Church Norton

3 link

Hi Phil,

The Wife and I count ourselves very lucky to live in this part of the world, what with the coast and also the South Downs. Apart from 3 years in France we have always lived near the coast, it seems to draw you back like an invisible magnet.

Every weekend we walk the dogs around the harbour or along the beach back to Aldwick, but like most of the UK the area is slowly being built on and not for the better in my opinion, but we won't go there....

Martyn.

We've probably passed on the beach doing the same at some point!

I agree. Beautiful area, but now getting oh so crowded. Ok, back to railways!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Well I'm still without the mojo, but as I had a couple of hours to spare this afternoon, I thought I would try yet another aspect of railway modelling.

So I have attempted to portray a facing point lock incorporating an old fashioned fouling bar, these fouling bars were fairly wide spread on the western region. Basically if there were any locos or rolling stock standing on top of the point blades the fouling bars prevented the points from being operated, this was because the wheel flange was depressing the bar which was sighted next to the running rail, hope that makes sense......

Also I have made a start on the point rodding, I have used Modelu's rodding stool and although fairly small the detail is fantastic. Alan ( Modelu ) can 3D print these stools in whatever amount of rows you require, and they work out a lot cheaper than the alternatives I have used before.

post-7101-0-52116100-1514049214_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-73389700-1514049238_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 7

Hi Guys,

I managed to get a couple of hours in this afternoon and I must say I am very impressed with the Modelu point stools, I know I’ve mentioned them before, but the other options I’ve used before were either fiddly and labour intensive or just worked out very expensive and were white metal castings with not much detail.

post-7101-0-77113300-1514476863_thumb.jpeg

post-7101-0-82294300-1514476909_thumb.jpeg

post-7101-0-43920500-1514476929_thumb.jpeg

Usual disclaimer, just a happy modeller,

Martyn.

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

Not much to report on layout progress, but I have built this quaint little SR signal box for a good friend of mine. This signal box will eventually end up on his proposed layout.

post-7101-0-52840000-1524472224_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-75032100-1524472260_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 8

I saw the photo before reading the words... I thought, "eh, what's 'e doin', it's t'wrong colour..."

I thought he'd seen the light...

Evening Gents,

I must admit I do like the green and cream, and having lived most of my life along the South Coast. But it's Gods Wonderful Railway for me...

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening Gents,

I must admit I do like the green and cream, and having lived most of my life along the South Coast.

ATB,

Martyn.

Sounds like the door is slightly ajar, if we lean on it hard enough it will definitely open.
  • Like 2

I have been following this thread for awhile now and was wondering what had happened to you. I'm glad to see your back Martyn and a great job done on the Signal box, even if it is a Southern one. 

Stay with the Western line. :>)

Cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally had a go at the platform sides, another job that I have been dreading being that the platforms are well over 6' long. This stone work will actually be the back face of the platform, for the front face I will use normal brick work. You will notice I have not taken the stonework right up to the top of the platform surface, I am going to try and use some DAS modelling clay for this job.

I have given the stonework a quick waft of a Cotswold stone colour using some Vallejo acrylic paint as a base colour, there is still much to do, but it's a start so hopefully the mojos returning fingers crossed.

post-7101-0-12425300-1525693748_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-32908000-1525693770_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-17826400-1525693793_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 7

Nice to see a bit of progress me old mate

Cheers Steve,

I don't think I'll ever be able to keep up with your pace, you are to making layouts what Jazz ( Ken ) is to loco building.

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

I think that once I put some weathering and greenery along the platform bottom edge it should bring it all to life a bit more, I'm impressed with the walling as it took less than and hour to put in place, just the top edge to finish it off and then the platform surface itself.

post-7101-0-50928600-1525856283_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good to see some further progress Martyn, though I have to say, the platform ramp looks a bit steep to me. No doubt there were exceptions, but I think a 1 in 8 slope was considered the norm. If you were thinking of installing some GWR spear fencing along the back edge, you might find it parting company with the platform surface, very soon after the start of the descent!

Regards

Dan

Evening Dan,

Thanks for the heads up, I will endeavour to put things right, and you must have read my mind as the GWR spear fencing is exactly what I have planned.

I have just noticed how grainy the photo looks, message to self, I must upgrade my phone !!

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Crumbs you were certainly right Dan, looking at the slope now the poor passengers would need to wear some hiking boots to ascend that gradient. It's funny how some errors that should be glaring obvious and are right in front of you eyes can still be missed, oh well onwards and upwards.....

post-7101-0-20984700-1525967617_thumb.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

Martyn,

These shots show the platform ramps at Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp, the latter before before the weighbridge and coal merchant's offices obstructed the view. They were designed to take the PECO GWR railings. I must admit that I found it difficult at first to adapt to the length of the ramps in 7mm scale when I moved up from Abersoch. I think I was surprised at the length of platform that was required for the ramps. 

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-80150000-1526056469_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-91114800-1526056540_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Martyn,

These shots show the platform ramps at Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp, the latter before before the weighbridge and coal merchant's offices obstructed the view. They were designed to take the PECO GWR railings. I must admit that I found it difficult at first to adapt to the length of the ramps in 7mm scale when I moved up from Abersoch. I think I was surprised at the length of platform that was required for the ramps. 

Regards,

Chris

I found exactly the same on Pencarrow. I drew them up on plan and thought that couldn't possibly be right. Cutting the ramp formers out though showed they are indeed quite a lot longer than you imagine.

Well I cannot believe how long it has taken me to correct the platform ramps, most of the day on and off although some of the time was waiting for the glue to set.

Not a lot to see at present, so here's a couple showing another platform on Church Norton, only this time it's down at the goods sidings.

post-7101-0-67991400-1526150350_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-87850800-1526150375_thumb.jpg

ATB,

Martyn. PS, apologies for the c**p photos again.......

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 11