Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Nice photo. Is that the type you will be modelling at Arbroath? The one in my book is at Fort William, a single colum on a concrete plinth, with a hose coming out of each side, with some weird ironwork hanging off the top box?

Cheers Les

I'll need to do some careful measuring of the platform to see if two columns can be fitted in. I do have a single, (Mike's Models), column there at the moment, so that will need to do for now.

The weird one at Fort Williiam could be reproduced, but I don't fancy all the rodding to make it work........

This is the present set up.

post-21954-0-55718300-1425672544_thumb.jpg

Ken

Just a general point - re storage sidings - I note from one of the layouts featured in this month's Railway Modeller that a contributor has laid out his storage roads with full scenic treatment, which is what I'm intending to do with my upper sidings. (Great minds think alike?)

Much better that a "dead" area in a large chunk of the layout, I think.

All it needs is the time to do it..........

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great deal of progess recently due to father-in-law being seriously ill in hospital, (being visited daily), redecorating a bedroom at home, and gardening, (plus my own infirmities, but improving, thankfully).

A class 170 that clouted and killed a flock of sheep at Carmont has recently been stabled at the Dens Road sidings at the north end of Arbroath, and here's my take on the old situation when class 101's used to lay over between duties in the sixties/seventies.

The footbridge looks well in the foreground, while the loco shed floor has still to be completed.

post-21954-0-13649900-1427110206_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Watching my dvd  I noticed a building on the right as you leave the station towards Aberdeen its quite large and built of brick with some sidings in front ,what was this building used for ?

Going north, pretty much all of the buildings are, or were, engineering works.

The one just over the level crossing was Douglas Fraser & Son, which latterly was Giddings and Lewis Fraser, engaged in making machinery for the jute manufacturing industry. Once through the road bridge at the north end, Alexander Shanks factories were passed.  They made a large variety of products, not the least of which were their famous lawn mowers, some of which were used at Wimbledon among other places. Across the Brothock Burn, came Brothock Castings Ltd - who made castings......

Unfortunately most of the engineering works have moved or closed, but the Northern Tool & Gear Co. is still active, situated behind the small engineering works on the right as you go north before the signal box, beside Morrisons Supermarket.

There's still a big, red, stone building on the right after you pass under the road bridge at the north end, which has the appearance of being a bonded warehouse, but I may be wrong.

Hopefully helpful.

Not doing much actual construction at present, but I've carved the moulded headcode box off the ends of my old  NBL Type 2, and added a set of Roxey Mouldings discs to each end, altering its appearance for the better, I think..........

As you can only see one end of the loco at a time, a different code can be set on each end, doubling its usability.

Here's the original with its garish yellow end, photographed a few years ago, coming downhill from St Vigeans Junction, with a probably totally inappropriate code for the Scottish Region.

post-21954-0-49923200-1427456355_thumb.jpg

The next one is on a short parcels service coming out of the entrance to the "Dundee," loops, effectively heading Northwards.

post-21954-0-41807500-1427456386_thumb.jpg

Finally on an ordinary passenger leaving the old platform one and about to go over the scissors crossing at the North Signal Box - I should get a blind for the skylight as it floods too much light on the subject, giving my camera insurmountable challenges in balancing the light available.....

post-21954-0-17512900-1427456419_thumb.jpg

A little progress, then!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again Ken. No progress from me and unlikely to be for a while. SWMBO won't allow me into the loft since my heart attack AND cardiac arrest at Easter! Talk about rising from the dead!! I'm OK now but taking it easy. Just started a Parkside kit for convalescence, ha,ha. Hope everything is OK in your part of the world. At least being 'ill' meant a visit from my sister with a pair of Arbroath smokies!

I have decided that life is too short to change my engine shed from part built 'north light pattern' to as per your drawing, probably regret it later.

All the best for now Les

Hi again Ken. No progress from me and unlikely to be for a while. SWMBO won't allow me into the loft since my heart attack AND cardiac arrest at Easter! Talk about rising from the dead!! I'm OK now but taking it easy. Just started a Parkside kit for convalescence, ha,ha. Hope everything is OK in your part of the world. At least being 'ill' meant a visit from my sister with a pair of Arbroath smokies!

I have decided that life is too short to change my engine shed from part built 'north light pattern' to as per your drawing, probably regret it later.

All the best for now Les

Hi Les

Thanks for your comments - maybe it's an age thing but my own "health," is stopping progress on layout improvements/additions at present too.

My problems seem fairly minor compared to yours, though - all the best for your recovery.

I like your sense of proportion in what can realistically be achieved.

Come to think of it, I've 3 or 4 Parkside kits awaiting my attention, so that would be good therapy............

Kind regards

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Ken, really sorry to bother you again, last time for a while! Promise! Can you just measure the Mike Models water column for me? Height without finial and diameter of column itself? I know you model in OO but I can convert to O and guesstimate the other bits? Sorry for being a pain!

Cheers Les

Ragstone Models do an NBR water column in 7mm scale. It looks a lot more realistic than the clunky overscale Mikes Models one. If only someone would do an accurate one in 4mm as well.

http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/water-columns.html

Rob

Box looking good Ken. Have you finished your Parkside kits then? I'm onto my second van,but still not allowed into the loft!

Did you ever manage to get any info on the type of goods vans parked at the side of the shed?

Cheers Les

Hi Les

Thanks for your comment re the 'box - glazing now pretty well finished and painting started prior to fitting together and adding the roof, etc., etc., etc.

SWMBO commented - you're not going to add all that inside detail again are you? - Time will tell...............

The lethargy induced by my recuperative state meant no Parkside kits done, so you're ahead of me.

Hope your recovery continues well.

I'll get back to you on the vans.

Kind regards

Ken M

I have this photo of the shed in the ARG Steam Album Vol.2, attributed to A G Ellis showing an assortment of Vanfits in the siding in the loco yard which may help when modelling the area.

attachicon.gifLoco shed June 1957 A G Ellis 2.jpg

Ken M

Thanks so much Ken, what a great photo. Just need to try and identify some of those vans from the 'ribbing' or lack of it! Can also customise the doors and buffers. Any idea what year this was? After closure by the looks of it. Looks wintry or is that just the grainy photograph?

Regards Les ( hope you're keeping well)

Thanks so much Ken, what a great photo. Just need to try and identify some of those vans from the 'ribbing' or lack of it! Can also customise the doors and buffers. Any idea what year this was? After closure by the looks of it. Looks wintry or is that just the grainy photograph?

Regards Les ( hope you're keeping well)

Hi Les

Thanks for your message - I'm keeping reasonably well at the moment........

The photo caption is given as 31.06.57 - must have missed that year when June had 31 days!

The dullness is due to the age of the pic and its transfer through different media, I think.

Kind regards

Ken M

Hi Les

I've copied a detail of the photo, which may help to identify the wagons.

post-21954-0-71019200-1433323951_thumb.jpg

Very grainy, but vans 2 3 and 5 appear to be planked, while the edge on no.1 and van 4 are probably plywood.

See what you can make of them.

Ken

Hi Les

I've copied a detail of the photo, which may help to identify the wagons.

attachicon.gifVans at loco shed closer.JPG

Very grainy, but vans 2 3 and 5 appear to be planked, while the edge on no.1 and van 4 are probably plywood.

See what you can make of them.

Brilliant, thanks Ken. I'm sure someone on here would be able to give me chapter and verse on these just from thisphoto!

Les

Ken