WW2 Trackside pilboxs...

class"66"

Adam, not sure how Henry Tudor's invasion of England in 1485 affected Scotland, a separate country ? Duncan

The OP I was quoting mentioned 'Britain'. Wales wasn't part of 'England' either: not until the 1536 act of union and Henry Tudor landed in Pembrokeshire. Given that France had, by that time, been Scotland's ally since the 1320s, any French support of regime change in England affected Scotland too. These weren't that long-lived, understandably. All this is a long, long way from railways!

Adam

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Pete

I have never come across this definition of the terminology, I have always been of the understanding that British pillboxes were bunkers. The use of the term pillbox came from the first world war, the early German bunkers were round in shape and looked like "pillboxes" hence the troops giving them that as a name which has remained in use.

The Oxford Dictionary gives the following:

Bunker: A reinforced underground shelter, typically for use in wartime.

Pillbox: A small enclosed, partly underground, concrete fort used as an outpost.

Cheers,

Chris

They are abundant in the Bradford-on-Avon area, presumably reinforcing the natural or pre-existing defensive features of the deep valley, railway, river and canal.  One on the canal near Bradford lock has recently been dug out so it is possible to get inside. 

• RMweb Gold

There's a few in places alongside the West Somerset Rly between Blue Anchor and Minehead. The line is right on the coast there on a low embankment in places and the pill boxes are tucked away in the landward side of the railway.

Agreed. In fact the one on the beach at Blue Anchor us unique and easily accessible. Also fine example on the embankment on the station itself which was disguised as a signal box in wartime. Travel from Blue Anchor to Minehead and they are plentiful.

Rob

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived