Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

My activity at the moment is centred on installing working street lights on Keptie Street and at the high road bridge at Guthrie Port - I should take a photo of the WIP with the about to be superseded gas lampposts and the new lamp standards being added - the new lamps are from Frizinghall models and will need an extra pillar at the bottom to be high enough for double decker buses to pass underneath - I think they were designed as large platform lamps.  It's quite a challenge to fit the wiring unobtrusively.....

Meanwhile, here are more photos:-

One of my platform seats customised for  Arbroath.

post-21954-0-94333500-1394019643_thumb.jpg

Two shots of the coaling stage, one with recently assembled stair, to be properly fitted - straight!, and another with my old Gem Glen, which although in early BR livery, still retains its smokebox wingplates.  They were removed from all of the Glens, but the C15 and C16's retained them - I like the style of them, so there........

post-21954-0-99076000-1394019680_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-29339300-1394019715_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, folks.

K

• Like 5

Hi Graham

Great to see the diagram for Stannergate East - I was looking through some booklets of photos of old Dundee this afternoon, and found a shot of the building of the new Ferry Road which shows the West box with a local passenger train hurrying past - coincidence again???

As to the layout buildings, I have copies of the architects' drawings for all the station buildings plus the goods offices and the new loco sheds. (From the old Scottish Records Office in the 'seventies).

I also have the drawings of the planned replacement loco shed which was to be built on the up side on the site of the original sheds, but presumably superseded by the much larger sheds actually built.  My interpretation is that the smaller sheds were built, but on the site chosen for the new shed!  There's also a coaling stage based on the one at Seafield on the Forth, near Edinburgh.   How's that for modeller's licence!  The design is a quite common style, seen at various locations in Scotland.

The Imperial Hotel was built from photos and a large scale town plan obtained when I was working with Arbroath Town Council - again, it's an interpretation, but the aim is to "catch" the right atmosphere. From comments received, I seem to have managed that.

Regards

Ken

Hi Graham

There's a very nice photo of the gates at Carnoustie, just along the line with some admiring kids beside them - apparently wire mesh was added at Broughty Ferry to stop "kids" like us from climbing on them.......

Here are some photos of my gates during construction:-

post-21954-0-95013100-1394104182_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-87954000-1394104197_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-71771400-1394104219_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-26513800-1394104235_thumb.jpg

The old Airfix gates were used to get the basic size, but after that it was a case of referring to photos to get the rest of the detail right - the Stevens Scottish gates were quite different to those dahn Sath, (down South).

Ken

• Like 10

i did say I was installing new street lights - you've heard the story about not being able to make an omelette without breaking the eggs - here's the proof!

Buildings removed and signs of boring (!) activity to plant the new columns.

Two columns basically installed with one more to do - its wires will run down the rear of one of the steel supports for the overbridge and are being installed down a convenient "drainage pipe", so that the wires can be connected to the supply.

post-21954-0-92977200-1394112427_thumb.jpg

To provide a safe working environment, I've removed the main booking hall and the platform canopies, which also serves to show the amount of platform detail that is lost when the canopies are in position - but I know it's there!

post-21954-0-57325000-1394112452_thumb.jpg

Must get some lunch now.

• Like 8

Let there be light......

New lights installed on Keptie Street - old gas lamps to be removed - they're needed elsewhere!

post-21954-0-58997300-1394474023_thumb.jpg

Honestly they are vertical - it's all to do with the camera angle.

That leaves the high road bridge to be done...

Ken

• Like 4

I was over in Arbroath this morning, taking detail photos of the Wellgate footbridge and also the houses and other buildings in Dishland Street, etc.

I took this shot under the canopy of the main station booking office which I thought I'd share with you - I love the way the light strikes through, but also the superb detail of the canopy supports........

post-21954-0-01656900-1394578858_thumb.jpg

Must get going with the footbridge kit conversion tomorrow.

• Like 2

Adapted footbridge kit now "on the stocks" - main parts gathered together and initial fitting made on site.

Detail work in progress......

post-21954-0-49197900-1394997559_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-53160000-1394997588_thumb.jpg

Main lattice from Yorkshire Modelmakers, support frame from Plastruct girders.

Will post more as progress is made.

Ken

• Like 4

Footbridge progress - handrails fitted, (copper wire), and "toories" - pillar top decorations, turned from sprue.

Painting now on the list, and then fitting to the layout..........

post-21954-0-30450300-1395146577_thumb.jpg

Now must get out into the garden and cut the grass, prune the roses, earth up the asparagus, etc., etc., etc.

Ken

• Like 7

It's a bit wet today, so the garden's out - footbridge generally complete, with some final fitting into the ground to do + some weathering.

Some shots for your appraisal.....

post-21954-0-60415700-1395312803_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-61908500-1395312826_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-51162000-1395312843_thumb.jpg

It seems to fit in quite well with its surroundings and repays the time spent in kitbashing the original from York Modelmakers.

That signal cabin is in need of a detailed rebuild - drawings are in preparation!

Feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

• Like 9

Feed back would be appreciated.

I spent many hours on that footbridge in the 1970s... I reckon you caught it pretty well. A huge improvement over the Airfix footbridge. The support piers are just right, also the handrails. If you were to do it again you might make the "toories" about half the size. But if I could transport myself back to stand on it now, I'd be quite happy with toories the way you have them.

By the time I knew the mill building it was Giddings and Lewis-Fraser (I think) ... the big GLF logo was on the wall looking down on the crossing; yellow black and grey or white, I think. Your depiction fits very well with earlier photos I've seen.

To be complete it needs the gentle sound of 4 bells for the Up expresses, 8 on behind a class 40, less often a 47 or even an HST, from the open signalbox window next the footbridge. :-)

Well done! You should be very pleased with that model.

I spent many hours on that footbridge in the 1970s... I reckon you caught it pretty well. A huge improvement over the Airfix footbridge. The support piers are just right, also the handrails. If you were to do it again you might make the "toories" about half the size. But if I could transport myself back to stand on it now, I'd be quite happy with toories the way you have them.

By the time I knew the mill building it was Giddings and Lewis-Fraser (I think) ... the big GLF logo was on the wall looking down on the crossing; yellow black and grey or white, I think. Your depiction fits very well with earlier photos I've seen.

To be complete it needs the gentle sound of 4 bells for the Up expresses, 8 on behind a class 40, less often a 47 or even an HST, from the open signalbox window next the footbridge. :-)

Well done! You should be very pleased with that model.

Hi Graham

Thanks for your comments - if you're getting all these memories, it must all be worthwhile.

The factory was G,L-F by the time I was frequenting the place in the late 'sixties, but I've restored the naming to what it was before the Americans moved in.

You're quite right about the size of the "toories," but when I was turning them using my electric drill, the plastic was beginning to give way under the stress, so I imagine the only way to do them properly would be to use brass, but even then much care would be required.

I've never felt that the purchase of a lathe could be justified.

When I look at the ironwork of the bridge, I think the sides could do with a strip along the tops and bottoms to give a better impression of the girderwork.

That shouldn't take too long to add.........

I'm making a better signal cabin at the moment, so that's what occupying the brain cells just now.

Will post photos when enough progress has been made.

Regards

Ken

Since Graham noted, correctly, that the "toories ," on my footbridge were too big, I've substituted cut down Ratio signal finials and think that they look a lot better. I've also added some more microstrip along the tops and bottoms of the girders which again improves the look of the structure.

The signal box is moving along with main parts cut out and a start being made on the glazing - not for the faint-hearted!.

ttfn

post-21954-0-15478100-1395739940_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-82626800-1395739969_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic Ken. As someone who spends an average of 35 hours every week in Arbroath "North" signalbox, its great to get a look at the way things were. 

If there is anything I may be able to assist with from within the box, please don't hesitate to ask.

Derek H

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic Ken. As someone who spends an average of 35 hours every week in Arbroath "North" signalbox, its great to get a look at the way things were. 

If there is anything I may be able to assist with from within the box, please don't hesitate to ask.

Derek H

Hi Derek

Thanks for your kind comments - I'm currently making a more detailed, accurate model of your workplace which should come "off the stocks," next week, all being well.

I'd like to add some of the interior detail of the lever frame, desk, etc., and have a quite good photo of the levers taken a couple of years ago, which is helpful, but the box looks quite a pleasant place to work in.....

post-21954-0-59466300-1395826072_thumb.jpg

There seem to be an awful lot of white levers these days!

Ken M

• Like 2

Hi Graham R

There's no such thing as coincidence!

My query arose from a friend in town whose father worked at the 'box, along with most of the boxes in the immediate vicinity as he became a qualified relief signalman.

I'm already a member of the NBR Study Group, and in the interests of D & A equality, I should probably join "the other mob," as these groups can be so helpful with their archives of material, photos and other info.

I should be able to get in touch with the CR Soc. via their website.

Ken 

Hi Graham R

I've now received my membership from the CR Assoc., including the True Line mag. which has the signal cabin feature - great collection of photos showing the big difference between the two styles of box.

Thanks agin for the info.

Ken / Aberbrothock

Hi Derek

Thanks for your kind comments - I'm currently making a more detailed, accurate model of your workplace which should come "off the stocks," next week, all being well.

I'd like to add some of the interior detail of the lever frame, desk, etc., and have a quite good photo of the levers taken a couple of years ago, which is helpful, but the box looks quite a pleasant place to work in.....

attachicon.gifarbroath north levers.jpg

There seem to be an awful lot of white levers these days!

Ken M

Sadly, like the majority of other manual boxes which survive (Arbroath is fully manual - no power operated points here) there is a plethora of white levers.

Of the 70 levers which remain (2 have been removed) only 33 retain colour and of that only 22 remain in usable condition at this present moment in time.

Whilst the "view" outside the window isn't as picturesque as my previous box (Carmont), it can be entertaining and with the layout we have here it gives the possibility to do a bit more than just pass trains along the line.

Derek

Been quite busy this week and making progress on the North 'Box, and thought I'd add a shot of the working drawings, prepared using the time honoured method of counting bricks - without going cross-eyed in the process...............

post-21954-0-58603500-1396047171_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi John

Quite gratifying to see the layout presented quite professionally - but it always shows up the many areas needing improvement!

Ken

Hi Graham R

I've now received my membership from the CR Assoc., including the True Line mag. which has the signal cabin feature - great collection of photos showing the big difference between the two styles of box.

Thanks agin for the info.

Ken / Aberbrothock

Glad you joined, I'm sure you'll enjoy the magazine.

You mentioned a photo of Stannergate West signalbox in a local Dundee photo album .. can you remember which one? I've never seen a clear picture of that box.

regards

Graham

Glad you joined, I'm sure you'll enjoy the magazine.

You mentioned a photo of Stannergate West signalbox in a local Dundee photo album .. can you remember which one? I've never seen a clear picture of that box.

regards

Graham

Hi Graham 

It's a small album of photos of Old Broughty Ferry and Monifieth, published in 1980 by the  N B Traction Group, printed by Crown Press (Keighley) Ltd., compiled by A W Brotchie and J J Herd.  (ISBN No. 0 905069 15 3)

I'll try to scan in tomorrow, and if successful, add an image.

Regards

Ken

Hi Graham 

It's a small album of photos of Old Broughty Ferry and Monifieth, published in 1980 by the  N B Traction Group, printed by Crown Press (Keighley) Ltd., compiled by A W Brotchie and J J Herd.  (ISBN No. 0 905069 15 3)

I'll try to scan in tomorrow, and if successful, add an image.

Regards

Ken

Hi again Graham

I'm attaching a couple of scanned shots of the Stannergate West box - not a very good photo but it sets the scene.....

post-21954-0-15696100-1396254422.jpg

post-21954-0-29735300-1396254438.jpg

Just to show progress on the North Box, here's a pic of the "flat pack," of parts in production.

The upper front windows are looking quite good, with a couple in the open position, as it's a warm sunny day in Arbroath today!

(or it will be, once installed on the layout......)

post-21954-0-67665600-1396256347_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

New scale size North Box making progress..........

Thankfully there's enough space for it to fit in place!

post-21954-0-13157900-1396476350_thumb.jpg

Looks well with the rebuilt footbridge as well.

post-21954-0-51758500-1396476373_thumb.jpg

Still lots of work to do, plus the interior to be fitted out -  :stinker:

• Like 6