Tackeroo - The Cannock Chase Military Railway project

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

We had a mixed weekend  Serious PW issiues with a point on the middle board.  The compensated locomotives managed but wagons (even sprung) could not handle the Blackpool roller coaster ride.   An easy fix, that turnout will be relayed.  

We had a few other issues as insulation gaps closed but I don't think the punter will have noticed.

This is the firt real show we have attended and I have a significant snagging list.

Looking forward to the next outing

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I made a start last night. Not easy to put the boards up in the week so turned my attention to stock. Working on some open wagons,some sheeted as this was the most common wagon type in this period. Andy

Hopefully a nice North Eastern one among them?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since EXPO EM Autumn I have been working on Tackeroos wagon stock. The wagons were not the priority, making it work was!

Realising that most of the camps supplies (other than coal) would be a mixture of food, materials and munitions we need more open wagons with sheets (tarps).

Researching tarpaulins I realised that our chosen period of Autumn 1917 turns out to be a great but narrow period for wagon sheets.

In January 1917 company sheeting fell under the common user agreement. This means that I can put any companies sheet on any company wagon. Once this agreement was in place railway companies simplified the designs they painted on the sheets (why try two hard when they may not be on your wagon or on your own metals...).

So from 1917 for a period of probably 4 years you have the ability to add any sheet to any wagon and still use those sheets with Red or Yellow lines which would have been painted out when the sheet was next in for maintenance.

Anyway:

I have had a go making my own:

Black paper from hobby craft

A white pen, this one was a Gelly Roll 08

Excel spreadsheet and my own ink jet printer

So I created the design in Excel using the rows and columns to get the proportions correct (In fact I have made the first one too narrow).

Adding and moving letters with text boxes and the nearest font I could find, also adding some big fat lines

Then print at a very low % of its real size (trial and error) on to white paper until the size was right.

Put in the Black paper and print.

The colour ink I could see best on the Black paper was surprisingly Black.

Then armed with magnifier, light, my glasses and the white pen I went over the Black printed letters.

I've added the sheets number by hand and painted the red lines with paint.

post-8894-0-46303000-1507452609_thumb.jpg

Reasonably happy for a first attempt, just need to research some designs

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You could use white paper and print the black tarp & red lines, leaving the lettering white / unprinted.

You could also then vary the colour of the tarp, to include fold marks, dirty patches and fading.

• RMweb Premium

You could use white paper and print the black tarp & red lines, leaving the lettering white / unprinted.

You could also then vary the colour of the tarp, to include fold marks, dirty patches and fading.

I agree, you still have to address that white edge and any loss to the printed surface (cracks or wear) will reveal that white paper underneath. I will probably have a go.

Andy

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Out at Apedale today for tracks to the trenches.   Not with Tackeroo, in the end they couldn't fit us in.

Happy to be there as a punter and probably going back on Sunday.

Fantastic weather until the rain came at chucking out time.ew shots, you see all sorts.....

post-8894-0-71703800-1531507623.jpg

post-8894-0-87900100-1531507665.jpg

post-8894-0-88935900-1531507690.jpg

post-8894-0-80774900-1531507720.jpg

post-8894-0-94415400-1531507841.jpgpost-8894-0-75029500-1531507857.jpgpost-8894-0-98000000-1531507881.jpg

post-8894-0-10128400-1531507820.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was very pleased to see on the pre-grouping waggons thread a post by wagonbasher Andy saying that Tackeroo may be at the Stafford show in September. I only saw it in Gnosall and it wasn't working very well at the time so am very keen to see the Andy squared layout up and running!

Go for it lads!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2023 at 00:22, Anotheran said:

I was very pleased to see on the pre-grouping waggons thread a post by wagonbasher Andy saying that Tackeroo may be at the Stafford show in September. I only saw it in Gnosall and it wasn't working very well at the time so am very keen to see the Andy squared layout up and running!

Go for it lads!

Your very kind with your choice of words, the fact is that at Gnosall nothing ran at all….   The trip to the EM Gauge society show was better but not by much.  Making plans and snagging list and it will be good for Stafford.  

Nothing has happened since 2017.

You can’t rush these things 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4