acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I ordered some materials to continue laying out the scenic areas on Olympia.

Firstly some 10mm foam board for the majority of the front of the layout as nearly everything is at road level... 5 sheets of A1 foam board.....it's a big box.....yes A1 sized funnily. These arrived at lunchtime today.

The other item was some 1.5mm grey board. This will be used to edge the foam board and have the platform faced mounted on it. The 10 sheets of A4 board arrived this morning.

So excellent service from the Foam board store http://www.foamboard-store.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?pdtid=14754930

and eBay seller protectafilegogreen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well Traction magazine issue 236 is out with some thoughts and pictures of the process in building Kensington Olympia...as good a reason the buy the magazine as any! There will be further articles to follow.

This week I've made a start on the two additional Newton Chambers Mk1 car carriers from Etched Pixels.....missing top hat bearings mean I can only complete one at present.

I've also started to re assemble the class 24 to class 25/0 conversion that I started ages ago. This will be a Scottish example that's escaped to West London for a bit. 47459/47489 has had a chip fitted and tested.....second DCC loco now. Whilst on the workbench it has also started to get the weathering treatment.

Finally I've renumbered my first Dapol Crompton from 33030 to 33055....some weathering to follow on that too.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few photos of the weathered locos

25011, convert from GF class 24 using the etched pixels kit.

gallery_681_3383_53346.jpg

gallery_681_3383_369313.jpg

gallery_681_3383_590062.jpg

Class 47459 / 47489

gallery_681_3383_411736.jpggallery_681_3383_214556.jpg

gallery_681_3383_109573.jpg

I seem to have uploaded a larger file than usual so they may display a bit oddly....amd looks like 47489 needs it numbers re-doing!

In addition this is progress so far with the Etched Pixels Newton Chambers Mk1 car carriers....the first was finished some time back and this is the second one, there is a third but missing top hat wheel bearings mean I cant solder the 

bogies up yet.

gallery_681_2084_174524.jpg

gallery_681_2084_5003.jpg

gallery_681_2084_34451.jpg

And finally a couple or three from my recent holiday in Canada.....as the locals said a lot Arrrsum (Awesome)

p564487918-5.jpg

Westbound 130cars + grain train, Morants curve near Lake Louise AB

p936464650-5.jpg

Same train

p633927615-5.jpg

Westbound manifest at Lake Louise station......had a nice meal there too.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Just had a brilliant weekend away with my Brother in law at the Mid Norfolk Railway on a driver experience course. Both of us have had over 37 years with BR etc whilst we've had few cab rides over the years have never driven a train.

Our traction for the weekend was 47596 in NSE livery. I took my Sussex Scot headboard with me........this loco worked the Sussex Scot in Jan 1988 I later found out.

Anyway some pics....

.gallery_681_3476_19553.jpg

Brother in law Neil Cole on the left, me on the right at Wymondham Abbey. 47596 plus 6 Mk2's

gallery_681_3476_157244.jpg

Without us!

gallery_681_3476_125558.jpg

Arriving back at Dereham, me driving....wives waiting......our Ford Kuga needs a wash now covered in mud! Debbie + car + mud a dirty outcome.

gallery_681_3476_197028.jpg

Creeping up to end of the platform, red signal and closed level crossing gates in front.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I haven't got much done this week but did get the time to renumber and weather my quartet of 'rats'. I'll get some pics posted later but we have in ascending order 25011, 25051, 25069 and 25245.

I've also finished decaling and weathering the two completed Transfesa ferry vans, very pleased with them....third one awaiting parts which are on order.

Just had an email to say that the Rail blue Dapol 33/1 is in the post.....nice.

• RMweb Gold

Just had a brilliant weekend away with my Brother in law at the Mid Norfolk Railway on a driver experience course. Both of us have had over 37 years with BR etc whilst we've had few cab rides over the years have never driven a train.

Our traction for the weekend was 47596 in NSE livery. I took my Sussex Scot headboard with me........this loco worked the Sussex Scot in Jan 1988 I later found out.

Anyway some pics....

.gallery_681_3476_19553.jpg

Brother in law Neil Cole on the left, me on the right at Wymondham Abbey. 47596 plus 6 Mk2's

gallery_681_3476_157244.jpg

Without us!

gallery_681_3476_125558.jpg

Arriving back at Dereham, me driving....wives waiting......our Ford Kuga needs a wash now covered in mud! Debbie + car + mud a dirty outcome.

gallery_681_3476_197028.jpg

Creeping up to end of the platform, red signal and closed level crossing gates in front.

Loving these pictures and I've been lucky enough to have been in the driving seat of this loco (I'm nothing to do with the Railway) which for someone who's favourite loco is a 47 was a remarkable experience. I bet you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Yes Mike it was a great day. We've 'cabbed' a few class 47s over the years mainly Reading to Brighton on the Sussex Scot but this was a first drive for us both. Not a cheap day by any means but one to remember for ever.

• RMweb Premium

Well the postman has had a busy week here.

Parcel from Kingsway models with six sets of Georgian townhouse kits, these will be Russell road frontage.

Parcel from the NGS with my Thompson BG in Rail blue.......you just cannot have too many parcels vehicles.

Parcel from Rails with my Rail blue 33/1....on order since 1968!

Parcel from Hattons with 5 DCC chips and two sets of LH curved points......I'll gotten gains from selling on eBay.

The chips will be for my class 25s and one more class 47. Means I can try consisting the c25s for double heading.....or is possible to give each pair the same address?

• RMweb Premium

Well the postman has had a busy week here.

Parcel from Kingsway models with six sets of Georgian townhouse kits, these will be Russell road frontage.

Parcel from the NGS with my Thompson BG in Rail blue.......you just cannot have too many parcels vehicles.

Parcel from Rails with my Rail blue 33/1....on order since 1968!

Parcel from Hattons with 5 DCC chips and two sets of LH curved points......I'll gotten gains from selling on eBay.

The chips will be for my class 25s and one more class 47. Means I can try consisting the c25s for double heading.....or is possible to give each pair the same address?

Hi

Yes it's possible to give the two locos the same address.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

This weeks deliveries

gallery_681_3476_168493.jpg

These will chip all four class 25s and one more of my class 47s

The points will allow the RH end of the fiddle yard to be started.

gallery_681_3476_69147.jpg

Six sets of Georgian town houses from Kingsway Models super speedy delivery. These will be Russell Road that runs alongside the east side of Olympia. I will be changing door colours and some other mods to the building.

Now a bit of a loco fest

gallery_681_3383_115329.jpg

gallery_681_3383_124220.jpg

gallery_681_3383_170489.jpg

gallery_681_3383_52548.jpg

gallery_681_3383_98652.jpg

gallery_681_3383_119508.jpg

33055 and 33102.......with the MU recepts painted yellow as they should be.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks James.....and here we are making a start on Russell Road W14. There is nearly 2 metres of Georgian town houses to build and I'm B%&***)£d if I'm going to scratchbuild that lot.......so Kingsway Models to the rescue.

This is the first two blocks under construction, I've changed doors and some roofs and altered the chimney arrangements on some. One house is getting an extra floor. This block of two kits will take Russell Road up to Fairfax Place. The next three blocks will get me as far as Holland Gardens.

gallery_681_3268_94279.jpg

gallery_681_3268_4958.jpg

gallery_681_3268_163831.jpg

Since taking these photos the porches have been added to the LH block and the two blocks glued together and given a good spray of Dulcote to protect the ink for weathering.........a good stand in but not as good as these

I've found a website that allows you to produce your own London street names for free and download them as a PDF I'm sure I've taken photos of some of the street signs around Olympia as well...just need to find them!!!!

To make the buildings a little less flat I will add some of the moulded relief and drainpipes, railings and aerials etc.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James.....and here we are making a start on Russell Road W14.  There is nearly 2m of Georgian town houses to build and I'm B%&***)£d if I'm going to scratchbuild that lot.......so Kingsway Models to the rescue.

This is the first two blocks under construction, I've changed doors and some roofs and altered to chimney arrangememts. One house is getting an extra floor. This block of two kits will take Russell Road up to Fairfax Place. The next three blocks will get me as far as Holland Gardens.

gallery_681_3268_94279.jpg

gallery_681_3268_4958.jpg

gallery_681_3268_163831.jpg

Since taking these photos the porches have been added to the LH block and the two blocks glued together and given a good spray of Dulcote to protect the ink for weathering.........a good stand in but not as good as these 

I've found a website that allows you to produce your own London street names for free and download them as a PDF I'm sure I've taken photos of some of the street signs around Olympia as well...just need to find them!!!!

To make the buildings a little less flat I will add some of the moulded relief and drainpipes, railings and aerials etc.

I like the look of those kits. If you can be bothered, giving them a bit of extra detail such as extra lintel thickness over the windows, will make a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Five sets of the town houses are now nearly completed, chimneys etc to finish off.

The house with the extra top floor will get some extra attention using some of the Noch figures.....you know the ones! The roof has been removed for the photos. Furniture etc to be added......the decorators are still in.

gallery_681_3268_75540.jpg

Street signs are very small but still oversize so that they are legible...Point 1 and Point 4 sizes

gallery_681_3268_109817.jpg

And the two blocks so far................

gallery_681_3268_16450.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Do you know where I might be able to get that wallpaper?

On line only! Think B and Q would have kittens selling that....oh no...that's a different sort of wallpaper.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Five sets of the town houses are now nearly completed, chimneys etc to finish off.

The house with the extra top floor will get some extra attention using some of the Noch figures.....you know the ones! The roof has been removed for the photos. Furniture etc to be added......the decorators are still in.

gallery_681_3268_75540.jpg

Street signs are very small but still oversize so that they are legible...Point 1 and Point 4 sizes

gallery_681_3268_109817.jpg

And the two blocks so far................

gallery_681_3268_16450.jpg

Nice work Andy.

Do Viessmann make their animated figures in N scale?