blind:

I spoke with a ferry skilful Penguin lover Modeller from Dover earlier about getting the backscene to stick down in the place you intend it too.  I had rather glossed over an important bit which would turn what looks like a really tricky process, with plastic stuck all over the place, into a very simple and rapid job.

Is my name MUD.......... :no:

Get your's, Here...........MUD.............demonstrated by some of the most talented modellers from around the World.

Edited by David Todd

Ahhh ...  all is revealed at last  .........    :scratchhead:

Get your's, Here...........MUD.............demonstrated by some of the most talented modellers from around the World.

...............    I had assumed that this was short for  .... "Modeller from Upper Dover"  .....   or  ...   "Modelling Upper Dover"  ....  or  ...  "Mixed Up Dover"  ......   immediately dismissed the idea of - "Mashed Up Dover"  ......    :senile:  :jester:

Just because, wee live in southern Latitudes and it has been raining a lot and the rivers are up   ............................    don't mean uz 'aint bin doin' nowt yer ye know    ...................

..................................           ................................         .............   we  ............................................   have been quoit active ere, on the quiet   ........................                        .................................

..................................         'an't dozin'ye know        ..................................   ..........................   ..............      .................     :drag:

............................       ............................................                 ...............................

12927814123_49ffd5f2a0_c.jpg
DSC_0589 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

........................................    zzzzzzzzzzzz     .....................................................................    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

..............................     zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz            .....................     Uhhh  ...................      "Oh hi Ni..  "  .........    oops      ..........  errr, you bin there long     .....      

I was just, err checking the interior surface of the eyelids to see if any light could leak in through them   .........     :pardon:

I was reading up about these Kadee NEM clips couplers and noticed the bit about Bachmann pocket being higher and not working properly [- well some of them but not all???]. Like they say the one on the covered wagon there is higher than the Gauge   .................   

Can't have that I thought, but moving the pocket seems to involve slicing it away from the base and fitting padding, then gluing it all back again    ................    and being a fully paid-up member of the Clumsy Club thought a little further   ......

......   why not pack the top of the coupler pocket, and file away the bottom of the Coupler, swallow-tail by the same amount   ....... [NB. It was easier to use a Nail-file and move the Swallow-tail over it, rather than holding the Swallow-tail still and moving the file.  ... :secret:

like this  ...........................

12926513645_f0e51ba2ba_c.jpg
DSC_0559 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and then fit it back together again when the dimensions match enough for a slide in fit    .....

like this  ..................

12926501215_b26df74258_c.jpg
DSC_0560 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The white bit is the packing and the picture taken as the swallow-tail is 1/2 way in  

and the result is here  ....

12928132374_1efcc45028_c.jpg
DSC_0584 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It is just possible to see a touch of the white packing, which will have to have a little trim, yet    ...............................

the only slight reservation I have, is that the other end, being slightly loose, seems to work just as well, over the magnets  ....   so all-in-all membership of the Clumsy Club remains quite justified   .......    :banghead:

Anyway, time for other events  ......   Wg Co is getting in a bit of a flap, as he is expecting a visitor  ....   sometime soon  .........

................    and that on top of a little bit of bother with his new Shunter  .....    has a Regulator like a massive On/ Off switch  ....   nearly lost a Fireman into the Bunker last week  ...

had to call in the Bach-fitter-mann to re engine the thing  ....   right palaver and it still behaved like a demented Kangaroo   .........   decided to go to the Zorro Training Company [ZTC] to see if they could calm it down a bit   ..................   much better now but another chat with ZTC might be of use  .......

......................     Oh, crickey  ...   got to run   .................   the Old Man thinks he can hear a visitor approaching   ...........   yelled something about a "K"  - getting repetitive in his old age too  .........   :bye:  :bye:

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2