Not directly relevant, but the latest Modern Railways has an article suggesting that NR have struggled to find sufficiently qualified folk to complete the North West electrification, hopefully they can get up to speed before too much time is lost on the much bigger Great Western project!

Bit more on the cascades, this from the Dec Modern Railways, the article is focussed on Southern (soon to be the first part of TSGN, Thameslink/Southern/Great Northern, hopefully they can think of a better name...) but is relevant.

Southern are currently having 5 car 377/6 units delivered for suburban service (which will allow the 456s so cascade to South West Trains)

Riding on the back of that order and due in Spring 2014 are 8x 5 car 377/7 units (dual voltage versions, allowing a capacity jump on the West London Line) - they will free up 377/2 (4 car dual voltage) which will move to First Capital Connect, and those in turn will free up the first handful of 319s, ostensibly for the North West electrification.

The 377/6 and 377/7 are both based on the 379 shell (so separate windows not ribbon glazing, plus several other 379 features,) but have 377-compatible software.

Behind those at Bombardier, and due for delivery from October 2014 is an order for 29x 4 car 387 units, plus an option for a further 35 units. These will be again based on the 379 but will be 110mph, they will go to First Capital Connect in the short term and release the Thames 319s. The new class reflects both 110mph capability and more modern software, they should be compatible (for rescue or emergency use) with a 377, but not designed to be used together in everyday service.

By the Dec 2017 timetable there should be plenty of class 700 (Thameslink) units in service, that will have released the 319s to Thames, plus 377s, 387s, (plus North of the river it should be releasing GN 317 and 321 units) - there's a commitment for 25 of the FCC 377s to go to Southeastern (presumably to later become 375s) in Dec 2017 which will mean some of the 465s can come back to suburban duties.

Expect the 387s to be hotly pursued by lots of folk, they'd work well on the GWML, but you'd need to use the 319s in the interim first, i'd also see competition from Southern (cascade out the 442s and 313s) and maybe other places like Anglia...

Edited by Glorious NSE

Are yo sure you are not thinking of the 458 rebuild/upgrade?

XF

No, I think I was thinking of this Porterbrook brochure http://www.porterbrook.com/downloads/brochures/319%20Brochure.pdf, however I'm sure there were different visualizations, with minor and major redesigns

Edit: Ah, found it http://www.dg8design.com/319.html

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

That refers to WAML services, the more relevant article is this one - The Price of Oranges: DfT ask TfL to take on Greenford and Upminster

While the devolution of these two branches to TfL is a possibility, neither has been confirmed.

Chris

A worrying development by First in regards to the Bourne End and Marlow branch. I was in Maidenhead town centre today when I saw a brand new First bus on a Route 8 usually run by the warding winning independent Courtney Coaches. Having looked at the web I see that First buses are expanding again in Maidenhead with a 7 day a week "express" bus Route 9 between Maidenhead  and High Wycombe. First lost all but 2 of the tendered bus routes in Maidenhead and things have overall improved with since they departed!

First is investing in new buses rather than ex 7 Series airport service cast offs and doing "a Stagecoach" on route 8 by running in front of the Courtney No.8 with a " we give change" scrolling message displayed on the front - Courtney Coaches do not take cards and insist on exact fares!

The route this bus is taking is via St Marks Hospital and then the A404M to High Wycombe however if the service is successful it could make sense to run some buses via Marlow Station as it is not that far off the A404 but not the best roads, however if the railway line was removed!

I know I can be  a cynical :angel:  but however First has not bothered about this route for years whilst  Arriva runs a bus from High Wycombe to Maidenhead via Cookham and Carousel Buss run a bus service that links Bourne End Station to High Wycombe.

I hope I am wrong however the timing of these  changes does seen to fit in with what is occurring on the GWML and branches.

XF

this from the Dec Modern Railways, the article is focussed on Southern (soon to be the first part of TSGN, Thameslink/Southern/Great Northern, hopefully they can think of a better name...)

how about Network South East? that would work???? :jester:

No, I think I was thinking of this Porterbrook brochure http://www.porterbrook.com/downloads/brochures/319%20Brochure.pdf, however I'm sure there were different visualizations, with minor and major redesigns

Is the round end variant the same as the new tube train design shown recently?

Got to say i'm a little more sceptical that any units will get new cabs, but never say never...

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately i'd have to agree with that - i'm still waiting to see any modern UK train (except possibly HEX) where the travelling experience is aspirational. I know you're on a loser from the start trying to make commuters feel positive about the experience, but if a higher spec can be made to work anywhere then the Thames Valley should be it...

But would Thames Valley commuters be willing to pay more than those elsewhere? Why should their trains cost  25% or 33% more per seat to run and yet the fares not be far higher?

I would guess that (and it won't please some from Marlow and Henley) it will be all 2nd class Crossrail except for fast trains from Newbury/Oxford  to Paddingtonwhich will run with a sub-class of unit or even completely different units (so that they can use the fast lines). The all 2nd class trains will probably have a mix of 2+2 and 2+3 seating like some on the Southern.

• RMweb Gold

I rather like the flatter of those two designs. Blends well with the original sides.

But would Thames Valley commuters be willing to pay more than those elsewhere? Why should their trains cost  25% or 33% more per seat to run and yet the fares not be far higher?

I would guess that (and it won't please some from Marlow and Henley) it will be all 2nd class Crossrail except for fast trains from Newbury/Oxford  to Paddingtonwhich will run with a sub-class of unit or even completely different units (so that they can use the fast lines). The all 2nd class trains will probably have a mix of 2+2 and 2+3 seating like some on the Southern.

2+2 in standard class is in service on recently built stock on some routes, for example on at least some of Southern's 377s, SWT's class 444, and Anglia's 379s - I would have suggested that trains from as far out as Oxford or Newbury were at least as deserving of that kind of accomodation as those from Cambridge or Brighton.

I would agree that Crossrail is likely to be all standard class, and I wouldn't even bet against 378 style longditudinal seating in parts in deference to it's role as a part time tube train...

• RMweb Premium

The 3+2 seating in the Southern 377s are a classic case of a layout approved by someone who never has to travel on them. The seating is cramped and access through the carriage is nigh on impossible when the seats are full as most people overhang into the gangeway. The fact the new 377/6s are 2+2 throughout (as these are allocated to suburban services) suggests at least someone recognises the 3+2 pattern is poor for passenger comfort, and contributes to station dwell-time. 

• RMweb Gold

The 3+2 seating in the Southern 377s are a classic case of a layout approved by someone who never has to travel on them. The seating is cramped and access through the carriage is nigh on impossible when the seats are full as most people overhang into the gangeway. The fact the new 377/6s are 2+2 throughout (as these are allocated to suburban services) suggests at least someone recognises the 3+2 pattern is poor for passenger comfort, and contributes to station dwell-time. 

Laid out properly, one can get nearly as many seats in 2+2 as in 2+3. That is because it is easier for those sitting at the window seats to get out.

Seats on 377/6 still look a bit narrow though. Seems optimised to get more people standing.

• RMweb Gold

Many signs of progress heading westwards from Reading this week -

Part of the old footbridge at Tilehurst now removed

Quite a few of the tubular mast bases now 'sunk' west of Pangbourne although some seem awful close to Loading gauge limits on the Down side.

The materials stockplie at Moreton Cutting has grown noticeably with not just more of the base tubes but a lot more steelwork now on site

West of Didcot signs in many places of lineside foliage being/been cutback quite severely - only hope it is kept like that.

Signalling cable/location cupboard works noticeable all the way from west side of Didcot to Chippenham area with a second materials base at Wootton Bassett.

But no sign of the high output train at Swindon although teh base is complete and has been for weeks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've had several electrification related road closure notices at work in the last week for bridge reconstruction work in Wiltshire.

On the list so far are School Hill, Brinkworth (South Wales Line), B4069 Daunstey Lock and Noton Lane just west of Thingley Junction (Main Line) all starting in March 2014.  

Two of these will be "fun" as they are essential links in my school transport network.

Quick dig into OTPNet suggets DR98001 / 6 / 7 (pre-existing, but refurbished/re-equipped wiring MPVs, now painted yellow not their original white) are now based in Swindon.

The new rake is in the country, currently testing at High Marnham (last seen there on the 2nd) - and due to move down early in the new year?

Last time I drove past (about a month back) DR98001 was around the back of the yard, visible from the road that goes past Tesco. At that point I think it was the only vehicle at Swindon, I don't know if the others have joined it since. I have since seen photos of it being shunted to the shed at the other side of the yard (by the main line) by a tamper

jo