The Cathedral is back on the display shelf for the time being, but the 'To Do' list grows ever longer.

Since the Land Rover didn't break down this month, I went on a bit of a spree and splashed out on a few new projects, some of them are 'real life' projects in the clinic but others are destined for NWR service.

I already have the static model of 'Sigrid' under construction, which has now been fully lined. According to my rebooted NWR history, 8 Woolwich Arsenal-built N Class 'kits' were bought by the NWR after WW1. 5 were built as tender engines, and 3 as tank locos. The tender locos received more enclosed cabs (since it's grim up north) which later inspired the LMS.

I bought a rather playworn N Class on eBay. A good deal, very dusty, a few broken parts and a missing smoke deflector, no problem, but when I decided to run it in on the rollers, I left it going and came back to find it not working. What seems to have happened is that the piston rod pulled out of the cylinder, jammed against the cylinder, bent the connecting rod and the motor's then burnt out trying to turn it. I've managed to straighten the rod a bit but it's a real shame. Have asked Bachmann if they'll sell me a new motor but if that doesn't work I'll have to bodge something up.

Never mind, eh, on with the show...

A GBL Black 5 was dismantled for its cab. Surprisingly, the cab fitted with just a little dremeling needed.

The original running plate and steps will need to be trimmed away but I'm pleased with the fit so far.

IMG_9213.JPG

The dead motor and a potential replacement.

IMG_9215.JPG

403 'Thorkell' with 407 'Sigrid'

fullsizeoutput_2f0b.jpeg

Now those are a pair of very handsome locos. Keep it up Corbs, your ever expanding Sudrian fleet never ceases to impress!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I cannot fault Bachmann's customer service. The spares department got back to me very soon after, the motor from mine is discontinued now but I can order one of the new motor and cradles.

Since I'll have to modify the cradle anyway, I think I'm going to try boshing in a 3-6v motor of my own and possibly look at converting to RC, or using diodes to bring the voltage down. If it all goes wahoonie-shaped, I can just get a newer motor and cradle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rear frame extensions being made up.

post-898-0-80001100-1539641676_thumb.jpeg

I'd extended the rear bufferbeam down as it sat too high to begin with (as the front and rear were from two different locos), now it's level with the front.

post-898-0-48637600-1539641694_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-73247100-1539641715_thumb.jpeg

Smokebox door handrail added, brake pipes, coupling hooks. Ready for dullcote, coal, weathering and plates.

post-898-0-00207100-1539641736_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-48018000-1539641751_thumb.jpeg

Rectangular buffers seem to be a Crovan's Gate trademark.

post-898-0-80001100-1539641676_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-48637600-1539641694_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-73247100-1539641715_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-00207100-1539641736_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-48018000-1539641751_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

A test of the tiny 'spud' motor bogie using Deltang components and a 3.7v battery from Micron Radio Control. Weighed down with a few pennies and noticeably smoother/less jumpy when pushing the vans. This had inertia control at about quarter/halfway on the dial.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

MORE SPUDS.

Got a SWB spud in the post and it runs a lot better then the LWB ones, luck of the draw I guess. Hooked up the RC gear and tried it out. Pretty amazing slow speed performance over insulfrog points*.

*Yes, I know the type of frog wouldn't make a difference to RC, but the point (hohoho) is that a spud would not normally traverse an insulfrog other than at about Mach 2.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 9

MORE SPUDS.

Got a SWB spud in the post and it runs a lot better then the LWB ones, luck of the draw I guess. Hooked up the RC gear and tried it out. Pretty amazing slow speed performance over insulfrog points*.

*Yes, I know the type of frog wouldn't make a difference to RC, but the point (hohoho) is that a spud would not normally traverse an insulfrog other than at about Mach 2.

That is some impressive slow speed running Corbs, wish I could get my spud to run like that.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Oh heck, they appear to be breeding - suggest you separate them at once Corbs or goodness knows how many you’ll end up with...!

Is this the start of the Royal Navy-themed fleet that we talked about a few pages back?

• RMweb Premium

Possibly even 2(3000) + 3(8K)...

The subtleties of the Robinson 2-8-0s are beyond my knowledge I'm afraid, but I deduce that the three engines with ross pop safety valves are engines built by the Great Central as Class 8K and the two with top feed are engines built to ROD order? But I imagine that none of them are in anything close to as-built condition, at least as far as boilers are concerned?

Welcome to the great Corbs christmas give away! These are the five prizes... the winner of all of them must have a terrier for an avatar and a number in their username...

Nah, the winner's avatar must be representative of a railway company that had compound locomotives.

The subtleties of the Robinson 2-8-0s are beyond my knowledge I'm afraid, but I deduce that the three engines with ross pop safety valves are engines built by the Great Central as Class 8K and the two with top feed are engines built to ROD order? But I imagine that none of them are in anything close to as-built condition, at least as far as boilers are concerned?

Top-feed engines are those which were bought by the GWR post-1918.  Further than that- well, trying to pick your way through the 8K/O4/ROD variants is a minefield.  The Bachmann model is for the ROD variant rather than the original GCR type, of which three were then bought by the GCR (GCR #'s 1, 5 and 8), the remainder then being sold off piecemeal to the GWR, LNWR/ LMS (for their tenders), LNER (in large numbers post-1923) and abroad to China and Australia. 

• RMweb Gold

Oh heck, they appear to be breeding - suggest you separate them at once Corbs or goodness knows how many you’ll end up with...!

Is this the start of the Royal Navy-themed fleet that we talked about a few pages back?

It's alright, I think I've successfully castrated the alpha...

It is indeed the start of the tradition of naming goods locos after warships built at Barrow. I already have Indomitable (a Stanier 8F, sister loco to Illustrious) and Colossus (WD 8F, sister loco is Pioneer) waiting for their turn in the paint shop. I'm in two minds about naming one Vanguard as it's a great name and fits the criteria but that ship's end was somewhat ignominious.

Three ROD locos were kept by the NWR and the two GWR examples are in the process of being scrapped for parts...

By the way, if anyone is interested, the three RODs were about £70-75 each pre-owned, and the GWR versions are currently even cheaper at £56 each if you want one!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/34450/Bachmann_Branchline_31_128_Class_30xx_2_8_0_ROD_3036_in_BR_black_with_early_emblem_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

I think the top feed and safety valve bonnet should be removable if you want to make a cheap version of the more common one.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3