Thanks to Jason , Tim , Derick and co I am making a new layout I am having a go at building my own points and using smp code 75 track ( a first for me ) the layout is not based on a location but it will be set around the area I live / work in lancashire I have made a start and pics of it will be following soon

The layout is about 16 feet by 16 inch wide any advice/ help will be helpful

• Like 1

Well done a lot more today all track is now laid ready for the droppers with a big help from Lisa bringing me nice cups of coffee more pics will follow soon

The buffer stops are from lanarkshire model supplies they are about £ 5-6 I can't remember they are really good for the money

• RMweb Premium

Looking very nice mate, your turnouts look very good indeed.

Only problem with Seep is that the throw of them is a bit harsh for PCB turnouts. Tortoise and the like are a lot more but they are worth it. I have a few Fulgurex knocking around that I could punt your way for sod all, if you're interested?

• Like 2

I think my next job is to sort out all the tracks and make sure that they are all smooth then the fun will start I have decided to have the houses raised up from track level with anothe embankment on the other side gradually going to track level the goods yard will be next along with the coal bunkers

The layout will be semaphore signalled and the little dolls will work to I am working on the signals tonight pics will come soon

Well I have been busy tonight building my own signals this is the first one. I have made it out of brass tube and I have a load of ratio signal arms so this is my attempt at scratch building a signal post next I will try and make the ratio dollies ( ground position signals ) work I have thought of a way but now see if I can put it to the test

But here is the first signal

post-12366-0-85175800-1381364160_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This is how I built them get some brass tube ,rod and solder the tube to the rod to make the post then use small tubing one that a pin can go though and solder that on with the base then use the same size of tubbing as the bottom of the post and solder that on the side to act as a light then build the lever and there is the peg here are some more pics and another peg (and a brew to lol )

post-12366-0-84161800-1381365804_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-54216600-1381365816_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-53196200-1381365831_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-18230300-1381365846_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Wow some top track work there and you seem to be speeding a long with the progress.

As Sandside pointed out ild be inclined to go for a better type of point motor to match the excellent standard of points you have built, plus the added bonus of the realistic slow action of a Tortoise or similar and built in switch for the frog.