acg5324

• RMweb Premium

gallery_681_3476_175214.jpg

Is that a Dolly Sprint on the left? A mate of mine used to have one and it went like the proverbial **** off a shovel. Was DJFC there with his MG?

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that a Dolly Sprint on the left? A mate of mine used to have one and it went like the proverbial **** off a shovel. Was DJFC there with his MG?

Yes and no. Daves MGB is in their garage awaiting a full strip and respray......funny he was talking about it last night at club, SHMBO has given him permission to get it done.

• RMweb Premium

Yes and no. Daves MGB is in their garage awaiting a full strip and respray......funny he was talking about it last night at club, SHMBO has given him permission to get it done.

Hmm, I think that was the story about 10 years ago as well.

• RMweb Premium

A great weekend in York at the inlaws included a trip to the NYMR for the Diesel gala on the friday.

we caught the 1209 from Pickering powered by 45060 Sherwood Forester.

gallery_681_3476_156587.jpg

Nice to have some 'Peak' power as I used to travel to see relatives in Nottingham when it was almost always a 45 out of St Pancras.

The day turned out to be just like work as we arrived at Levisham with a passenger taken ill and ambulance called. 65 mins before the ambulance arrived and 90 mins before we were on the move which put the SLW into dissarray. Hope the person has recovered and is OK.

This is 45060 departing Levisham

gallery_681_3476_29094.jpg

While we were away a couple of parcels arrived

gallery_681_2306_89370.jpg

3 Fleischmann vans and some Tomytec cars from DM Toys in Germany. The vans were only 8 euros each ( I Think ) and will be the basis for some Transfesa ferry vans.....more on that later.

On the IPod Depeche Mode - Precious.

The Sherpa van/ mini bus and the Leyland Ego and Bedford cabs are from PG Models

I'm going to use the cabs which are off some of the vehicle kits they do to replace cabs on some BT Models or Oxford Diecast models.

First up is this.

gallery_681_2306_62122.jpg

Foden BRS lorry dismantled

gallery_681_2306_92836.jpgW

With the Ergomatic cab temporarily attached to check for fit.

gallery_681_2306_109021.jpg

And the other side.

The Bedford cabs will probably be used on a BT Models van to replace the Leyland FG cab.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

"A great weekend in York at the inlaws" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

I cut my teeth on the Peaks, first in Derby Works then at Toton, including the occasional run to Leeds and back with the sleepers.

• RMweb Premium

"A great weekend in York at the inlaws" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

I cut my teeth on the Peaks, first in Derby Works then at Toton, including the occasional run to Leeds and back with the sleepers.

We weren't there much, NYMR Friday, out with friends Sat night and a 5 mile walk around Malham Cove on Sunday. It was the F.I.Ls 80th birthday so we took them out for lunch on Saturday.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blimey over a month since the last update. Been a bit of a job getting access to the PC as Mrs G is working from home everyday whilst the office she works in near Euston is refurbished.

Not much progress on the layout apart from laying more Cork and tidying up the workbench  layout to start track laying!

I have finished my Leyland Ergo 8 Wheeler just need to find a suitable load for it

My article on building the carflats has appeared in the latest Traction Magazine...just waiting for the Booker prize to arrive in the post now!

I've acquired a pair of these......can you guess what they are?  No your eyes are OK the picture is blurry!

gallery_681_3476_15243.jpg

Some more road vehicles have been completed

gallery_681_2306_64319.jpg

Parker Mk1 Ford Transit LWB.

gallery_681_2306_5164.jpg

gallery_681_2306_51402.jpg

AEC 8 Wheeler. This an AEC / Leyland Ergomatic cab mounted on to an Oxford Diecast 8 wheel flatbed chassis.

The cab is from PG Models 

gallery_681_2306_48711.jpg

From L to R

R Parker Ford Transit

Leyland Ergo

Graham Avis Range Rover

Graham Avis Ford Capri Mk2

R Parker Jaguar 

gallery_681_3483_59443.jpg

gallery_681_3483_8820.jpg

The Farish SR Bogie vans have arrived.......boy do they need weathering.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry about the long gap between posts but work does get in the way especially in my job.......however we have some pics

first up are a couple of the Blue SR Bogie vans nearing there final colours, one very heavily weathered the other a bit lighter. Both still have some more work to do especially on the roof.

gallery_681_3483_133855.jpg

gallery_681_3483_116815.jpg

On my previous post I put a couple of blurry pictures...can you guess what they are...and no guesses.

Here is some progress on them and something to make them move which should keep John ( St Enodoc ) happy :)

gallery_681_3476_88978.jpg

gallery_681_3476_58892.jpg

gallery_681_3476_120848.jpg

gallery_681_3476_103163.jpg

gallery_681_3476_13020.jpg

They are of course London Underground pway wagons from Parkwood Models along with a Battery loco. The wagons have been altered to take spare microtrain bogies and couplers that I had. The loco needs a lengthened Kato shorty tram chassis to make it run this is pictured alongside it and has just arrived from Japan having taken since the 17th of August to get to Brighton but as it only cost me £11 including P&P who cares!

PS Nice sunny day in Brighton today :)

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Sorry about the long gap between posts but work does get in the way especially in my job.......however we have some pics

first up are a couple of the Blue SR Bogie vans nearing there final colours, one very heavily weathered the other a bit lighter. Both still have some more work to do especially on the roof.

gallery_681_3483_133855.jpg

gallery_681_3483_116815.jpg

On my previous post I put a couple of blurry pictures...can you guess what they are...and no guesses.

Here is some progress on them and something to make them move which should keep John ( St Enodoc ) happy :)

gallery_681_3476_88978.jpg

gallery_681_3476_58892.jpg

gallery_681_3476_120848.jpg

gallery_681_3476_103163.jpg

gallery_681_3476_13020.jpg

They are of course London Underground pway wagons from Parkwood Models along with a Battery loco. The wagons have been altered to take spare microtrain bogies and couplers that I had. The loco needs a lengthened Kato shorty tram chassis to make it run this is pictured alongside it and has just arrived from Japan having taken since the 17th of August to get to Brighton but as it only cost me £11 including P&P who cares!

PS Nice sunny day in Brighton today :)

Very nice Andy. We did a condition survey on the complete LUL loco and wagon fleet back in about 1993/4. A very interesting job.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, largely due to work and then the unexpected and sudden death of my Mum. With just six shifts to work before I take early retirement ( which will hopefully mean a bit more modelling time ) 2016 will be a very new year in many ways.

I wish you all a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year wherever you are.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, largely due to work and then the unexpected and sudden death of my Mum. With just six shifts to work before I take early retirement ( which will hopefully mean a bit more modelling time ) 2016 will be a very new year in many ways.

I wish you all a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year wherever you are.

Same to you and Debbie.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well its nearly three months since I posted anything here and about 11 weeks since I took early retirement. I thought I'd have plenty of time to do more modelling but that hasn't been the case however despite zero progress with Kenny O I have been doing a little bit of modelling and have made a few purchases

To DCC or not to DCC that is the question........which I think I've answered by getting this from Wickness Models at a good price. Nothing chipped to run yet though.

gallery_681_3383_145699.jpg

I've also managed to get another 3 MK1 FK's ( at a very good price ) bringing me up to 12 plus a FO. I missed out on the Mk2 FK's I was tipped off about, waited to long and they had sold out. Would still like to have a Mk2 rake.

gallery_681_3383_127347.jpg

I think I'm going to settle on the following train lengths for the Motorail services of 5 carflats and 5 coaches ( BSK or BSO and 4 x FK ) the services that had a Buffet will lose a FK. The overnights will have 4 sleepers vice the FK's.

The complicated one is the Dover/Brockenhurst to Stirling. Each portion will be a brake vehicle two sleepers and 3 carflats making a 12 car rake in total. Should be interesting shunting that lot together!

What little modelling I have managed has been to convert a BT models L.A.D. cabbed van into this a Bedford furniture lorry. The cab is from PG Models. As yet I haven't decided what colour to paint it.......green for Harrods? Blue for Pickfords? or just make up a fictitious livery.

gallery_681_2306_46065.jpg

And finally who could resist this lovely little Bedford CA ice cream van from Oxford Diecast

gallery_681_2306_11936.jpg

Despite having a Yorkie for a wife ( not the Rowntrees version) I've not been able to get to the York Model Railway show for several years due to shift work..... Yippee that's over and done with now so I will be enjoying myself on Saturday at the Racecourse.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Slightly late on this one, but I've got to say how good those Graham Avis cars look! I think it's the first time I've ever seen those solid white metal cars look so convincing. The level of gloss to the finish, and neatness of the headlights etc look really good. Any particular tips on the painting?

• RMweb Premium

Slightly late on this one, but I've got to say how good those Graham Avis cars look! I think it's the first time I've ever seen those solid white metal cars look so convincing. The level of gloss to the finish, and neatness of the headlights etc look really good. Any particular tips on the painting?

They are all spray painted, using Tamiya cans. The windows are picked out in dark gray acrylic paint then varnished and the headlamps in silver. Just use a good paint brush and a steady hand! The jag and transit are from R Parker which shows that it is possible to have proper glazing in a white metal casting this small. The Leyland truck is an Oxford chassis with a PG models cab. I do wish Oxford and BT models would do some more modern cabs on their ranges of trucks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well not much progress again......apart from........four more Mk1 carflats under construction, two complete less paint and decals, one 80% complete the other 50% complete, photos to follow shortly.

Some more points have arrived so I will make a start on some proper track laying, also I've finally got round to ordering copper clad sleeper strip from Marcway models which should arrive this week.

As a bit of fun the picture below, from my collection, shows a Norwood to Brighton parcels train with MK1 Pullman E315E 'Heron' at the front of the train enroute to form the team coach for a Brighton & Hove Albion football charter in May 1979. I realised that GF have produced this coach and for £13 including postage I acquired one from that auction site. 

p1710652862-4.jpg

So photographed in our sunny back garden is the same train.......without Croydon but with added bird poo ( bit like Croydon then! )

gallery_681_3483_30510.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Here are the four carflats under construction, 3 now complete less paint and decals and the last one being built. Side railings are in front of it.

gallery_681_2084_33676.jpg

gallery_681_2084_76508.jpg

The cars are Oxford VW Camper ( foul of gauge I expect ) and then three Tomytec cars.

This will bring the total up to 19. As I will need to fill some sidings with them I will probably have to build around 30.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well the four Carflats are finished, all painted and decals applied. I'll get some photos posted shortly. This brings me up to 19 with a cheap Mk1 RB in the post this will become number 20.

The same as everyone there are a few part completed projects to finish.

The last of a batch of different ferry tank wagons needs doing. This is a modified Roco tank wagon barrel on a PECO tank wagon chassis with new ladders and piping etc. This will be an approximation for this ICI tank http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/icichemical/h3ecf069c#h36bbfa1f

Photos to follow.

Bedford TK furniture lorry, final filler and rub down before painting.

Tomytec Toyota Landcruiser, converted from fire brigade to civilian and altered to have a tailgate instead of doors.

Leyland ERGO cab tractor unit. A combination of PG models cab and BT models chassis.

My supply of copper clad sleepers finally arrived. N scale strip and TT single sleepers. The TT ones were a replacement as Marcway Models had no N gauge ones and said the price is likely to double when they do get some! The TT ones will be used in the fiddle yard so no issue regarding there larger size.

So finally a bit of track laying might actually take place this month.

• Like 2

My supply of copper clad sleepers finally arrived. N scale strip and TT single sleepers. The TT ones were a replacement as Marcway Models had no N gauge ones and said the price is likely to double when they do get some! The TT ones will be used in the fiddle yard so no issue regarding there larger size.

So finally a bit of track laying might actually take place this month.

If you need more copper clad sleepers in the future, may I suggest you join the 2mm Scale Association. They still have a supply of ready cut sleepers, although at the moment only the pre group 9'0" sleepers are in stock. However, in 1/148 scale should scale out at about the 8'6" they should be! And they're a very reasonable £5.00 for 500!

I really like what you've done with your road vehicles. I'm hoping Oxford will shrink some of their 70s and 80s 1/76 scale lorries soon! A few shrunken Scania 1 series and DAF 3300s would go down well! But I'd really like to see some Volvo F88s either as kits or ready to plonk!

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip regarding the sleepers David. I'm a member of the NGS but not the 2mm association. I agree regarding the Oxford lorries. Ford D series and the Atkinson and Seddon cabs would all be a useful start.

• RMweb Premium

OK time to get some photos displayed

First up is my ICI ferry tank...Roco body plus extra pipes and bits plus PECO 45t tank chassis. Currently in grey awaiting some blue paint!gallery_681_3216_141744.jpg

gallery_681_3216_66272.jpg

And can be glimpsed on the Ipad....playing Broken by Unkle....theme to the second X Files film.

Finished carflats no 16-19

gallery_681_2084_40646.jpeg

gallery_681_2655_82223.jpg

gallery_681_2655_233.jpg

gallery_681_2655_65010.jpg

TT sized sleepers for the fiddle yard baseboard joints

gallery_681_3476_151347.jpg

Now there has been a lot of talk about colour ( wrong livery colours ) and colour perception

I think everyone agrees that the GF buses apart from being the wrong scale have some livery issues especially the NBC dual purpose ones

Here are two spray cans and the DP Bristol RELL

gallery_681_2306_18434.jpg

I'm not suggesting either of these cans is correct but they are a lot closer than the model which also has a cream upper body when it should be white. I've already taken the leaf green to another vehicle.....( to be revealed later )..... now then does anyone know a source of NBC fleetnames in 2mm?

And finally my PG Models / BT Models / Scratchbuilt Bedford TK lorry......

gallery_681_2306_13621.jpg

I'll be producing some decals for a well known Knightsbridge store for this. I guess this really should have a translucent roof?

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After having sat at the sorting office for 10 days rather than be re-delivered on the two occasions they were asked........remind me never to buy a Mk1 RB to convert to a carflat. All the other Mk1 vehicles have battery boxes etc that are separate fittings. The RB has this all moulded as part of the chassis. Out with the saw then!

Edited by acg5324