Tackeroo - The Cannock Chase Military Railway project

Andy Y

Although the external tones are not final at this stage they will be different to the inside as the timber treatment and weather effects will be different.

I was happy with the variety of tones but they were a touch on the dark side due to the darkness of the MDF compared to the white card inside.

A simple dry-brushing with an off-white and taking most of any pronounced marks off again with the glass fibre pen has knocked the tones back satisfactorily and added subtle varieties into each board; hopefully as this half and half shot shows.

Wood_weathering_s.jpg

• Like 4

It made sense to finish off the gable end wall inside and out before I can move on to putting all the trusses in. Vent grille and framing added plus door sills, doors, windows and glazing.

Gable_End_ext_s.jpg

Gable_End_int_s.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

It made sense to finish off the gable end wall inside and out before I can move on to putting all the trusses in. Vent grille and framing added plus door sills, doors, windows and glazing.

attachicon.gifGable_End_ext_s.jpg

attachicon.gifGable_End_int_s.jpg

Lovely work Andy and the interior is well worth the effort. Large windows and the odd open door will mean it can be glimpsed.

Jerry

After discovering Letraset disappeared some time ago and that Fox transfers were too large and watersliding all the individual letters would have been a PITA I sent a custom job to Railtec transfers. An all in one waterslide and I'm very pleased with the quality.

Traffic_office_3.jpg

Do you have photos of this building? I wonder if the Gill Sans font isn't a bit modern for 1915. I associate it more with Art Deco / 1930-1950.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if the wheel fret on this page is any good half way down there are some 3mm wheels. :biggrin_mini2:

w.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scale_1_152_160__N____Echelle_1_160__N_.html

Do you have photos of this building? I wonder if the Gill Sans font isn't a bit modern for 1915. I associate it more with Art Deco / 1930-1950.

Gill was the closest match I had on the PC to the photo, apart from the weight the only real difference was the 'R'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit late now but by Letraset I assume you mean dry transfer lettering, which is still going strong. For instance, if you put that into the ebay search function there are loads of options.

Bit late now but by Letraset I assume you mean dry transfer lettering, which is still going strong. For instance, if you put that into the ebay search function there are loads of options.

I did try but no-one seemed to have piddly sizes in white and a reasonable typeface but I hadn't noticed the Woodland Scenics ones when I searched; they look quite useful.

• RMweb Premium

Just found this photo, no idea where it is but it seems appropriate for your layout, its the correct period.

attachicon.gifWar Dept unidentified..jpg

What a fantastic shot

Later today I will post a list the WD camps with railways (in 1916 the ROD had taken control of the Camp railways.)

As Andy says no 0-4-0's on the chase but the best bit of detail here is the tank side writing on the left hand locomotive. W.D. No' 60.

We know the Avonside was number 92 but have no pictures. The Longmoor locos don't carry numbers and are more likely to carry names.

This would justify tank side writing

Very good, thank you

Note the WW1 period engine crews do not wear the 'puttees' around their calves in the way the regular army do, this can be seen on the new photo and on the model

Andy

Interesting to note that the Manning Wardle is vacuum fitted for passenger trains? The loco on the right has a little bit of a Nasmyth Wilson or perhaps Neilson about it but can't identify the builder with any certainty.

• RMweb Premium

The 0-4-0 is a mystery other than it is clearly WD No. 60. We know that there were no 4 wheel locos on the chase.

The Manning Wardle by the little hut / power plant in the back ground is L Class Grassholme. 1513 / 1901.

You can track down bits of its history on the internet. It doesn't appeared to have stayed too long with the military.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

What a fantastic shot

Later today I will post a list the WD camps with railways (in 1916 the ROD had taken control of the Camp railways.)

As Andy says no 0-4-0's on the chase but the best bit of detail here is the tank side writing on the left hand locomotive. W.D. No' 60.

We know the Avonside was number 92 but have no pictures. The Longmoor locos don't carry numbers and are more likely to carry names.

This would justify tank side writing

Very good, thank you

Note the WW1 period engine crews do not wear the 'puttees' around their calves in the way the regular army do, this can be seen on the new photo and on the model

Andy

Later than I said but these are the military traing camp railways operating during ww1. The MOD took control of their operation from 1916.

Larkhill

Fovant

Codford

Sutton Veny

Catterick

Ripon

Cannock Chase

Clipstone

Grantham

Kinmel

Prees Heath

Oswestry

Catterick was the longest of the training camp systems at 21 miles (this remained in place after WW1. Cannock Chase was the second longest at just over 13 miles

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Old gringo met me last night at a little village hall to put Tackeroo up and give it a run.. We are at the expo 'up North' exhibition on the 9th and 10th and need to see what's still not working. At the Staffordshire Finescales Showcase in July it just didn't work at all. It was the first time the boards were joined up and we had a show to run so we just parked it as a diorama. Since then I have taken the boards off Andy temporarily as he has some work / life disractions and I have wired it through for DC working and the points are also now running off switches and Dc power. It's just a temporary arrangement and last night things were moving and turnouts were changing.

I've still come away with a list of jobs, nothing too major.

Looking forward to the show.

Andy

• Like 7