After Reely Grate comes Primrose Hill

Mike

Hello Mike,

I'm reminded of Level Street in Brierley hill (it was anything but level and in fact is quite steep) two level crossings for Round Oak and a bridge across a canal (long since gone it went on through the Wallows, now an Ind Est)

Either would be good and only half a Gnats knacker away from Primrose Hill.

Cheers - Jim

I agree about Level Street - it was anything but level!! I live about a mile up the road, and one of my ancestors used to own the old 'Queens Head' in Level Street about 150 years ago (the building is still there).

I agree about Level Street - it was anything but level!! I live about a mile up the road, and one of my ancestors used to own the old 'Queens Head' in Level Street about 150 years ago (the building is still there).

Level Street - which as has been said is not level - got it's name because of what Jim referred to - the Level Crossings it had across it - at different heights to each other as well!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40092017@N07/3803343335/in/set-72157621855861805

Level Street - which as has been said is not level - got it's name because of what Jim referred to - the Level Crossings it had across it - at different heights to each other as well!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40092017@N07/3803343335/in/set-72157621855861805

It was actually called 'The Level' long before any railways ever came near it!! So the name is not from the level crossings.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been hunting for this thread for a while, don't know how I've missed it  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Looking forward to seeing it at Warley, it's a great looking layout

I've missed it as well, now we've both posted it should now show in 'my content'.

Definitely the way to go for me, Mike your layouts may be small in stature but they are full of character and interest.  They offer easier working on when building and at playtime too.

I'm considering chopping my 12 1/2footer down to 2 smaller ones which will allow me to complete one sooner and subsequently play sooner.  They also bring an added bonus in that should I want to exhibit that is easier to make happen too.

All in all, following Mike's ways makes any potential projects easier to manage and complete now that I'm in my 70's.  For me to make 2 small "micro" layouts of differing types would be most interesting and at least very achievable.

I'll probably finish my bigger build this time but my next layout will definitely follow Mike's concepts albeit not as exquisite in it's build.

Regards

Definitely the way to go for me, Mike your layouts may be small in stature but they are full of character and interest.  They offer easier working on when building and at playtime too.

I'm considering chopping my 12 1/2footer down to 2 smaller ones which will allow me to complete one sooner and subsequently play sooner.  They also bring an added bonus in that should I want to exhibit that is easier to make happen too.

All in all, following Mike's ways makes any potential projects easier to manage and complete now that I'm in my 70's.  For me to make 2 small "micro" layouts of differing types would be most interesting and at least very achievable.

I'll probably finish my bigger build this time but my next layout will definitely follow Mike's concepts albeit not as exquisite in it's build.

Regards

Why do I model micros?

There are infinite stories a model railway can tell, and micro layouts push the boundaries of the traditional railway themes. Some of the more traditional layout themes, like mainline stations, or modern container terminals would be impractical. However, the interesting part of micro layouts is that you can create small portions of large industries and use the micro layout as a small vignette to portray that specific industry. Space! No not the final frontier, but space in a modern home for an 0 gauge layout.

In my case the requirements are simple, it has to be small enough to store, be portable and if suitable, easy to transport by family car to exhibitions. It also has to fit into the 6x4 workshop/shed to get built in the first place.

Exhibiting allows me to indulge in another passion; talking. It’s often said that I can talk for England and most probably do.

OK, enough chit chat, on with building 0 gauge Micro Layouts.:D

Just spent a frustrating morning, playing trains when........ dead stop. :cry: It turned out to be a failed solder joint at the frog, thankfully now sorted. Tomorrow will be another day of testing (playing) to make sure that it all works for Warley. :D

post-185-0-75825500-1416325131.jpg

Over the weekend Primrose Hill will be at the NEC,Stand number B74 on the right hand side of hall 5 almost opposite the toilets. Maybe Warley are trying to tell me something? I'll either be flushed with success or down the proverbial pan or perhaps in lieu of something else!! :D

Well Primrose Hill worked well over the Warley Weekend, no need for soldering irons,hammers, pliers or other tools, I did need to use an uncoupling tool as I found one magnet to be in the wrong place some small modification required before its next outing, Kettering 0 Gauge Guild show 7th March 2015. Unfortunately a small amount of damage was sustained to the transhipment shed when loading to come home. So for the last couple of days repairs have been carried out and all is well. Perhaps not the place to say thanks to the Warley Club, but it was an absolutely great weekend and I am looking forward to exhibiting the extended version of Reely Grate-Muck Works-Primrose Hill at the Warley Show next year. I haven't decided on the layout name, but The Saltwells Branch seems to fit the bill. :D

post-185-0-82523300-1416996358.jpg

Hello Mike, you do so set the scene and enhance the layout with your background history facts.

It makes for a great read and viewing and is one of a select few layouts along with their owners who I take my inspiration from.

Keep up the great work.

Lovely stuff.

Regards

..... I will only be posting about the  layout on this thread, sad I know, but I'm not prepared to put up with snide remarks for a certain individual. :nono:

I'm sorry to hear you have encountered such a person, such should not happen on forums, but I am glad it has not put you off entirely, please keep posting as there are many who enjoy looking at your work. :declare:

Well this post is really as a result of people peering through the windows of the Lloyds building and seeing the fiddle yard. So after a bit of Web browsing I have found a photo of the interior of the factory. It did mean a screen shot upload to Dropbox and a bit of jigger-poker y, but we now have an interior as a view blocker, the photo having been split and swapped around to give two different views through the main doors and factory windows. :D

post-185-0-73310700-1417538946.jpg

photo before chopping about, I'll post a couple of photos when I can get into the workshop or as soon as I shake off this rather heavy cold. Oh, the joys of exhibiting and getting other peoples germs. ;)

Well smack with a wet kipper! Just had to glue the corner of the transhipment shed roof as it had lifted due to the wide variation in temperature in the work shop. Note to self; work without putting on the warm air heater, just rely on the soldering iron to keep my hands warm. :jester:

Archived