Fantastic 1960s green and blue era videos

Great stuff, Phil. I particularly like the shots of the Pompey units. And the 4TCs in their original overall blue bring back some memories. Many thanks for posting.

Yes, a few of the second batch in the 6000 number group were allocated to Wimbledon and were difficult to see (or photograph). Maybe they worked local shuttle services during the daytime which did not involve passing my favourite haunt of Clapham Junction, or maybe (like many of their Ramsgate allocated siblings) they were parked in sidings for much of the day, only to appear as rush hour strengtheners in the early mornings and late afternoons.

Interesting! My first visit to Clapham Jc was in March 1965 and I didn't see one diesel of SR origin. Lots of emus and some steam and diesels from LMR and ER but no SR diesels at all.

I went to Clapham last year after a gap of tens of years and there is a lot more lineside 'furniture' around nowadays.

Regards

hope phil doesn't mind me adding this video to his thread - more transition-era livery loveliness:

http://vimeo.com/29262675

something for everyone, i think!

Yep...Lewisham Bill's films, of this very Parish. A great collection http://vimeo.com/70579820 ,   with nostalgic background sound track.

Beats me why he hasn't plugged them on here, previously.

Cheers Keefer.

Nice shot of the old EMI Records factory at Hayes. Plus shots of Romford area (Harold Wood, I think). Cheers, Pete

And of the old gas works at Hayes/ Southall.

Not a trace of all that stee work / pipework now remains - its a giant purple car park!.

MG

Came across this fantastic you tube video

Well worth looking through all the videos from this poster if the 1960s floats your boat

Phil

This is awesome stuff, many thanks for that. A few years early for me to remember (I was born in 1964), but since my father passed away in 2012 (he was a driver at Redhill), I have been "suffering" serious nostalgia. Brilliant, I love this.

Thanks.

John

In one of those excellent videos, there is a sequence where a 33 is attached to a 4-REP, and I have taken a screen grab which shows the subtle variation between the shades of blue on the Crompton and the EMU.post-4474-0-15634800-1379958321_thumb.jpg

I hope that the original cameraman has no objections to this, but I can remove it if required. I have been advised on certain discussion groups that the two shades were the same, but this seems to disprove that idea.

I was about to post that blue is a notoriously non-stable colour and changed/faded quite badly. However, when I looked at your post it looks as if both are quite clean and new, and therefore I tend to agree that the shade is slightly different. Only slightly though.

Yes, the difference is very subtle and our eyes may be influenced by the yellow surrounding the blue on the 33.

I know this is an argument which has raged ever since the idea of Chromatic Blue was put forward decades ago, but it is rare to see two shades in close proximity - which is the only reason I posted the photo.

In one of those excellent videos, there is a sequence where a 33 is attached to a 4-REP, and I have taken a screen grab which shows the subtle variation between the shades of blue on the Crompton and the EMU.attachicon.gif33_and_4-vep.jpg

I hope that the original cameraman has no objections to this, but I can remove it if required. I have been advised on certain discussion groups that the two shades were the same, but this seems to disprove that idea.

Which video? I've watched the SR diesels and electrics one but don't see the scene you mentioned.

Sorry about that. I may have wandered away from the original clip mentioned, by the time I discovered the 33 and 4-REP and then forgot which one it was on.

Senior moments seem to happen more and more :scratchhead:

You can find it at about 02:20 on

The colours look the same to me ... but I'm told I have a problem with slight green colour blindness. But I'm not sure you can prove/disprove anything using a single half-century old film.

I wonder if I'm looking at the same image as everyone, when John says they are both quite clean and new - the cl.33 is quite clearly dirty in the screenshot.

• RMweb Premium

i think it depended on what kind of finish there was (often depending on where it was done)

a lot of the early blue was done using the then-new airless spraying and had a slightly matt finish, making it appear slightly lighter and 'flat'

IIRC the more traditionally painted finish was the same blue but had a 'richer' hue

Archived