How do i go wireless?

I knew it would be expensive.......I took my father and son to the Manchester Model Railway show and saw a chap on the MERG stand using an ipod to control a layout. I knew about the possibilities of doing this before but my son had a go and found it very intuitive, and my dad was interested too.

So I'm wondering how easy it would be to do the same on my set up.

I have an nce power cab and Hornby elite, plenty of android phones in the family, and the necessary wifi and computer kit. I've got a copy of railmaster somehwere too.

I can't remember what the chap on the layout was running, but it was free anyway.

I just want to make trains go and stop, and maybe operate points and routes, but thats the limit to my automation ambitions.

All suggestions are welcome,....the cheaper the better !

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

There many ways to go wireless and some systems now offer wireless throttles, but these tend to be expensive.

The disadvantage to the JMRI or Railmaster option is that you have to have a computer connected to your layout. The advantages are that JMRI is free, but you will have to pay for the full version of WiThrottle but I think it is about £5.

The alternative which I use is TouchCab which is an iPhone/iPod Touch App that works with either the ESU ECoS or a LENZ system, and it only requires that the command station is connected to a wireless router to which TouchCab can connect, so no need for a computer. The downside is that both these systems are at the high end price level of DCC contollers. I use TouchCab all the time to control the layout at exhibitions, and it will control all the locos, points, signals and other accesories and is so easy to use even for the non techy.

If you want to see TouchCab in action I will be using it on my layout 'Rederring' at our LYDCC show at the Bacup Hub on 2nd/3rd November. If you come along you are welcome to give it try.

Like Suzie, I favour the "try it for free" approach.

Hardware:

Hornby Elite, USB Lead, Computer.  

Software:

Computer requires JMRI (free).  Android phones require Engine Driver (free).

If the NCE PowerCab also has the optional NCE USB adaptor, then that could also be connected for free. 

In terms of loco driving, not much between the Elite and the PowerCab when driven from a phone.   There are technical issues which are more likely to trip up the Elite, particularly throwing turnouts/signals from computers, but just driving locos there is little to choose.

The TouchCab option mentioned is fine. BUT, its going to cost the original purchaser a lot of money from where he's starting. 

For a start, it requires throwing out the Android phones and getting Apple ones (£howmuch??).   

Then it requires either a Lenz system with computer interface (doubt there is change from £400 for that), or an ESU ECoS (even more expensive). 

Both the Lenz and the ESU are good control systems, but its not a cheap option given what already exists.  

As for a £100+ Lenz interface working with an Elite, it might, but if it doesn't there is no support and no rights for refund (and it still needs the Apple phones..).

- Nigel  ( I do use an Apple device as a wireless controller  )

Hi

MattWallace documented using MERG DCC kits in his previous layout. He kindly copied the relevent links for me:

http://www.rmweb.co....e-2#entry818579

http://www.rmweb.co....e-3#entry838191

http://www.rmweb.co....e-3#entry842852

http://www.rmweb.co....e-3#entry885539

http://www.rmweb.co....e-4#entry897632

Once I have my layout up & running this is something I might look into.

All the best

• RMweb Gold

As I mentioned the ECoS/Lenz options are not cheap.

The ECoS is currently £508.47 at Digitrains but when you consider you get two controllers built in, a full colour display with an option to input a track plan. The software is upgradable so it is never out of date. It includes a computer interface so all you need is a cheap wireless router and I got a small (3' x 3") router from Maplins for £20.

The Lenz Set 100 is £293.05 plus £124.21 for the USB/Ethernet port so a total of £417.26 so about £90 chaper than the ECoS option but you get a whole lot more for the extra £90.

I have and Elite so I will give it a try but I have a feeling when I talked to Jens about TouchCab and the Elite he said it wasn't that easy to connect to it

So, in summary for the OP, and bearing in mind his list of current devices:

There is a free options to achieve smartphone control of a layout with the hardware already owned, just add some free software. 
And a very cheap one if you just need to add the £30-ish NCE computer interface, again with the same free software.  

If a separate computer is needed for the above, it has to be added to the price, but to try-out, most people reading this forum are likely to have a computer.

Or there are Apple device options using Touchcab, where the starting price is at a about £675 (Lenz system £290 + Power Supply £60 (which Peter forgot) + Lenz computer interface £125 + cheapest Apple iPod Touch £200).  Or  about £705 for the advanced ESU system and an iPod Touch.

It seems obvious to me to try the free one before spending lots of money !

And for model railway control via touch devices, not withstanding the nice Touchcab software, I'd go Android today.  Tescos will sell you a very capable tablet computer for £120 cash, or £60 if you've a stack of Club-card points to redeem.  This is a bargain compared to buying Apple kit. 

There are a number of options in between the £free-from-where-you-are-starting and £600+++ systems which use smart phones or tablets as the user interface.  Hornby's Railmaster (if you can live with its appearance and limited capabilities) and the Roco Z21 are two which come to mind.  The Z21 has software for running on Android devices. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

cheapest Apple iPod Touch £200

I have seen used iPods from the various trade in shops on the high street from about £75 upwards which would be adquate for TouchCab, though I would recommend a minimum of a fourth generation for future compatability.

• RMweb Premium

Having been told by a couple of young teens that there must be a more exciting driving interface for my Lenz kit than the standard handset, this thread is very timely. The thought that with the wifi offering complete coverage of the garden this might enable some outdoor wireless control capability is .. interesting.

Hi

I have been using Touchcab with my Lenz system for the last eighteen months and don't use the Lenz throttle except to make quick programming changes.

I went this route after trying Withrottle as I didn't want to boot a computer just to run the layout.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

The answer to your question is in some ways the same as the answer to 'What DCC system shall i buy?' and that is whatever feels most comfortable to use and of course what is in your budget. The new Hornby system is cheap and only requires a phone to get started. Of course everyone will have their favourites and extol the virtues of that system. 

My experience was to jump in using the Roco Z21 which is by no means cheap but is a fantastic system, I used it with my exhibition layout for the first time the other week and it performed faultlessly. It does require a phone/tablet but will also run off a Roco Multimaus, I mention this last point because at the exhibition I had my IPad and iPhone, one charging whilst the other was being used, it was not a problem but it was an extra thing to think about so I will be adding a Multimaus as back up or for a change to conventional DCC control occasionally.

If you can get along to one of the big exhibitions a lot of the manufacturers of DCC systems will have their wares for you to sample, it is a good way to get the initial feel of a system, pick up the handouts, disregard the hype, and make a shortlist.

Folks. Round at grandads house. Weve got three setrack ovals, a laptop, elite,jmri fired up, my galaxy note phone and an asus tablet.all hooked up through his WiFi connection.

It works ! Extra outlay nil, fun factor upped exponentially, and the interface is miles better than the elites offering.

Its a touch laggy and fell over when 20 month old daughter touched the laptop.....but im very pleased.

Sincere thanks to all.

And, for your next trick....

Within JMRI, add your locos to the "roster", with sensible names.  You then select by name on the phone/tablet.    Then, populate the function names for each entry in the Roster (select the loco, then a small button adjacent to the program one).   Then on your phone/tablet the function keys are labelled with the terms you want, such as "horn", "front light", etc..

"Laggy" may be the laptop, or it may be the domestic WiFi system.  Often hard to diagnose the exact causes. 

- Nigel

Sensible names. ...that's easy. Thomas, Henry, Edward, Percy. .......

I shall follow your advice Nigel and populate the roster. Functions only stretch to lights so nothing too hard.

I'm well impressed. I especially liked the time when we both selected the same loco. Son increased throttle and I decreased it.....the speed indicTion slid up on my phone unbidden and down on his.

I think there is an old netbook knocking about so I may dust I off. Thank again - I love a crafty thing like thks especially a free one.

If it's just a computer for JMRI,  then it's probably worth trying to run Linux on it rather than Windows.  Sometimes the Windows network stack can be a lot slower than Linux.   I'd be trying Linux Mint as the distribution; easy to install, not too complex to configure. 

JMRI will run on Linux, MacOS and Windows. 

• 8 months later...

Another option, which I have. I have an old f/mann twin centre. It's connected to my computer which runs windigipet. This controls my locos and has a full track diagram. The latest update now has a wireless connection. I have downloaded the app to both my i-pad and a I phone. I can now control my layout, inc points/sigs etc from these.  All I use the old twin centre for these days is loco and accessory programming. The rest is all done on the computer.  total cost is quite high, but its all been added too over the years, so was not a major spend all in one go, plus of course the phone and pad were bought for and also used for other things. The software control aspect was a bonus.

So:

Twin centre. Bought about 7 years ago in a start set

Computer: Cheap desktop from e-buyer.

Windigipet: About £280 Bought just under two years ago.

All good fun.

• 2 weeks later...

As I already had a laptop and used JMRI (Decoder Pro) to program my loco's I got hold of a old Sky Hub and installed that in the railway room, downloaded Engine Driver onto my Samsung S3 mini and my Android tablet for free, and although I didn't need to, I brought a new SPROG3,and after a short learning curve I can run all my loco's from the mobile or tablet and the level of control is fantastic, I've demonstrated it at my club and was able to control a Class 66 from more than 20 feet away. for me it's the way forward, no more cables :-)

Pete 

• 6 months later...

Archived