'ACE' headboard sought

I'm finishing off an original, blue-livery,  'Merchant Navy' kit-build (OO) for a Model Rail feature. I would like to add an 'Atlantic Coast Express' headboard but I need the early 'big' version with the curved cut-out top corners, NOT the straight rectangular version. I'm having real trouble tracking one down from any of the usual suspects, printed or etched. Any ideas? (other than make it yourself)

CHRIS LEIGH

I  seem  to  recall    this  being  available  years  ago  as  a  white  metal  casting  along  with  a  set  of  printed  card  carriage  boards.

Sure  Ive  got  one  somewhere  but  cant  find  it  Im  afraid.

I  would  be  tempted  to  print  off  a  photo  of  a  full  size  one  &  cut  it  out.

Pete

I  seem  to  recall    this  being  available  years  ago  as  a  white  metal  casting  along  with  a  set  of  printed  card  carriage  boards.

Sure  Ive  got  one  somewhere  but  cant  find  it  Im  afraid.

I  would  be  tempted  to  print  off  a  photo  of  a  full  size  one  &  cut  it  out.

Pete

I'm thinking I may have to make one up on computer and print if off. They were only painted boards after all. However, the question then, is were the backgrounds blue for blue locos? The Night Ferry and Golden Arrow boards certainly had both blue and green backgrounds to suit the locomotive colour but did the ACE? The only pics, are of course, black and white.

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Fox transfers also do an etched version of the shaped SR version (including the hole for the cente bufferbeam lamp position) it is available in green only I am not aware that this was ever in blue.

......and I was unaware there was a green Night Ferry headboard. Blue and green Golden Arrow headboards - yes.

John Scott-Morgan in "The Original Bulleid Pacifics" p68 has a colour picture of the Bournemouth Belle with the old-style headboard in green on the blue 35012 in June 1951.

I suspect Nine Elms was not quite as fussy as Stewart's Lane in these delicate matters of taste!

I'm finishing off an original, blue-livery,  'Merchant Navy' kit-build (OO) for a Model Rail feature. I would like to add an 'Atlantic Coast Express' headboard but I need the early 'big' version with the curved cut-out top corners, NOT the straight rectangular version. I'm having real trouble tracking one down from any of the usual suspects, printed or etched. Any ideas? (other than make it yourself)

CHRIS LEIGH

I thought the origanal merchant navies where green?

• RMweb Gold

Peter

All but three (11,14 & 23) of the Merchant Navy class gained BR Express Passenger Blue with black and white lining between July 1949 and March 1951 all were still in original air smoothed form then. They all received Brunswick green between June 1951 and July 1954.

Archived