Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

On 13/10/2021 at 16:44, corneliuslundie said:

This is the observation car. You really need it to call at Traeth Mawr.

1026233199_Cambrian6wobservationcar.jpg.81ddcfcd939fff4ac0b0b0356909bf3f.jpg

But of course no Gresley Pacific would ever be allowed across Barmouth Bridge.

Jonathan

Do I sense that a Hornby autocoach cut-n-shut is about to appear?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Do I sense that a Hornby autocoach cut-n-shut is about to appear?

I had never thought of that.  I had thought of cutting it out on the Silhouette.  I have looked at the autocoach for their own sake but they are not that cheap.  I really ought not to start another project, although it is tempting.  Either way, nothing is about to appear soon, not even what I am working on.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Merry Christmas Chris. I am looking forward to more Edwardian modeling and antics during the new year.

All the very best. Shaun.

Merry Christmas to you Shaun.  I shall follow your modern image layout with interest again next year.  :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I suppose I ought to do an update, especially as my own thread has dropped off the bottom of my 'Content I Posted in' list.  Young Price has disappeared as well.  I am not sure if he is looking for the key of the display cabinet to get his father out, or talking to young Mary as he makes a delivery to the narrow gauge railway.  The first will keep him ages as it is fastened by clips and not a key, and the second may take even longer, unless her mum or dad sees him.  (They do not like their Mary to talking to any young man.)

So I thought I would do a couple of 'Spot the Difference' competitions.  No prize, but maybe easier than the one on the Virtual Exhibition where I did not get the last difference even after looking at it on the answer sheet.

So, here is my model list from this time last year.

240971951_ModelList2021.jpg.833b3c414ee692b5a23d920e37e8a538.jpg

Now the list for now.

1378465672_ModelList2022.jpg.e349e168bdbfd7b9dbdaa7186fe83b52.jpg

Yes very little has been finished, in fact you could argue that the Dean Bogie still needs painting, but as it was a stand alone project just to see how it worked I will put it down as complete.  It is true other projects were progressed, but none over the finishing line.  My wife did say could I do something quick in terms of scenery.  I laughed to myself at the time and realise that I have been working on the station for about five months.  Talking of which, here it is.

1715758492_ToiletEnd5.jpg.7ac3c4a40164c4973b1345e4db78ad42.jpg

It has progressed, but not much has been done over Christmas.  I have made two double sash windows and one for the end, (not shown), slats for the toilet ventilation are going to be added one by one over the next millennia, and the toilet door will be made next.

So much excitement, I am not sure how I can contain myself.

If you have been, thanks for looking. 

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Stop it. You are making me look slow.

Progress on Nantcwmdu in the last year. Minimal!

But you and your little colleagues provide is with great entertainment.

And I hope the wanderer returns soon.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Your progress on Nantcwmdu may appear slow, but I seem to remember that you have been working on your club layout.  I am not sure I have that excuse.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You can't fool me. The Cambrian six wheel third has been left off the updated list.  So it's worse than it looks :jester:

Only joking. Things may not be finished but I remember progress on other coaches, the 645, figures, design of the station area, work on the platforms, the station building etc. 

In any case, the station is looking excellent. Is the other side easier in terms of windows etc?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Chris,

A belated happy new year to you and yours, I haven’t been looking in here for ages, sorry about that!

Now that I have skipped a hundred pages of so, I’ll try and keep up.

That station portion looks lovely btw.

Cheers,

John E.

John,

Good to have you back.  I would not suggest that you try and catch up by reading the last 100 pages.  There are lots of unfinished models in there. 

I am sure where you are today is slightly warmer than where I am.  (0 deg C).  

Thank you.  The station will be quite nice when it is done.  I am learning how I will not do things in the future, although I am not too unhappy with it.  It will take a while though as time is a bit short for modelling it seems.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Although modelling time is in short supply, research can be done in moments, lots of them put together while doing something else.

I have been looking for pictures of the Metropolitan Carriage and Wagon Works 25ft composites for reasons I will explain sometime.  Of course there are none.  However, on page 45 of The Cambrian Railways by R.W. Kinder, there is a picture of a Beaconsfield 4-4-0, in rebuilt condition, post 1914.  (Beautiful locomotive.)  Now I have seen this picture lots of times and have seen what is behind the locomotive, I had not registered what it was.  It is a GWR Siphon of diagram O.2.  The train was going from Aberdovey to Machynlleth.  Now I have some questions.

1) Are there any R-T-R versions of this?

2) Although I have looked I cannot find any kits of this, but are there some out there?

Any advice on the above would be useful, although, if it is a kit, it will be a long way down the list.

So question 3)  This is milk traffic so does anybody know where it was coming from?  I am assuming it was milk from a GWR area or it might have just been in a Cambrian wagon or van.

Any answers gratefully received.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Northroader said:

Stafford  Road do  a 4mm print on Shape ways

P.S. wonder when “Hufenfa Meirion” started operations?

Thank you.

The print seems what I want except that it has an arc roof but as it is plastic and not resin then that is not a problem.  The centre axel will need sorting as well.  I am not sure what the import duty will be on it, I am fairly certain there will be some as Shapeways sends from Holland, I think.  

Hufenfa Meirion:  I have Googled this creamery, and it appears that the National Archives have records for this business from 1939 to 1990.  I have checked on the maps at the National Library of Scotland and no buildings were at the Creamery site by 1913, but there are buildings on the map that covers 1937 to 1960, but they may have been on an update.  There are photos from the 1950s.  So it is too late for me.

I wonder if they were supplying a big dairy or local dairies.  On the same site they have a Farming map for 1944.  Now I doubt that thins would have changed much in the first half of the century and this shows the main dairy areas to the east of Wales and into England.  Milk in churns could have come from Ruabon to Dolgelley, or via Machynlleth from Whitchurch.  I am assuming the van I saw was empty and returning.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had some stuff from Shapeways fairly recently, and it seems they factor in the various duties into the cost. With the creamery, I suspected it might be a long shot for pregroup times. Wonder if GWR Siphons would appear on to the Cambrian from South of Aberystwyth?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Chris, regarding Siphon O2 and others, have you seen this body kit:

https://www.diagram3d.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109

I have not tried them. 

Mikkel,

Thank you.  If I have seen them before I had forgotten them, and they did not come up when I searched for siphons.

The up side is that I can build exactly what I want, (in environmentally friendly materials), and they have a kit for an O1.  The down side is there is more work to do and there is no chassis so I will have to find out about springs and things.  I would need to do a roof either way.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

There was fairy farming in south west Wales as well. Could it have come via the M&M?

Or possibly the Severn valley east of Welshpool, joint GWR/LNWR?

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I think either is a possibility.  The train was heading towards Machynlleth so would have had to be put onto another train, and could have gone either way.  What we need is a goods note or a contract.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

I’ve had some stuff from Shapeways fairly recently, and it seems they factor in the various duties into the cost. With the creamery, I suspected it might be a long shot for pregroup times. Wonder if GWR Siphons would appear on to the Cambrian from South of Aberystwyth?

Yes, you have had kits from Shapeways, I assume that you did not get a letter from HMRC to pay duty on your package?

I think it is possible that it could have come from any GWR area.