Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Thats looking good. 

by the way, how did you do your scissors crossover in front of the box?

Hi John

As they say, we're getting there..........

I am in fact having to move the siding behind the 'box over a bit to allow clearance for the new building's bigger footprint and to clear the junction signal post on the main up line.

The scissors was made from some of my father's brass bullhead rail, salvaged from his 1940's layout (!), rebuilt/soldered on to copper clad sleepering, with plan taken from a trailing crossover, which, I think now resides in the North yard area.

It has some fancy electrical switching to get the crossing polarity correct.

After some recent fettling, it works quite well, but could still do with a tweak or two.

Trains pass through it very slowly anyway!

Trackwork in south up coal yard being moved to make way for the new 'box.

The JCB has been sitting unemployed for maybe 25 years, so it's about time it had some work to do......

post-21954-0-13949300-1396538505_thumb.jpg

The wagons in the coal siding are pretty vintage - Triang original trainset from about 1958 - can't do much to modernise them, so they sit in the yard as a reminder of "old times." (And an Airfix 16t mineral with 3 link couplings).

In fact the SR wagon body is even older as it was my Dad's, and is made from thin ply with an overlay of lithographed paper originally made by MERCO in Watson Street in Dundee in the late 1930's early 1940's I think.

A lucky survivor.

In the early 1950's there were quite a few old wagons still around in varying states of repair, and with the old liveries still in evidence - my case rests!

post-21954-0-86533400-1396538801_thumb.jpg

Now to get back to the shovelling and tracklaying - no rest for the wicked....

• Like 3

Hi there,

Just popped by to say love what you're doing, very characterful. My father's current layout is based on Aberdeen (in the 1950's) so there's much on your layout I can relate to.

Keep posting and I'll keep 'liking' :good:

Progress on the North 'Box  - stairs to be completed, probably a bit of weathering, plus roof to be done.....

Not much left, then!

attachicon.gifNorh Box Progress.jpg

Stairs completed, roof slates (Wills), fitted, flashing to be finished, plus down pipes and window cleaning outside boards to be done, and then the small(!) matter of fitting out inside.

On which subject, I've spent quite a few hours over the last couple of days in reproducing a fully annotated diagram, with all points, locks, signals, etc., numbered. I'm not claiming it to be error free, but at least I'll be able to paint the levers in the box pretty close to their correct colours/allocations.  Unless of course somebody out there already has a copy of the 1950's diagram?????

I've also unearthed an inside photo of the 'box at Cambus Junction which shows up the crossing gates wheel very nicely - looks as though the wheel diameter is 3 feet, with six spokes and a side handle to "do the business".

Apart from that, there's the signalman's chair, desk, cupboards, cooker, stove, etc.

There's also the frame itself, with the shelf above with the block instruments, signal indicators, manuals, and the actual diagram mounted above.

How much longer is this project going to take, I ask myself...........

post-21954-0-75497100-1397077907_thumb.jpg

Now I'll wait for the fault-finders to do their worst!

The only problem with good weather is that you don't have the excuse to "carry on modelling", and so while the garden is looking neater, the 'box hasn't progressed as far as I might have hoped, but I've given it another trial fitting on site alongside the footbridge and level crossing, which makes for a nice cameo scene.

post-21954-0-49402000-1397291269_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-24699600-1397291297_thumb.jpg

I think it's the early morning sun, but there's almost a hint of steam lingering at the front of the box in the second photo - surely an optical illusion......

• Like 7

As if making the Arbroath North 'box weren't enough, I've been doing a better drawing of the South 'box which was required due to the info. that that box had 39 levers, and the current size of model could not have accommodated 39 levers.

So is was back to the drawing board, literally!

The attached is the corrected version, and even has the right combination of windows......

There are quite a few books which show a V2 heading south past the box in June, 1958 - my most thumbed volume is  Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen by Michael S Welch, which thankfully covers not only the old Caley route but includes the surviving route via Dundee and Arbroath.

Anyway, here's the drawing, warts and all.

post-21954-0-63798200-1397678695_thumb.jpg

Better get back to the North 'box construction now!

• Like 1

Working on the lever frame at present - 72 levers x three components = 216 parts to be glued/assembled.....

post-21954-0-24949000-1398244403_thumb.jpg

The other furnishings for the 'box are mostly fitted, along with a conduit for the internal lighting, and so final assembly may be this week.

I've also "invested" in some Wills point rodding so that will need to be assembled and laid in if I can retain my sanity!

• 2 weeks later...

After much cutting, fitting, filing, gluing, trimming, painting, measuring and waiting, we now have a lever frame for the North Box.

The camera close-upshots scream at my inabilities to get detail accurate, but once it's inside the box, half-hidden by window framing, etc., we should get away with it............

post-21954-0-54198300-1399304915_thumb.jpg

Having seen the close-ups, I think I'll do a bit of detail tidying before installation.

• Like 8

Another couple of 'box photos - I've taken the plunge and glued the lever frame inside, together with the coal-fired stove and easy chair - for the quiet times between trains.......

post-21954-0-50270400-1399317045_thumb.jpg

The signalman can be seen at the far left window looking pensively out over the level crossing and yard, hoping that his 'box is going to have its roof fitted soon - and some internal lighting, please!

post-21954-0-42373100-1399317065_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I'm risking visual overload, but the first fitting of lights and roof - although still on the workbench - looks not bad.

post-21954-0-18704700-1399323620_thumb.jpg

Signalman still not looking very impressed, but the table with the train register and this week's copy of the Arbroath Herald lying open help the scene.

The notice board and clock at the right rear show up quite well too.....

• Like 4

A really nice build, and well carried out. Superb detailing.

I would get a close up picture of it on the layout and with some shadows and atmosphere then pop it up on how realistic is my modelling. Dusk with those lights and the interior just barely viewable, really looking good. :sungum:

Edited by Jaz

A really nice build, and well carried out. Superb detailing.

I would get a close up picture of it on the layout and with some shadows and atmosphere then pop it up on how realistic is my modelling. Dusk with those lights and the interior just barely viewable, really looking good. :sungum:

Sounds like a good idea - I'll get on to it....

It must be a sort of overwork thing, but I've diverted some of my energies into installing a facing crossover on the Forfar/Aberdeen return loop on the layout, instead of progressing with the North 'Box - I haven't forgotten about it, honestly.

I gave the crossover a trial run tonight, and it should prove very useful, effectively making the inner loops bi-directional, as there's already a crossover at the other end to allow access to the erstwhile NBR North Goods Yard.

So tomorrow should see a return to the 20 or so outstanding jobs to do on the 'box, and then we'll see what's next on the agenda........

But there's also gardening to be done!

Ho, Hum.........

• Like 1

we can't cut our grass, we have managed once for it to be dry enough for the lawnmower to cope, small critters can hide, and I am expecting shrubs to pop up anytime soon, grass is taller than molehills which are fun when you hit them.

And the layout trial it, like keep it,....OR..... trial it, don't like move on to something else....

Just stay happy.

And nothing has to be done done today, tomorrow morning bright and early will do fine..... :jester:

I spent quite a bit of cheeky time in the box in the mid 80's when I was based at nearby Condor Barracks (formerly RNAS Condor) when serving with 45 Cdo!

Thread brings back quite a few happy memories of going down the box then the Westport for a few!

• 4 weeks later...

Been AWOL for some days, but had an excellent tour round former NBR territory on Saturday with the NBR Study Group, fitting in a visit to the Dundee Museum in Barrack Street to view fascinating relics from the ill-fated 1st Tay Bridge, passing Kinnaber Junction,(site of!), a walk in the sun at Inverbervie, then back down the coast, calling in at Arbroath, (of course !), and back to Leuchars.

Managed to get back to the loft tonight, and fixed the 'box to a card foundation which gives it a bit more stability, and will allow the addition of point rodding, coal store, 20mph sign, telegraph pole, etc., and means that much of that can be put on at the bench rather than leaning painfully over the baseboard, before the whole assembly is installed, and I can move on.........

EE type 4 passing beneath the box on its way south - the clearance is very tight and a bit unnerving when you're in the box and trains are passing beneath your feet, so I must have got the measurements pretty well correct.

post-21954-0-77541100-1402432040_thumb.jpg

This is an attempt to replicate an RCAHMS Canmore photo taken in the 'sixties which captures the atmosphere and location pretty well.

post-21954-0-25412700-1402432066_thumb.jpg

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Between bouts of gardening, I do manage to run some trains, (!), and present a "cavalcade," of up trains passing the loco sheds....

A4 on up train to Dundee and Edinburgh.

post-21954-0-60825800-1403865947_thumb.jpg

B1 on ordinary passenger, (Thomson stock).

post-21954-0-00768000-1403865966_thumb.jpg

A2 on Sleeper, mostly Mk.1's

post-21954-0-43334100-1403865983_thumb.jpg

V2 on another sleeper, mostly Gresleys, plus Stove R

post-21954-0-61746600-1403865997_thumb.jpg

Class 27 on fitted freight

post-21954-0-15642200-1403866017_thumb.jpg

C16 posed with recently acquired Gresley non-gangwayed stock, on D & A local

post-21954-0-54349500-1403866035_thumb.jpg

How many of you noticed the cobwebs picked up going through the storage sidings/underbridges? There's a very active spider who repairs its webs faster than I can clear them! 

And, no - the North Box hasn't yet been finally installed........

TTFN

• Like 4

Yes, I noticed that (the cobwebs) and was going to comment - looks like you'll have to run your trains more often then (no bad thing!). I'm also intrigued by the (Hornby Dublo?) A4 with the (non-Hornby Dublo?) tender. Do tell... (I presume it managed to 'streak' past the cobwebs?)

Nice selection of trains.

Yes, I noticed that (the cobwebs) and was going to comment - looks like you'll have to run your trains more often then (no bad thing!). I'm also intrigued by the (Hornby Dublo?) A4 with the (non-Hornby Dublo?) tender. Do tell... (I presume it managed to 'streak' past the cobwebs?)

Nice selection of trains.

Nothing gets past you folks!

The A4 was bought in the early 'seventies under the Wrenn label, so it's a "tweaked," Hornby Dublo version - remagnetised recently and still hauls well.

• Like 1

Wonderful stuff Ken, love the box interior. You know where to find me if there is anything else I can assist with.

What I would give to go back to that period in time - so much more interest than the endless procession of class 170s!

Derek

Edited by dhtulyar

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful stuff Ken, love the box interior. You know where to find me if there is anything else I can assist with.

What I would give to go back to that period in time - so much more interest than the endless procession of class 170s!

Derek

Thanks Derek

Imagination has no bounds - we can recreate any time period, any scenario - it's all in the mind.

Evenings are being spent to some extent making sleeper fencing for the area around the 'box which should help to "complete" the scene - pictures will flow after installation - it's a boring kind of activity, but nothing looks more like wood than wood - coffee stirrers to the rescue as usual, but they have to measured for length, width and fitted to the sloping site with the aid of a profile gauge to get the heights right.

Watched a youtube video of the Caledonian Sleeper going past Dundee and Arbroath yesterday, and drooled over the dawn views over the Tay and along the D & A, plus good shots of the 'box on the way past.

But the good weather means the garden has to get yet more attention.......... so out with the sunhat, hand fork and trug once more.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to the stage of adding the sleeper fencing and rail/spar barriers in the yard, plus some other minor but essential details.

Quite a steep approach down Wellgate to the crossing gates, but the law regarding fencing off the tracks is now satisfied!

Also visible under the far steps of the footbridge is a newly built store presumably for coal or S & T items - another of the bits of railway hardware now long gone from the scene.

post-21954-0-90670300-1406139507_thumb.jpg

Rail/spar barriers to stop runaway vehicles also in place.

There's also an extension wall behind the 'box which is actually the remains of one of the old stone built sheds which were in situ pre the 1911 remodelling of the station and yard.

post-21954-0-78773900-1406139533_thumb.jpg

Another shot along the tracks showing the sleeper-built coal store, (yet to be stocked), and the 20mph warning sign to cover the sharp curve on the approach to the station platforms.

post-21954-0-92608500-1406139738_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Finally got to the stage of adding the sleeper fencing and rail/spar barriers in the yard, plus some other minor but essential details.

Quite a steep approach down Wellgate to the crossing gates, but the law regarding fencing off the tracks is now satisfied!

Also visible under the far steps of the footbridge is a newly built store presumably for coal or S & T items - another of the bits of railway hardware now long gone from the scene.

attachicon.gifSleeper fencing at SB 1.jpg

Rail/spar barriers to stop runaway vehicles also in place.

There's also an extension wall behind the 'box which is actually the remains of one of the old stone built sheds which were in situ pre the 1911 remodelling of the station and yard.

attachicon.gifSleeper fencing at SB 2.jpg

Another shot along the tracks showing the sleeper-built coal store, (yet to be stocked), and the 20mph warning sign to cover the sharp curve on the approach to the station platforms.

attachicon.gifSleeper fencing at SB 3.jpg

Wow dont know how i missed these at the time!!!! Lovely modelling.The signal box and the bridge are beautiful.

A new water tank has arrived at Arbroath - higher and much more like the original - the water would now flow over to the water crane at the end of platform 3/4!

The old (Wills) tank about to be replaced - it'll find a new home somewhere else on the layout.......

post-21954-0-73775200-1406822698_thumb.jpg

The new tank with outside stair to access the lower room where there was no doubt a stove to keep the water frost free.

post-21954-0-72955200-1406822748_thumb.jpg

My resident C16 awaits its next duty beside the new tank.

post-21954-0-14696400-1406822789_thumb.jpg

The new S & T shed under the footbridge, suitably weathered.

post-21954-0-21873700-1406822821_thumb.jpg

• Like 5