Church Norton

3 link

Fantastic work Martyn, Bout time only been waiting for this since Feb 2014 :)

Hi John,

Yes it's been a long time coming, a bit like your turnout. I thought you would of had it built by now! Only joking, no rush.

Makes a really pleasing riiiiipppp as it goes through.

Hi Chris,

Yes I agree to the noise, the banner was made using two cocktail sticks and two cigarette papers glued together, and maybe glued a bit to well, as the first attempt ended with the pannier spinning her wheels ! So take two and I opened her up a bit and bingo.....

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 4

Hi Guys,

The one thing that really concerned me was how to keep my rolling stock safe when I had the lifting section raised, this problem has caused me loads of head scratching but I think I got there in the end.

I did put up a photo of the lifting section but I couldn't rotate it around the correct way, grrrrrrr. So you will just have to try and visualise the scenario.

As you can see it's a fair drop to the floor, anyhow I started off at the hinged end. I used the sprung terminals of an old standard lamp and two little off cuts of nickel silver too make or break the connection, the track feed goes dead around 18 inches away from the hinges and this has proved important as my friends class 33 rolls on for at least a foot before stopping.

post-7101-0-58496700-1504985001_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-99300900-1504985041_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-79966200-1504985064_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the photos above explain how it all works.

As for the other end of the lifting hatch, I have used a micro switch wired to the first turnout in the fiddle yard to cut the power, and this is just operated by a scrap piece of nickel silver, see below.

post-7101-0-99098400-1504985330_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-99616700-1504985374_thumb.jpg

Well it all seems to work okay, so time will tell ( fingers crossed ).

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 3

Martyn

The bit of NS will eventually deflect and cease to provide satisfaction, so once you've got it working, I'd suggest a bit of ply cut to suit and screwed or glued on.

I've thought a bit about the stopping thing, particularly with regard to keep-alive DCC locos. It is possible (at least on Lenz) to generate an emergency stop signal via a switch, (control bus E) but this will, of course, stop the whole layout, which might be a pain if you're doing a spot of shunting, and your guest wants to go for a pee. It would be nice to have a couple of feet section ahead of lifting sections which would provide locos with an immediate stop signal via DCC, but of course, the "stopping section" would have to be longer than any train you could reasonably reverse into it, or your brakevan could go over the cliff. All in all, it's not a trivial issue, and on reflection, I'd perhaps go for the whole layout shut down if the hatch is open.

Of course, this doesn't help if you're in DC mode with big flywheels...

Philosophically..

Simon

Martyn

The bit of NS will eventually deflect and cease to provide satisfaction, so once you've got it working, I'd suggest a bit of ply cut to suit and screwed or glued on.

I've thought a bit about the stopping thing, particularly with regard to keep-alive DCC locos. It is possible (at least on Lenz) to generate an emergency stop signal via a switch, (control bus E) but this will, of course, stop the whole layout, which might be a pain if you're doing a spot of shunting, and your guest wants to go for a pee. It would be nice to have a couple of feet section ahead of lifting sections which would provide locos with an immediate stop signal via DCC, but of course, the "stopping section" would have to be longer than any train you could reasonably reverse into it, or your brakevan could go over the cliff. All in all, it's not a trivial issue, and on reflection, I'd perhaps go for the whole layout shut down if the hatch is open.

Of course, this doesn't help if you're in DC mode with big flywheels...

Philosophically..

Simon

Morning Simon,

Thank you for the advice, having the whole layout shut down is probably the safest way in the long run, it would certainly give peace of mind.

The electrical diagram that you so kindly drew for me has come in so handy in the last couple of days, I am hoping to buy some different colour wire today so I can wire up the program track which is part of the fiddle yard, I could of used the usual colours, but it doesn't take a lot to confuse me.....

All the best,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

The Permanent way guys have been busy over the weekend on Church Norton, after finally renewing their supplies from Telford.

Since taking the last photo the down line is now complete, although it looks like the end of the head shunt could do with some tlc.

post-7101-0-19719000-1505673212_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-10192200-1505673240_thumb.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 7

The Permanent way guys have been busy over the weekend on Church Norton, after finally renewing their supplies from Telford.

Since taking the last photo the down line is now complete, although it looks like the end of the head shunt could do with some tlc.

attachicon.gifIMG_2943.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2944.JPG

ATB,

Martyn.

Looking really good Martyn, although the head shunt looks fine to me!

Do I see one of Jim's 20t BR Brakevans there?

I have one of these, along with a couple of WEP cattle wagons to build in brass after my RSU arrives this week! Jim's kits go together so well.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_2943.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2944.JPG

ATB,

Martyn.

Looking good Martyn, your unloved siding is just the look I want for parts of Pencarrow. Perhaps a little less weeds if I follow the example of Bodmin North, which seemed to decidedly lack ballast in many places.

• Like 1

Looking really good Martyn, although the head shunt looks fine to me!

Do I see one of Jim's 20t BR Brakevans there?

I have one of these, along with a couple of WEP cattle wagons to build in brass after my RSU arrives this week! Jim's kits go together so well.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Yes I agree with the head shunt, I do like the neglected look. I am just playing around with some horse hair and flock at the moment so it might even get some hedgerows soon.

As for the brake van, yes your spot on and I agree Jim's kits are some of the best around. One of my son's started to show a bit of interest in maybe learning to solder and kit building, so I thought great one of Jim's fits the bill perfectly. Anyhow he made a start as you can see and this was about 3 yrs ago !! And every time I happen to mention " shall I finish it Son ?'' The reply is no, I'll finish it soon.......kids !!

Looking good Martyn, your unloved siding is just the look I want for parts of Pencarrow. Perhaps a little less weeds if I follow the example of Bodmin North, which seemed to decidedly lack ballast in many places.

Hi Chris,

Ah yes the weed problem, I am still having fun getting use to my flock applicator and it's hard to know when enough is enough! Mind you, you can always pluck some back out with the Wife's tweezers :P

Going back to the potential issue with the lifting section:

How about a sliding plate that is sprung to lift and act as a physical barrier to the track when the lifting section is opened?

Hi Richard,

It's funny you should mention the lifting section, as I still find it hard to relax when operating ( playing ) trains. And the thought of a sliding barrier popping up was something I was thinking about. But to be honest I think Simond of this parish has the most fool proof way in which as soon as the section is lifted it will completely cut all the power to the track feeds.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

Food for thought Martyn, Haven't done anything really apart from make a nice sturdy board for the Template and covered it with plastic, have fitted chairs to the stock rails but STILL waiting for the switch blades,

I have Butanone and brush at the ready to glue straight stock rail in place but just a bit reluctant ATM as I need to think about how to do it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the lifting section. Cutting all the power dead may be the safest option. I have wondered about using a solenoid to release a bolt to free the lifting section having a push button on the lifting section to operate the solenoid wired through a switch on the control panel so no one could lift the section  unless the operator threw the switch but realised the operator could forget to restore it after use and negate the whole effect.

When having a go in Lydney signal box there was an extra box by the frame with a large red button press it and it would operate the barriers on the A38 bypass lights and bells with the barriers lowering after a delay. There was a similar box on St Mary's platform for the loco crew approaching Lydney.  It does occur to me a buzzer or bell sounding as the section was lifted would let everyone know what was happening.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect also that the sound of an expensive loco hitting the floor would also let people know it had been lifted. Definitely one to avoid.

Perhaps a belt and braces approach of also having a big net like the early aircraft carriers would be a good idea?

What about a local crossing signal cabin. Interlocking between the levers to turn off the approach power and the lifting section release?

• Like 1

I remain of the opinion that either "all dead", or the ingenious solution implemented by Anthony Ashley on his incredible N gauge model of Conwy & Bangor is the way to go.

Anthony's solution is to have a counterbalanced section of baseboard that lifts vertically, which is guided by two "walls" that are built below the extremities of the lifting section, which are fitted with drawer runners, connected to the fixed baseboards. The lifting part is shaped like a letter "n" as you approach it.

Thus, when it is "down", the layout & scenic surface is unbroken. When it is "up", there is a clear tunnel to walk through, but there is no drop for the stock, as the walls slide up, and block the ends of the layout.

Of course, if you have stock on the lifting bit when you lift it...

Best
Simon

link thingy

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page-20&do=findComment&comment=1683253

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2

I think the " all dead " solution is the best bet, what I have not mentioned before is that I still have to share my play room with the wife as she has one of those washing machine thingys under one of my baseboards.

Not a problem in itself, but the room is used on a regular basis so the lifting hatch has to be not only reliable but be easy to operate, so the keep it simple rule needs to apply in my opinion.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

I think the " all dead " solution is the best bet, what I have not mentioned before is that I still have to share my play room with the wife as she has one of those washing machine thingys under one of my baseboards.

Not a problem in itself, but the room is used on a regular basis so the lifting hatch has to be not only reliable but be easy to operate, so the keep it simple rule needs to apply in my opinion.

Martyn.

Extend the interlocking to the washing machine. Just think of the brownie points that would get you...