Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

Second the recommendation for Abe books.

Get most of my railway reference books from there at reasonable prices..

Best of all they will save your wants and email you when a copy surfaces.

BTW great thread Andrew. Don't stop :).

Thanks, have had many purchases through ABE Books over the years....

No danger of me stopping now! Whilst there might be a pause in layout building shortly with the impending house move, our house should be on the market by the end of the week, any pause will see my modelling time switch to locos and rolling stock until the layout is in its new home.

Cheers,

Andrew

Some particularly anti-socially hour shifts and jobs making a the house ready for the market meant there was no time or inclination for spiking track.

The weekend saw us joining my girlfriend's Mum in revisiting the site of her accident in May on the Montgomery Canal. No one fell in and it all went very well, walking two sections of the Monty saw three kingfishers in all, you can tell the canal is pretty quiet! After an excellent pub dinner in Maesbury, driving back to Tywyn (as it was about halfway, we'd gone to Tywyn and hitched a lift so we could drink rather than drive) involved a run through the Tanat Valley. Will have to return sometime to explore both the Tanat Valley and the Monty further.

post-11098-0-40348000-1438691433_thumb.jpg

Staying in Tywyn meant a bonus day volunteering on the Talyllyn, spent sun bathing at Brynglas as Blockman. Sat outside having lunch and a pair of Red Kites appeared overhead, hope they weren't hoping for anything! After my comments last week, have demonstrated just how well an Oakwood Press book fits into the TR Rules & Regs, plus the other Blocking essentials.

post-11098-0-53412700-1438692524_thumb.jpg

Back home and back to modelling. Pleased to report that the final bits of track have been spiked down, the last being the siding in front of the creamery. Was finding the spiking quite tedious by the end!

post-11098-0-82002200-1438692642_thumb.jpg

Time for the next challenge, the Electrickery.... First I need to work out what supplies I need to get in to make this happen.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 5

What hard life you lead Andrew :no:  Bryn Glas sounds ideal. 

Don

It's tough, but I try to cope.... We could do with a few more Guards and Blockmen if anyone else fancies 'living the dream'...?

My university holidays were spent working in one of the pubs in Tywyn and I ended up a Guard and Blockman as well as loco duties. Still do a few days Blocking each year to keep my hand in, a lie in and relaxing day throwing tokens at passing antique kettles contrasts to my more usual loco volunteering.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Happiness is... New fibreglass pencil brushes apparently!

My modelling mojo often takes a hit in the summer with all the distractions, this one being no different. Not helped by the uncertainties of a house move just as I'm getting the layout on the move. However, I may have a cunning plan for that...

So turned attention this week to the Selsey coach. With the main construction complete, I'd realised quite how much detail was needed to be added to be satisfying to my eyes. First up was to clean the tarnished brass and my fibreglass pencil was just not cleaning it as I'd expected. An afternoon of hard scraping nearly saw the thing thrown out the window as I looked longingly at Slaters plastic coaches!!

Salvation was at hand with an EBay order for more fibreglass brush refills. Have heard of people dipping them in PVA glue to reduce the number of stray hairs digging in your hands the new ones arrived, bonded together and made far lighter work of cleaning the brass, a short while later I had a shiny carriage and my faith restored!

This was followed by some research into these carriages, both the Selsey ones and the similar ones on the Caradon and Looe Railway, in particular the under frame which looked very bare.

post-11098-0-32378300-1439834357_thumb.jpg

The photo shows the last detail parts going on, some brake rodding which started life as point rodding and some Grandt Line Westinghouse Brake parts.

post-11098-0-52750100-1439834478_thumb.jpg

Much happier with the level of detail now, it's time for one more scrubbing and the painting process can start.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

No progress on the layout to report, keeping the place tidy for house viewings and showing people round has killed my layout mojo for now. However, this weekend's wallet emptying bonanza that is Guildex may well inspire....

Have made some progress on the fiddly bits of the coach that seem to take ages, made up the seats and all is ready now for a big polishing session and priming. If I pull my finger out, that'll take place before the weekend.

post-11098-0-15373300-1441226417_thumb.jpg

There have been some distractions of late unsurprisingly...

First was a Belgian Spa Weekend, a long weekend at the Spa Francorchamps Circuit in the Ardennes Forest for the F1 and other races. Great fun.

post-11098-0-45805100-1441226533_thumb.jpg

Then last weekend, the Bank Holiday was the latest Gala Weekend celebrating Talyllyn 150, including All Night Steam with trains running from Saturday morning, through the night and finishing Sunday evening.

Being a shift worker, I opted for playing trains at silly o'clock in the night and was rostered for the 3:55am train in the dark and 8:45am in the morning sunshine.

A short walk from my flat and I was able to commute to Pendre by train in the middle of the night.

post-11098-0-53959100-1441226772_thumb.jpg

My steed for the night was 'Dolgoch' and aided by coffee, we got her ready, including a spot of 'pimp my ride'...

post-11098-0-76510100-1441226867_thumb.jpg

Actually, Glow Sticks are very useful for seeing gauges by without using torches.

Seen it was time to take the Old Lady of the Night out to Wharf and find our train.

post-11098-0-98594600-1441226947_thumb.jpg

The trains were really busy til about 3am, with Wharf cafe open til late and a bar up at Abergynolwyn til midnight. There was just tea and cake by the time we got up there. By the time of our train those travelling were the hardcore few who'd settled down for the night, though there was the odd new passenger who was as mad as we were.

post-11098-0-09087400-1441227072_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, might have some more modelling to show soon.... But it's been a fun summer!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

No progress on the layout to report, keeping the place tidy for house viewings and showing people round has killed my layout mojo for now. However, this weekend's wallet emptying bonanza that is Guildex may well inspire....

Have made some progress on the fiddly bits of the coach that seem to take ages, made up the seats and all is ready now for a big polishing session and priming. If I pull my finger out, that'll take place before the weekend.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There have been some distractions of late unsurprisingly...

First was a Belgian Spa Weekend, a long weekend at the Spa Francorchamps Circuit in the Ardennes Forest for the F1 and other races. Great fun.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Then last weekend, the Bank Holiday was the latest Gala Weekend celebrating Talyllyn 150, including All Night Steam with trains running from Saturday morning, through the night and finishing Sunday evening.

Being a shift worker, I opted for playing trains at silly o'clock in the night and was rostered for the 3:55am train in the dark and 8:45am in the morning sunshine.

A short walk from my flat and I was able to commute to Pendre by train in the middle of the night.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My steed for the night was 'Dolgoch' and aided by coffee, we got her ready, including a spot of 'pimp my ride'...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Actually, Glow Sticks are very useful for seeing gauges by without using torches.

Seen it was time to take the Old Lady of the Night out to Wharf and find our train.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The trains were really busy til about 3am, with Wharf cafe open til late and a bar up at Abergynolwyn til midnight. There was just tea and cake by the time we got up there. By the time of our train those travelling were the hardcore few who'd settled down for the night, though there was the odd new passenger who was as mad as we were.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hopefully, might have some more modelling to show soon.... But it's been a fun summer!

Cheers,

Andrew

I'll be ready and waiting at Telford to help ease you of your financial burden and provide inspiration.

Chris

I'll be ready and waiting at Telford to help ease you of your financial burden and provide inspiration.

Chris

Thanks Chris! Your generosity is endless. I'm at work on Saturday, so won't be there until Sunday, if you're around I'll come and say hello. As for the wallet emptying assistance, already have a DCC Peckett on order with EDM Models.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Chris! Your generosity is endless. I'm at work on Saturday, so won't be there until Sunday, if you're around I'll come and say hello. As for the wallet emptying assistance, already have a DCC Peckett on order with EDM Models.

Cheers,

Andrew

Well done that man. I can only do Saturday, but Chris Basten will be on the stand on Sunday.

Well done that man. I can only do Saturday, but Chris Basten will be on the stand on Sunday.

I know Paul quite well and think I was one of the first to order one from him, so don't worry, I'll be continuing my collection of Ixion / Minerva products!

Shame our paths won't cross, but will be sure to swing by the Dragon stand to have a look at the Pecketts.

Cheers,

Andrew

Been busy with the rattle cans to add some colour to the carriage.

I didn't fancy brush painting the thing and the only rattle cabs I had were Crimson lake, weathered black and roof dirt. I wanted a colour that was more of an Indian Red, with a tinge of brown in it. A trip to Halfords and I came away with a can of VW Gambian Red that just happens to be the colour of my first car!

post-11098-0-93207300-1441374956_thumb.jpg

Not the best lighting so the exact shade isn't shown to its best. Will take some more photos when I get chance. But work beckons now...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

The rattle cans have made short work of the base colours, reddish/brown for the body, weathered black for the chassis and roof dirt for the roof.

Still plenty of work with brushes and other bits and pieces before the coach is finished, but that can wait a few days for the paint to harden.

Having posed the coach in the sunshine, I'd best finish my cuppa and head for Guildex...

post-11098-0-71487900-1441529335_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 7

All quiet on the modelling front this last week. Being off work the week following Guildex, which is also on the route to Wales, makes it an ideal stop off point for a week playing steam locos. Having spent most of Sunday drooling over Pecketts and Terriers, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102702-telford-layouts-this-year/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2018865 I headed west to the coast for the week.

I've known Paul Martin of EDM Models for many years and those who receive his newsletter will know that he also attended Guildex before heading to Wales for a week driving. Earlier in the year, when we realised this would be the case, Paul suggested we organise a Cultural Exchange and I was quick to say yes.

So Paul headed west to Tywyn following Guildex and spent the Monday driving 'Douglas' for me.

post-11098-0-51075900-1442178882_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-33133700-1442178910_thumb.jpg

Paul appeared to enjoy himself, plenty of time on he Talyllyn for drinking tea, suggesting that EDM should produce a kit for the Barclay E Class and here posing for a photo with Fireman Becky.

post-11098-0-09814200-1442178985_thumb.jpg

All too soon, it was time to put the loco to bed, get cleaned up and head out for a curry and a couple of beers.

post-11098-0-37795800-1442179031_thumb.jpg

Wednesday morning saw me head north up the coast for Portmadoc for a day with Paul and Merddin Emrys.

post-11098-0-53742200-1442179139_thumb.jpg

The smile on my face says it all!

post-11098-0-28373400-1442179176_thumb.jpg

The two railways are suitably different, to make driving on each other's train sets a challenge for each of us to 'get the knack' for driving the other one. For me, being very much a Westinghouse boy, the Vacuum brakes on the Ffes makes for a challenge.

post-11098-0-30690500-1442179362_thumb.jpg

All too soon we were back at Boston Lodge wiping Merddin down and putting back in its box.

post-11098-0-53980200-1442179463_thumb.jpg

Finally, there was time to raise a glass to our next Cultural Exchange at Spooners before heading back to Tywyn.

post-11098-0-81725900-1442179716_thumb.jpg

Home now after an excellent week. Whilst away, things have moved on very quickly in the whole house issue which means that there'll be little time for modelling as my time will be spent packing boxes...

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 11

The sound file for the Ixion Hudswell Clarke that Paul (EDM Models) put on my loco is intended as an industrial loco sound. With mine being a light railway loco I've added a Westinghouse Air Pump on it.

One of the noticeable sounds if you drive air brake fitted steam locos like I do is that of the pump kicking in every now and again and was one sound that I wished was on it.

Just before Guildex, Paul posted a video of a Dapol Terrier which he'd fitted sound to, complete with air pump.

A couple of emails later and the result was that my Hudswell accompanied me to Wales and whilst I cooked dinner the Sunday night after Guildex, Paul got the computer and the rolling road out and re-programmed my Hudswell to include the pump sound.

It might seem trivial to some, but for me it's one of those small things that makes the difference!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

A familiar sound to me. All NSWGR locomotives had Westinghouse pumps fitted. Australia basically standardised on westinghouse brakes except for Tasmania (the island state) which continued to use vacuum systems.

Indeed, though still a fairly rare sound over here with vacuum being adopted as the standard from grouping until relatively recent times.

Cheers,

Andrew

Returned from Guildex with a few goodies...

The latest MRJ for inspiration, despite being 4mm, Coldfair Lane is very nice, plus a few more good articles to boot.

The latest issue of Archive has a large article on Traction Engine Locos, a fount of silly ideas and have long liked the idea of making one.

Have the Oakwood & Middleton books on the CM&DPLR and find the line fascinating, hadn't realised that OPC had also published a line history until seeing this copy on one of the second hand bookstalls. At £10 it was an easy buy!

My final purchase was down to the salesmanship of Marc Dobson on the Furness Wagons stand. I only went to see what was new and came away with a Cambrian 2 plank wagon kit.

post-11098-0-55154700-1442398154_thumb.jpg

Yesterday late afternoon, felt like doing some modelling but didn't fabcy painting as the light was fading (I find painting easier in daylight) so unpacked the kit and found I had a pair of suitable wheels in stock.

post-11098-0-07536100-1442398254_thumb.jpg

The book is 'Cambrian Railways' by C.C. Green, there's photos of two Cambrian 2 plank wagons in use for ballast traffic in GW livery. One still with the drop sides intact (GW 31879) and the other (GW 30993) converted into a fixed sided wagon, but with some of the hinge straps remaining as stiffeners.

Both would be ideal for running to and from the quarry on the MVR, I have a Dragon Models etched kit for one stashed away waiting for me to attempt to solder it up which I intend modelling as 31879, thought that this would make a good 30993. This is also the state of the display model on the stand at Telford.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 4

An hour or so last night and another this morning and the wagon awaits weight adding, painting and buffers / coupling blackening.

post-11098-0-99772500-1442398647_thumb.jpg

So, how did I get on...

The instructions are on a cd, fired up the laptop and had a read. A couple of glaring things stood out: 1) the photos on the instructions are not of the Cambrian wagon. 2) the part numbers in the text don't all tally with those shown on the annotated photo (part 2 for example, on the photo it's the sea shook springs, in the text, they're body end stiffeners). However, it did give me an idea of how to put the thing together and shut the laptop down to start modelling.

One thing immediately apparent is that the body casting has two indentations in it each side for there to be an opening middle section. Little is written about Cambrian Wagons, but in all the books I've got on the Cambrian, I can't find any mention of any wagons like this, in text or photos, just wagons with complete drop down sides. There's no mention of numbers or this variant in the instructions. Thankfully I was modelling from a photo and I was able to put the stiffeners over the grooves (although not quite in the right place) and it looked ok. I was able to make up what ironwork I wanted from the etched fret supplied so I was happy.

The resin floor was over sized by a long way. Making a new floor out of three laminations of plain & planked plastikard proved easier than cutting the floor to size.

Body complete, it was left over night for the glue to harden off.

Working this evening, an hour of fiddling and cursing got the wagon running.

One look at the brake gear and axle boxes showed that they're generic one's and not specifically for this kit. I wouldn't mind, but I shouldn't have to cut large chunks out of them to make them fit!!!

First up, I tried the brake gear, this needed approx 4mm taking off each end to fit between the cross beams cast in the body. This took away a lot of the strength, but thankfully, glueing to the resin body / chassis has restored the strength. If I was building another, I'd also glue in packing pieces to enable the brakes to get a firm fix to the resin casting, but lining up with the wheels better.

The axle boxes fitted ok, though care needs to be taken to ensure the bearings sit parallel.

With care, a nice model can result and satisfies my 'looks good at arms length' criteria. Just needs better design work to ensure things like brakes and floors fit better!

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

I have seem to have started a collection of different models of these Cambrian low sided wagons, Dragon resin bodied (no longer available I think), Dragon etched both types and JLTRT ones now you find another.

Don

Erm, I'm sorry to point this out but the brakes are back to front - lowering the brake lever will take the brakes off rather than applying them. Easy mistake to make, I've done it myself.

Steve

Correct, wondered when someone would notice!

After glueing it in place, I realised that the casting was back to front. Waiting to be 'in the mood' to correct as the casting is already in two halves thanks to the work needed to make it fit...

Edited by Andrew Young

I have seem to have started a collection of different models of these Cambrian low sided wagons, Dragon resin bodied (no longer available I think), Dragon etched both types and JLTRT ones now you find another.

Don

Don,

I discounted the JLTRT one as it shows having a steel chassis, whereas all those I've seen photos of have wooden frames. So not quite just like the real thing....

I've come to the conclusion that the only really accurate ones are the Dragon ones! Have one of theirs which I ought to bite the bullet and build. Unless I just say f*** it and only build Slaters wagons from now on...

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

After a couple of days without doing any modelling, got home from work, pulled up the blind and thought about doing some. Sadly, in the few days since I bult it, my Cambrian wagon has altered shape somewhat and is now a banana wagon...

post-11098-0-77608400-1442935556_thumb.jpg

The one piece body casting was straight and square when I bought it, was straight and square when I built it and has been sat on a shelf alongside a Slaters plastic wagon since then and the latter hasn't been affected. It's also not been in any direct sunlight (not that there's been much of it this week!).

Any suggestions on what might have caused this and any suggested solutions are welcome.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have never seen that happen to any of our castings before. I do know that UV light can affect the unpainted castings but this normally makes the brittle. I have seen one or two castings sag when first out of the mould this can normally be remedied by placing them on a flat piece of glass. The plastic we use is a thermo plastic so will bend with extreme heat. Was the wagon left in a hot room?  I have used really hot water to square up some castings that have twisted. However I have never seen a wagon bend post build. You could try putting a hairdryer on it and propping the side apart. 

Marc

Furness Railway Wagon Co