Bristol Bath Road TMD - Plan shelved, new idea Ashton Gate Station/Platform

Intercity 125

Like the new plan 125, a big roundy roundy in the garden for all that coaching stock????? :sungum:

Depot idea is looking good, and the difference with this one is, it's not all straight, there is a gentle curve off, which will give a different perspective.

Following now, and looking forward to more,

Jinty ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

HI all, I was nearly very fickle and changed my mind again, then read all these positive responses and have finally decided Bath Road is the one. Unfortunately, I haven't done anything except buy large quantities of PVA and foam which will be glued to the baseboard. After some testing with some track laid out, I think it might work. :no:  Here are some pictures of the trackplan as it might have been if I hadn't read this 15103110542_1266b84e90_b.jpgTrack plan idea by firstbusphotos, on Flickr

Cheers, IC125

• 2 months later...

What size are your baseboards?

Sorry vac_basher, I missed your post, they are 8' by 1' 6", so not too wide. The only problem with Bath Road is that there isn't much scope for running all my coaching stock. Maybe a garden railway?

I have now glued down the foam, tracklaying next.

IC125

• 4 months later...

There has been no progress recently, but I have been thinking the idea over so many times, and I decided Bath Road doesn't fit my requirements of running coaching stock and wagons, so the idea has been shelved for another day. I have found another good prototype from the Bristol area (see a theme? :P ), Ashton Gate Station (previously Ashton Gate Platform). It was a double track through station with an access bridge at one end forming an ideal scenic break and Ashton Junction at the other end, leading to Ashton Meadows Sidings, part of which shall be modelled alongside the station. Now all that remains of the station and junction are two abandoned, overgrown platforms and a single track running from Royal Portbury Dock to Bristol Temple Meads with only freight trains using the line. My model would show it mostly in 1984 when the station was temporarily reopened for the Billy Graham event going on at nearby Ashton Gate Stadium and in 1985 for the GW150 celebrations. At that time all of the infrastructure was still complete, albeit in a slightly overgrown condition, but the track was finally lifted in the early 2000s, so now all that remains of Ashton Meadows Sidings and Ashton Junction are overgrown trackbeds. Sadly, the track on Ashton Swing Bridge has now been lifted, making sure of the Bristol Harbour Railway never being extended further than the Create Centre.

A very useful site for my research on the railway network around Ashton Vale is bristol-rail.co.uk, the page on Ashton Gate is second from top on the left, and in the captions of some of the photos on that page are links to Ashton Junction page and Ashton Meadows Sidings page. They include useful trackplans from 1988 as well as many useful reference photos.

That's all for now, I'll get some photos when more track arrives. IC125.

You are only doing this because City are promoted!!!!!

P

Me? Interested in football? I certainly hope not! It is true the station was originally built for the football stadium nearby, but I wouldn't bother supporting them. It's probably more likely to be promoting the connected (or it used to be at least) Bristol Harbour Railway.

IC125

Archived